2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is NYMC receptive to in the area requests? Will be in NYC and wondering if they can review my file so I do not have to travel again as I have financial strain. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My app is still not on hold and I haven't heard anything, do you think it's still under review and they haven't made a decision yet? Or just forgot to change my status haha

I’m in the same situation and am wondering this as well

I’m in the same situation and am wondering this as well
They have a ton of apps to go through! I’m an M4 here, during my application cycle I literally heard nothing from them until March.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is NYMC receptive to in the area requests? Will be in NYC and wondering if they can review my file so I do not have to travel again as I have financial strain. Thanks.

Worth trying! Send an email or call, the worst they can say is no they’re not able to or not going to interview, which still helps you plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, could someone explain to me what it means if your app is on hold? I recently sent a letter of interest, and when I checked the portal, I saw they placed me on hold back in September. Is it a silent rejection? Also, is it possible to still get an interview?

Sorry if this's already been asked but does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate here, and whether it's influenced by how late you interview?

Sorry if this's already been asked but does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate here, and whether it's influenced by how late you interview?

I interview pretty late and I asked them this question. I was told that NYMC does not interview for the waitlist. If they invited you to interview it means they have a spot for you. That being said, I am sure it cannot hurt to call and ask if there is anything earlier available. Good luck!
(Not sure of the stats but I think they told us they interviewed ~1000 applicants out of ~12000 applications. Class size is 212)

Reactions: 1 users
No difference in chance of acceptance based on when you interview. It’s truly rolling and they don’t have the time or money to interview people they don’t think they would accept.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL so is a hold better than nothing? It just seems like they saw my app and went "Meh".
To be quite honest from what I have seen on here people get holds and their portal isn't updated for weeks/months. You see lots of people say "wow it says I was on hold starting 2 or 3 weeks ago and I have checked every day since." So I think a lot of people in your situation may already have a hold and not know it (just saying there is a chance that is the case). But you may also not be! WHO KNOWS lol

When is the next round of decisions here ?

maybe everything is delayed because of thanksgiving break?

More likely delayed from the insane snowstorm we had on Thursday delaying things Friday. They’re in office today and tomorrow probably catching up.

Reactions: 2 users
II today, was on hold previously. So some hope for those still waiting!! Had dates next week and mid December. I chose a date in December. Hopefully, this doesn't affect my chance of an acceptance.

Reactions: 10 users
II today, was on hold previously. So some hope for those still waiting!! Had dates next week and mid December. I chose a date in December. Hopefully, this doesn't affect my chance of an acceptance.
Congrats! When were you place on hold?

Can you tell us your stats, and if your is or oos?

Question: Does it matter a whole lot if you interview later in the cycle vs earlier? I feel I should have scheduled for next week rather than mid-December. Just felt I would be more confident with more preparation.

Question: Does it matter a whole lot if you interview later in the cycle vs earlier? I feel I should have scheduled for next week rather than mid-December. Just felt I would be more confident with more preparation.

Scroll up about 15 posts and you’ll see this exact question asked and answered

Hey, could someone explain to me what it means if your app is on hold? I recently sent a letter of interest, and when I checked the portal, I saw they placed me on hold back in September. Is it a silent rejection? Also, is it possible to still get an interview?

where did you send the letter of interest?

where did you send the letter of interest?

I sent it to the admissions email, but it really hasn't had any effect for me. They replied that my app was still under review and interviews are conducted through March.

I sent it to the admissions email, but it really hasn't had any effect for me. They replied that my app was still under review and interviews are conducted through March.

ahh i see. Did they say they added it to your app?

They have a ton of apps to go through! I’m an M4 here, during my application cycle I literally heard nothing from them until March.

So you heard back about an II invite in March and II'ed in April and was then accepted? I guess later interviews don't hurt then?

Anyone else here dying in anticipation for the next wave of acceptances?

The most recent data from US News World Report (posted on r/premed in August) claims the post-II for IS and OOS is 66.8% and 55.6%, respectively

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!
I'm excited to be interviewing here in a few weeks.

I just had a quick question on the review process. Does the admissions committee do a re-review of my application along with my MMI, or is my acceptance completely based on my MMI performance like in other schools? Just wondering!

Good luck to all :)
Congrats on the II! Perhaps someone else could correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most every school reviews your entire application along with MMI or traditional interview feedback when making a final decision.

Regardless, enjoy your experience. NYMC put on a great interview day!

This may have been asked already, but I was wondering if there is a traditional interview along with the MMI cycles, or is it just MMI? Thanks!

Also, was there a secondary application for this school? I am forgetting since it was so long ago and it is not letting me open any secondary information on the portal. Thanks again!

Also, was there a secondary application for this school? I am forgetting since it was so long ago and it is not letting me open any secondary information on the portal. Thanks again!
There was a secondary app but there were no essays

Anyone else on edge at the possibility of maybe hearing something this week.

Thank you very much! Do you have any advice on how to prepare for it? I'm new to the whole MMI thing, and I've heard good and bad things about it.
Unfortunately, I can't give any specifics as the school requested confidentiality. Try Googling some MMI practice questions, though, that's what I did to prepare and at least that way you'll be familiar with the format. Just relax and enjoy the day! All of the staff do a great job at making you feel welcome. Best of luck!