2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wouldn’t it be quite the opposite? As students are supposed to be currently holding only one acceptance (while on waitlists). They’ll lock in housing for their acceptance, thereby preventing a spot to open up.

Essentially it would be a lock on the waitlist movement, as people commit to their single acceptance.

Just some thoughts
Every school has different rules and some schools don’t require a finite commitment yet. From what I understand each school is enforcing differently and most of the new amcas rules are “guidelines”

Members don't see this ad.

Every school has different rules and some schools don’t require a finite commitment yet. From what I understand each school is enforcing differently and most of the new amcas rules are “guidelines”

Basically the idea is there is people with multiple acceptances still who haven't narrowed down to a single choice. This combined with the fact that many schools may have under accepted due to new traffic rules. Makes several adcoms on the board believe that waitlist movement will be higher than usual but it will be much later than usual.

Any current student can comment...Can students receive scholarship as well as need based grant? Or is it one or the other?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they are accepting anyone else? I would like to know soon so that I can ask them what I should doing in my gap year since its my top choice.

Does anyone know if they are accepting anyone else? I would like to know soon so that I can ask them what I should doing in my gap year since its my top choice.

I sent an email asking for feedback on my app and they told me since I’m currently on the waitlist they aren’t able to give me any. Looks like we have to wait til the cycle is over :/

I sent an email asking for feedback on my app and they told me since I’m currently on the waitlist they aren’t able to give me any. Looks like we have to wait til the cycle is over :/
bummer. I asked them if there has been much movement and they said there has been some but less than in past years. Im hoping thats just because the new plan to enroll thing on AMCAS. Keeping my fingers crossed because its my top choice.

Are first years guaranteed housing? I got the housing email and I’m hesitant to fill out the application considering you only have 24 hours to cancel then and I’m on a waitlist.

Are first years guaranteed housing? I got the housing email and I’m hesitant to fill out the application considering you only have 24 hours to cancel then and I’m on a waitlist.
I’m also on waitlists but I filled it out. They said you have 24 hours to cancel after you get your housing assignment, but my understanding is that we don’t receive the assignment until July anyways

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know how to withdraw from the waitlist?

When was the housing application email sent out? And what’s the deadline? I’m on the waitlist too but I haven’t got any correspondence from them in a bit

Members don't see this ad :)
When was the housing application email sent out? And what’s the deadline? I’m on the waitlist too but I haven’t got any correspondence from them in a bit
I think they meant they were accepted to NYMC but on other waitlists. I don’t think we get a housing application if we’re still on the waitlist and not accepted yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it still worth it at this point to send a grade update to NYMC? I'm currently on the waitlist and have been since 3/15.

And where should I send my transcript containing my grade update?

Is it still worth it at this point to send a grade update to NYMC? I'm currently on the waitlist and have been since 3/15.

And where should I send my transcript containing my grade update?

At this point just send what you have, it can’t hurt.

All updates get sent to MDAdmit email with AMCAS ID number. You can probably send unofficial transcript as a PDF but check with them to be sure.

At this point just send what you have, it can’t hurt.

All updates get sent to MDAdmit email with AMCAS ID number. You can probably send unofficial transcript as a PDF but check with them to be sure.
So I should call the office of admissions before sending anything?

So I should call the office of admissions before sending anything?

I’d say send unofficial and offer to provide an official one if they want it just to be thorough (spoiler alert: they will probably not want it).

Who knows if it helps but it shows interest and good grades rarely hurt you.

Good luck!

Got accepted to an instate MD so will be withdrawing myself from the waitlist. Good luck all!

Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone called the admissions office recently?

Gave them a quick call last week. Was told there is currently WL movement and it may continue well into late July.

Considering this is my top choice I’m still hoping for the best!

Oof, anyone else starting to loose a little bit of hope regarding waitlist movement?

Seems like a lot of other schools are pulling people off waitlists. Haven’t heard/ seen anything regarding NYMC

Edit: anyway I hope we all hear good news soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Oof, anyone else starting to loose a little bit of hope regarding waitlist movement?

Seems like a lot of other schools are pulling people off waitlists. Haven’t heard/ seen anything regarding NYMC

Edit: anyway I hope we all hear good news soon!

Maybe towards the end of June when some of the other schools CTE deadlines have passed?

Maybe towards the end of June when some of the other schools CTE deadlines have passed?

I hope!! NYMC did a fantastic job of selling their campus and community during the interview.

I hope!! NYMC did a fantastic job of selling their campus and community during the interview.

I agree. I really loved the school which makes the wait super difficult.

But it's okay. I can be patient.

Just withdrew my acceptance! I hope the spot goes to one of you :)

Reactions: 10 users
Yes, most likely the class is filled with PTE and CTE applicants. Multiple people have called and said that they either can't or won't expect WL movement for this cycle. There's no reason to think that the admissions committee is just sitting on empty seats.

As long as people like @cj2013 are considerate and withdraw their WL or acceptance (if they know that they have no intention of going to NYMC) then there will be a slow trickle of WL acceptances up until the start of class. There's nothing more we can do so let's just sit back and relax.
Agree with what you're saying, but thats not true about waitlist movement thus far. I've called a few times and they said there has already been movement... just less than in past years.

So I talked to the financial aid office. They stated that what we would get in cash is offered financial aid - tuition and fees. calculating everything from a full package I see thats only $13,000 and some change. Wondering if anyone has any insight?

So I talked to the financial aid office. They stated that what we would get in cash is offered financial aid - tuition and fees. calculating everything from a full package I see thats only $13,000 and some change. Wondering if anyone has any insight?

Sounds about right yes.

Not sure what you mean by "that's not true about the WL movement thus far." What are you specifically referring to?
the fact that they haven't or won't expect WL movement. When I spoke to them they said that waitlist movement is currently happening and will continue to happen.

I called today and I was only told that “they are still considering people on the waitlist for acceptance”

just really bummed out with NYMC. I was hoping there would be such a huge movement in May but both me and my friend are still waitlisted there. Do you guys think there'll be movement after July 8th (CTE deadline)? The website says waitlist goes until mid July so really starting to loose hope here.

just really bummed out with NYMC. I was hoping there would be such a huge movement in May but both me and my friend are still waitlisted there. Do you guys think there'll be movement after July 8th (CTE deadline)? The website says waitlist goes until mid July so really starting to loose hope here.
the lady i spoke to today said there hasn't been any recent waitlist movement but there was overall movement this cycle. She said she has no clue if movement will continue or anything in that regard

I
the lady i spoke to today said there hasn't been any recent waitlist movement but there was overall movement this cycle. She said she has no clue if movement will continue or anything in that regard
I’m wondering if they will have a few last minute acceptances and if they will offer more people differed acceptances.

I
I’m wondering if they will have a few last minute acceptances and if they will offer more people differed acceptances.
Hmm you mean deferred acceptance? As in starting next year? See I wouldn’t want that lol :/. I mean IF they start taking people off the waitlist can’t they just fill them in for THIS cycle? I don’t see why they would defer it, ya know?

Now that the CTE date has passed do we think there will be a small wave of waitlist movement?

so was there any WL movement at all for this school this year?

so was there any WL movement at all for this school this year?

It looks like the traffic rule change had a profound effect on waitlist handling across the board as many people expected it would. Just plain unpredictable really.