2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The way I approach hold situations is this: if its a low yield school (GWU, NYMC, Georgetown, to name a few specifics) then I would assume a rejection unless told otherwise later on. At the same time, I am pretty sure that there are some schools that just hold practically everyone decent at the beginning of the cycle and hand over very few interviews initially (typically URM, stellar stats, alumni, etc) and then open them up after they see more of the applicants for the current cycle, including many of those initially on hold.

I understand that some people will argue that on hold isn't a rejection and that applicants every year go from being on hold to interview invite later in the cycle. Although that may be true, when a school has 10,000+ applicants and only like 750 interviews or less if you don't get an interview invite after the first look of your application, your chances probably go way way down (and in my opinion non-existent at certain low yield schools). And a couple of positive sdn anecdotes doesn't exactly excite me about my chances as an applicant on hold at these schools lol.
Very true. The only school I can think of where a hold still may turn into an II is with GW

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you that every year people are offered interviews off hold from here. Take a look through the previous thread and you’ll see, usually it’s around the start of the spring semester. Very common.

Reactions: 1 user
@Unlimited Apps I understand where you’re coming from, but that’s not how it works. You’re making a lot of assumptions about the “first look” and what goes on behind the scenes. It really isn’t that simple or black and white, as much as applicants wish it was (myself included when it was my turn to deal with this).

Members don't see this ad :)
@Unlimited Apps I understand where you’re coming from, but that’s not how it works. You’re making a lot of assumptions about the “first look” and what goes on behind the scenes. It really isn’t that simple or black and white, as much as applicants wish it was (myself included when it was my turn to deal with this).

You are probably right for New York Medical College; you clearly have more knowledge than I have for NYMC admissions.

But, I don't think I am truly wrong in the grand scheme of things.

@Unlimited Apps for sure, every place has its own strategy for handling app>interview and I’m sure your assessment of things is accurate for some places, especially high volume schools.

Plus there’s no telling how the changes to AAMC rules will affect things this year especially regarding waitlists.

How do you know if you're complete. My portal says nothing including letters even though I have a committee letter from amcas
That's weird. My letters show up and in the section called SECONDARY APPLICATION & ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE REVIEW they have a date written and it says I was marked complete and I'm under review.

That's weird. My letters show up and in the section called SECONDARY APPLICATION & ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE REVIEW they have a date written and it says I was marked complete and I'm under review.
That's odd. Theres nothing for me. I will call them

@21Rush12 how is the COL in the area? Also I see their COA is pretty high and was wondering if you know anything about scholarships/ways to decrease the debt burden (besides not maxing out your loans and stuff like that).

@21Rush12 how is the COL in the area? Also I see their COA is pretty high and was wondering if you know anything about scholarships/ways to decrease the debt burden (besides not maxing out your loans and stuff like that).

I grew up in westchester county, and am living here in my gap year. It is a fairly expensive place to live, from rent, to grocery stores, to gas.

For example, a 1 bedroom near me might range from 1400-1700 depending on the location. COL here is certainly more expensive than an area farther from the city, or just outside of NY.

Got an II last Thursday! I’m pumped about this school. LM ~68, complete mid-to-late June

Reactions: 4 users
Hey has anyone else emailed about the student hosts? If so, how long did it take to hear back?

I emailed on Sept 6 about my interview on October 11. I don't want to be annoying and follow up already- but I want to make hotel arrangements if they cant accommodate me.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some things that excite people about this school? I’m having a hard time distinguishing what makes NYMC special.

What are some things that excite people about this school? I’m having a hard time distinguishing what makes NYMC special.
Well if they give me an II, I’ll be hella excited about this school

It’ll be special cause they gave me an II and hopefully and acceptance ;)

Reactions: 1 users

I’ve always loved the community feel, and the people are awesome. Proximity to the city is great as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Not acceptable to have 2 science and 1 MD letter? I do not have a non-science :/

Not acceptable to have 2 science and 1 MD letter? I do not have a non-science :/

Pretty sure you need a non-science, but you can email to be sure. Is it possible for you to find a non-science professor who could write a letter to fulfill the requirement?

Pretty sure you need a non-science, but you can email to be sure. Is it possible for you to find a non-science professor who could write a letter to fulfill the requirement?

where does it say we need a non-science? I'm missing that too yikes

I'm a non-trad and so I haven't taken a non-science in a long time...

I'm a non-trad and so I haven't taken a non-science in a long time...

I called before submitting because I'm in the same boat. The admissions person that I spoke with said that time since graduation would be taken into account and that non-trads are not penalized for lacking non-science letters. She said that this would be handled automatically, no need for a waiver.

I called before submitting because I'm in the same boat. The admissions person that I spoke with said that time since graduation would be taken into account and that non-trads are not penalized for lacking non-science letters. She said that this would be handled automatically, no need for a waiver.

Excellent! This is great info to have, thank you!

II today! Was complete 8/3. The dates offered were only at the end of January :eek:

Anyone else complete late July and still under review? Surprised I haven't been put on hold yet

Reactions: 5 users
II earlier today!! Complete 8/7 I think... OOS. LizzyM 63.3. URM.

So excited :bigtears:. Earliest date was January 24th.....

Where are people seeing holds on their accounts? I have been complete since 7/30 with no change

I'm so freaking excited!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got an II today, and scheduled for the first date available (January 17).

got an II, interview dates are at the end of January. Complete mid-august.

It says my secondary was successfully submitted on 8/18 but for the Letters of Evaluation section it says:
"In order to view your received evaluations, your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office."
Anyone else having this problem? I sent all my letters from the moment I applied to the school.

January dates already?! Dang. Complete 7/13 and nothing. Losing hope a little bit

It says my secondary was successfully submitted on 8/18 but for the Letters of Evaluation section it says:
"In order to view your received evaluations, your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office."
Anyone else having this problem? I sent all my letters from the moment I applied to the school.
I have the same thing.

late to the game here, but I was complete mid-July and received II last week of august. LM 67, OOS, no ties to NY

Note that a pre-interview hold can turn into a II, especially if they were just waiting for CASPER
Is there not a difference between them though? Being on hold for a Casper score prior to your app being complete is different then being on hold after completion right?

Is there not a difference between them though? Being on hold for a Casper score prior to your app being complete is different then being on hold after completion right?

Yes. Your app starts to be reviewed even before casper. They don’t necessarily hold for a pending casper