2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email asking if I still wanted to stay on the waitlist
Interviewed in the Fall... hopefully that means we can expect waitlist movement soon!
Had you answered the initial waitlist notification saying you’ll accept a spot on the list?

Members don't see this ad.

Had you answered the initial waitlist notification saying you’ll accept a spot on the list?
Yes I did! Maybe they only asked people who already have an acceptance at another school or planned to enroll at another school? That could make sense

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe there’s no pattern as to why some people got the email and others didn’t

I know a lot of people posted they were withdrawing their A's before April 30th, but has there been any waitlist movement since than?

Does anyone know the average step scores?

I really wouldn’t recommend using this as a metric in choosing your school. Your ability to do well on the test will be in your hands when the time comes as you’ll see when you get closer to it. Individual goals/effort/prep are much greater influence than what school you’re at.

These numbers aren’t easily found and random reddit sources are not reliable, so it’s hard to know in the first place.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When could we expect waitlist movement?

Reactions: 1 user
So safe to say if we didn't hear anything by now hope is lost?

Since not one person posted to SDN getting off of waitlist I doubt it was very many people that came off. According to MSAR around 50 come off so I wouldn’t lose all hope yet.

So safe to say if we didn't hear anything by now hope is lost?
I’ve called and been told they expect a lot of late movement (like June maybe even July). The new rules have left them more unsure than usual at this point. So the movement so far is very minimal.

Did anyone get that email this morning to remain on the wait list?

I’ve sent in an update letter since getting waitlisted but no LOI. Maybe they’re sending it to those who they haven’t received any communication from in general?

I’ve sent in an update letter since getting waitlisted but no LOI. Maybe they’re sending it to those who they haven’t received any communication from in general?
The thing with this is that I recently got wait listed (~April 25th) because I had a late interview.

It's been little over two weeks since I accepted my position on the wait list.

The thing with this is that I recently got wait listed (~April 25th) because I had a late interview.

It's been little over two weeks since I accepted my position on the wait list.

Maybe you just got lumped in with those folks since you heard back so late. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing as long as you let them know you wish to keep your position on the waitlist.

It seems like the changes in traffic rules and things may be affecting how they’re handling things. If you’ve sent letter of intent/update/whatever, your job is done. All there is to do is wait for them.

And of course, as the late scholar Tom Petty once said, “the waiting is the hardest part.”

Got off the waitlist at one of my top choices yesterday, so I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance here. Very happy to be opening a spot for one of the many deserving and anxiously waiting candidates on here! Keep your heads up, there’s hope :)

Reactions: 16 users
Also got off the waitlist at my top choice last week - officially withdrawn this morning! Best of luck to all still waiting!

Reactions: 7 users
Should we be concerned that people are getting pulled off the waitlist for next years class? Does that mean this years class is full?

From last year's thread it seems there was little to no waitlist movement with a few being offered acceptances for the following year and some of those people then also got off the waitlist for the current year.

MSAR says 50 people got accepted off the waitlist, I would say thats far more accurate than looking at SDN. Plus several ppl are withdrawing still so we still have a lot of time. In addition no school is sure about their current status this year considering waitlists havent really started moving.

Reactions: 5 users
MSAR says 50 people got accepted off the waitlist, I would say thats far more accurate than looking at SDN. Plus several ppl are withdrawing still so we still have a lot of time. In addition no school is sure about their current status this year considering waitlists havent really started moving.

50 off MSAR .. last or current cycle?

I spoke to NYMC today regarding waitlist movement and the early assurance program. They are not expecting any waitlist movement for the rest of the cycle, this does not mean it won't happen, but they made it pretty clear on the phone that there should be zero expectation for any movement. It seems like the early assurance program was first used last year (hence not being on MSAR) and they offered it to 11 students, it was not clear if that number will remain the same this cycle.
Damn, crazy that they said not to expect any waitlist movement because there is 2 more months still until the CTE date essentially at this school and many others

I'm sure there will be a few spots, but even last years SDN movement was painfully small. I think there was at least one person who was placed in early assurance but then got off the waitlist in the summer. NYMC must have just gotten better at predicting yield.
Thanks for the info!

I just talked to them as well about the waitlist and they offered me no info about when movement occurs, only that we could come off the waitlist through July. Super friendly, but gave no information.

I spoke to NYMC today regarding waitlist movement and the early assurance program. They are not expecting any waitlist movement for the rest of the cycle, this does not mean it won't happen, but they made it pretty clear on the phone that there should be zero expectation for any movement. It seems like the early assurance program was first used last year (hence not being on MSAR) and they offered it to 11 students, it was not clear if that number will remain the same this cycle.
Do you remember who you talked to?

Wow, that’s surprising considering it seems like a lot of people have been giving up their acceptances, more than I’ve seen people giving them up at other schools. And I know quite a few people who have said they will give up their acceptances if accepted anywhere else. Thanks for sharing this information!

I just called right now to confirm they got my response to reaffirm my waitlist position and I asked if there will be any movement in the coming months and they told me that there is movement currently.

Just wanted to let you guys know! Don't lose hope.

Reactions: 3 users
general consensus about the process this year: It's a mess

Reactions: 6 users
Very interesting — clearly different from past years.
I think that waitlist movement will just be later as the smoke settles. Eventually people with multiple accepts are going to look for housing and what not. So eventually it’ll clear up. I just wonder if the numbers MSAR posted will hold true.

I spoke with them as well they basically said the waitlist has started and will continue until July

Reactions: 4 users
I think that waitlist movement will just be later as the smoke settles. Eventually people with multiple accepts are going to look for housing and what not. So eventually it’ll clear up. I just wonder if the numbers MSAR posted will hold true.

Wouldn’t it be quite the opposite? As students are supposed to be currently holding only one acceptance (while on waitlists). They’ll lock in housing for their acceptance, thereby preventing a spot to open up.

Essentially it would be a lock on the waitlist movement, as people commit to their single acceptance.

Just some thoughts