2018-2019 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there an accepted students page or fb group somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there an accepted students page or fb group somewhere?
There is a group on Facebook "RowanSOM Accepted Class of 2023".

Does anyone know if they continue to make decisions every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month? Does that apply to recently interviewed individuals or to those wait-listed aswell?

Reactions: 1 users
Will be withdrawing acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you one the WL, I definitely know that feel.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an interview invite here last week or so for 3/27. Withdrew my interview invite today. Hope it goes to one of you guys.

Accepted of the hight priority waitlist!!!!! I missed the call but received an email! Excited to be part of the incoming class!!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted of the hight priority waitlist!!!!! I missed the call but received an email! Excited to be part of the incoming class!!

Congrats! Out of curiosity, how long do they give you to decide once they offer you an acceptance?

Awesome! So happy for you. I got HP waitlisted about a week after you so hoping for some good news in the near future. Congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I am scheduled for an interview at 3/27. One thing that is hesitating me from going is the high OOS tuition. Not only is tuition for OOS $64,393, but there is a high education fee of $8,103. The two itself totals $72,496, not including books/supplies, and room and board. My question is what do the educational fees consist of? And as someone from the tristate, is it easy to apply for IS tuition after 1yr of schooling? Thanks in advance.

Accepted off the high priority waitlist yesterday! Received the call around 10:30 AM
I’m beyond excited to join the class of 2023!!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the high priority waitlist yesterday! Received the call around 10:30 AM
Congrats!

Congrats so happy to hear you got in!! I was placed on the high priority waiting list 1/23, hoping to hear back soon

Congratulations on everyone’s acceptances!

I haven’t heard anything at all and contacted them this week and was told my application is still under review. After reading posts here, sounds like interviews end next week.

I have a feeling I won’t even get an interview at this point.

Anyone else in this situation?

I have an acceptance to St. George’s in the Caribbean that I need to pay a non-refundable deposit by next week.

If anyone is in this situation and has contacted Rowan, would be interested to hear what you have been told.

Hi @Camila1990, I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting to hear back. I along with many others are in a similar position as you - we've worked very hard and put out best foot forward without getting any love from some programs. That being said, I would highly advise against attending SGU or any other island schools at this point of time. I'm sure others can/will back me up on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi @JDsfloatingheadDr , I am sorry you haven’t heard anything either. Thank you for your reply. Why do you think going to SGU is a bad idea? I am still weighing my options and would love to hear your opinion. When you say “at this time”, is something up with that school currently?

I met with an OBGYN from SGU class of 2013 that just started her own practice near me. I also met with a pulmonologist from that school. They both enjoyed their experience there and did mention you have to work extra hard if you go there to obtain a good residency spot which I am OK with it.

Please do share your opinion on that school.

Hi @JDsfloatingheadDr , I am sorry you haven’t heard anything either. Thank you for your reply. Why do you think going to SGU is a bad idea? I am still weighing my options and would love to hear your opinion. When you say “at this time”, is something up with that school currently?

I met with an OBGYN from SGU class of 2013 that just started her own practice near me. I also met with a pulmonologist from that school. They both enjoyed their experience there and did mention you have to work extra hard if you go there to obtain a good residency spot which I am OK with it.

Read this entire thread with an open mind:
Are Caribbean schools really THAT horrible?

Also, read the Million $ Mistake link posted in the 4th response of the linked thread. Definitely worth improving your application and reapplying to RowanSOM and 15-20 other US-DO and US-MD schools instead of going to any Caribbean MD school.

Hi @Camila1990, I'm by no means an expert but I'm an older student and have been on the pre-med path for close to a decade. I've done my due diligence and have come to the conclusion that the island schools are a very expensive gamble that can cost you your financial and professional future. It seems like these schools don't care about their students and are merely looking to make a quick buck. These schools lack the support systems, student resources, etc of American schools. It's my understanding is that a high number of students fail out during their pre-clinical years because of a lack of direction/support from the school.Clinical years are farmed out across the country to programs that see you as nothing more than a check going to their bank account. If you make it to residency - you'll unfortunately face an uphill battle matching.

I know of quite a few SGU physicians in my area - I know of a few surgeons, internists, a pediatrician. A family friend of mind graduated from SGU last year and matched pysch. You can go to these programs, graduate, and make it to residency, the issue is that for every SGU surgeon there are probably 100 or even more that didn't - and that's super messed up. I can't imagine putting everything I have both financially and emotionally into a program only to be kicked out, told I'm not good enough, etc.

When I said "at this time" I mean for now and for the foreseeable future. The current climate is not conducive for island students to be successful. I think there was a time and place when this wasn't the case - many older physicians have told me to go to the islands and that they had a bunch of friends go there and do well. While this may have been true in the past, it's not the case today.

This is another good read:

The author of this post knows his stuff and is well versed.

