Nov 6, 2018
Not sure yet. Why don’t we wait until we hear from a few more people who got off the waitlist before we start worrying.
From last year's thread it seems there was little to no waitlist movement with a few being offered acceptances for the following year and some of those people then also got off the waitlist for the current year.

Reactions: SecretWombat
Oct 25, 2018
From last year's thread it seems there was little to no waitlist movement with a few being offered acceptances for the following year and some of those people then also got off the waitlist for the current year.
MSAR says 50 people got accepted off the waitlist, I would say thats far more accurate than looking at SDN. Plus several ppl are withdrawing still so we still have a lot of time. In addition no school is sure about their current status this year considering waitlists havent really started moving.

Nov 6, 2018
MSAR says 50 people got accepted off the waitlist, I would say thats far more accurate than looking at SDN. Plus several ppl are withdrawing still so we still have a lot of time. In addition no school is sure about their current status this year considering waitlists havent really started moving.
I hope so, I'd rather not wait a year and I'm sure none of you would either.

Mar 8, 2019
50 off MSAR .. last or current cycle?

Nov 6, 2018
I spoke to NYMC today regarding waitlist movement and the early assurance program. They are not expecting any waitlist movement for the rest of the cycle, this does not mean it won't happen, but they made it pretty clear on the phone that there should be zero expectation for any movement. It seems like the early assurance program was first used last year (hence not being on MSAR) and they offered it to 11 students, it was not clear if that number will remain the same this cycle.

Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I spoke to NYMC today regarding waitlist movement and the early assurance program. They are not expecting any waitlist movement for the rest of the cycle, this does not mean it won't happen, but they made it pretty clear on the phone that there should be zero expectation for any movement. It seems like the early assurance program was first used last year (hence not being on MSAR) and they offered it to 11 students, it was not clear if that number will remain the same this cycle.
Damn, crazy that they said not to expect any waitlist movement because there is 2 more months still until the CTE date essentially at this school and many others

Nov 6, 2018
Damn, crazy that they said not to expect any waitlist movement because there is 2 more months still until the CTE date essentially at this school and many others
I'm sure there will be a few spots, but even last years SDN movement was painfully small. I think there was at least one person who was placed in early assurance but then got off the waitlist in the summer. NYMC must have just gotten better at predicting yield.

Reactions: Shammyguy3

Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm sure there will be a few spots, but even last years SDN movement was painfully small. I think there was at least one person who was placed in early assurance but then got off the waitlist in the summer. NYMC must have just gotten better at predicting yield.
Thanks for the info!

May 14, 2019
Do you remember who you talked to?

Aug 14, 2018
Wow, that’s surprising considering it seems like a lot of people have been giving up their acceptances, more than I’ve seen people giving them up at other schools. And I know quite a few people who have said they will give up their acceptances if accepted anywhere else. Thanks for sharing this information!

Reactions: premedxx
Nov 6, 2018
Wow, that’s surprising considering it seems like a lot of people have been giving up their acceptances, more than I’ve seen people giving them up at other schools. And I know quite a few people who have said they will give up their acceptances if accepted anywhere else. Thanks for sharing this information!
Just passing on what I heard. Keep in mind it's very possible they overaccepted as many schools intentionally do, so a withdrawal does not directly change the waitlist.

Reactions: celtic6643
May 14, 2019
Very interesting — clearly different from past years.
I think that waitlist movement will just be later as the smoke settles. Eventually people with multiple accepts are going to look for housing and what not. So eventually it’ll clear up. I just wonder if the numbers MSAR posted will hold true.

Reactions: asdfwelldoit
Mar 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that waitlist movement will just be later as the smoke settles. Eventually people with multiple accepts are going to look for housing and what not. So eventually it’ll clear up. I just wonder if the numbers MSAR posted will hold true.
Wouldn’t it be quite the opposite? As students are supposed to be currently holding only one acceptance (while on waitlists). They’ll lock in housing for their acceptance, thereby preventing a spot to open up.

Essentially it would be a lock on the waitlist movement, as people commit to their single acceptance.

Just some thoughts

May 14, 2019
Wouldn’t it be quite the opposite? As students are supposed to be currently holding only one acceptance (while on waitlists). They’ll lock in housing for their acceptance, thereby preventing a spot to open up.

Essentially it would be a lock on the waitlist movement, as people commit to their single acceptance.

Just some thoughts
Every school has different rules and some schools don’t require a finite commitment yet. From what I understand each school is enforcing differently and most of the new amcas rules are “guidelines”

Oct 25, 2018
Every school has different rules and some schools don’t require a finite commitment yet. From what I understand each school is enforcing differently and most of the new amcas rules are “guidelines”
Basically the idea is there is people with multiple acceptances still who haven't narrowed down to a single choice. This combined with the fact that many schools may have under accepted due to new traffic rules. Makes several adcoms on the board believe that waitlist movement will be higher than usual but it will be much later than usual.

Dec 11, 2018
Does anyone know if they are accepting anyone else? I would like to know soon so that I can ask them what I should doing in my gap year since its my top choice.
I sent an email asking for feedback on my app and they told me since I’m currently on the waitlist they aren’t able to give me any. Looks like we have to wait til the cycle is over :/

May 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I sent an email asking for feedback on my app and they told me since I’m currently on the waitlist they aren’t able to give me any. Looks like we have to wait til the cycle is over :/
bummer. I asked them if there has been much movement and they said there has been some but less than in past years. Im hoping thats just because the new plan to enroll thing on AMCAS. Keeping my fingers crossed because its my top choice.

crzysk8er62

2+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2017
Are first years guaranteed housing? I got the housing email and I’m hesitant to fill out the application considering you only have 24 hours to cancel then and I’m on a waitlist.

Jul 25, 2018
Are first years guaranteed housing? I got the housing email and I’m hesitant to fill out the application considering you only have 24 hours to cancel then and I’m on a waitlist.
I’m also on waitlists but I filled it out. They said you have 24 hours to cancel after you get your housing assignment, but my understanding is that we don’t receive the assignment until July anyways

Reactions: 21Rush12
May 24, 2019
When was the housing application email sent out? And what’s the deadline? I’m on the waitlist too but I haven’t got any correspondence from them in a bit