I know I'm a random guy on the internet, but you ever want to chat more about this I'm more than happy to! We can even set a time to talk on the phone or skype. There are other options including DIY post baccs, hundreds of SMP/formal post-baccs, applying more broadly, etc that will put you in a much better situation. Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 2 users

Hi! Are you guys getting info for accepted student's day? So happy to be reading all these acceptances!

Hi! Are you guys getting info for accepted student's day? So happy to be reading all these acceptances!
I got an e-mail last month with the schedule below!

Friday, March 29th, 2pm-5pm: Accepted Student's Day Social (Students Only)

• Meet with student club representatives to see how you can be involved
  • Meet with apartment representatives- some apartments will be having specials for this day only!
  • Meet with our faculty
  • Reconnect with your interviewer!
  • Meet your fellow classmates and enjoy some ice cream
Saturday, March 30th, 8:30am-4:30pm- Accepted Student's Day (Max. 2 guests)

• Hear from our faculty/alumni/current students
  • See how OMM is done
  • Learn more about the differences between our traditional & PBL curriculum
  • Learn more about financial aid
  • Learn how you will become a culturally competent leader from our Office of Diversity
  • Hear about all of the support services here at Rowan SOM
  • Tour our campus

I'm sorry you haven't gotten accepted yet in the US, and I just wanted to let you know that I am in your same exact situation.. However, I also have to backup the people's posts up there.. After doing some research on the subject, and seeing my friend get kicked out from one of these Caribbean schools with an entire year worth of loans ~ close to $100,000 (they weed more and more people out for the first 2 years), I just think it is an unnecessary gamble... I am currently looking at cheaper options such as doing a 1 yr. special masters with linkages to their med. schools the following year... you can even take a few classes on your own if u feel like ur overall/science GPA is high enough, and instead focus on strengthening your app in other ways, and reapply!

I also called them 2 days ago, and they said that my app is still is under review.. I believe there might only be one more interview left on 3/27 or so but someone can correct me on that.. but I just sent one last letter to them yesterday.. I thought it can't possibly hurt me in anyway at this point.. Best of luck to you, and all those still waiting to hear like us!

I'm sorry you haven't gotten accepted yet in the US, and I just wanted to let you know that I am in your same exact situation.. However, I also have to backup the people's posts up there.. After doing some research on the subject, and seeing my friend get kicked out from one of these Caribbean schools with an entire year worth of loans ~ close to $100,000 (they weed more and more people out for the first 2 years), I just think it is an unnecessary gamble... I am currently looking at cheaper options such as doing a 1 yr. special masters with linkages to their med. schools the following year... you can even take a few classes on your own if u feel like ur overall/science GPA is high enough, and instead focus on strengthening your app in other ways, and reapply!

I also called them 2 days ago, and they said that my app is still is under review.. I believe there might only be one more interview left on 3/27 or so but someone can correct me on that.. but I just sent one last letter to them yesterday.. I thought it can't possibly hurt me in anyway at this point.. Best of luck to you, and all those still waiting to hear like us!
I really hope they will consider having more interviews in April. I sent them an update recently and been silence since :( top choice here

Neurotic question: I was accepted here but I happened to see on their admissions page that they require 2 semesters of math and that "all pre-requisite coursework must be completed at a regionally-accredited college or university recognized by the United States Department of Education." I took one semester of college math and have AP for the other semester. Anyone know if that's an issue?
I have AP credit for psychology which was also a requirement, I called them about it before I sent in my app and they said it was okay, I just had to send a letter from my undergrad school stating I received the credit for it from their school

Been about 7 weeks since I interviewed here with no response, anyone else in the same boat or have a similar experience?

Congrats!! just out of curiosity, did you send a letter of intent or update?

Congrats!! just out of curiosity, did you send a letter of intent or update?
I did send a letter of intent shortly after being placed on the waitlist.

Anyone know if theres a dresscode for accepted students days this weekend?

Does anyone know how the acceptance process works for HP waitlisters? Like does a board meet twice a month to decide who they want as spots become avaiable? Or is there just a priority list and they send out acceptances as they receive spots? Sorry if this is confusing

Does anyone know how the online pre-matric works?

Does anyone know how the online pre-matric works?
It’s a 3 week program this year. Everyday classes from 8-4/9-5 (not sure which one) . Are you required to do it ?

Has anyone been able to access the internal financial aid application? I have not been able to get the link to work

Can anyone maybe who recently interviewed or a current student confirm whether their interview cycle has ended at the end of March, or whether they still have any interviews left in April? Thank you!

I'm having the same issue!
Weird! I reported it to IT and they said it was working on their end so there's some weird bug that is blocking you from accessing it off campus. I haven't heard back yet so I guess they're having trouble resolving it.

Beyond excited!!! Called Rowan this morning and was told I was taken off the high priority waitlist!! Happy to be a part of the class of 2023 (High priority waitlisted 1/23)

Reactions: 7 users
Hi Everyone,

Do we have a date for the white coat ceremony? Thanks