2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They didn't mention the amount of apps received.
They use the primary and secondary to determine who gets an interview, after the interview I believe only the MMIs are used to determine who gets accepted. They didnt mention anything about when they usually send II.

I didnt get contacted about pre-reqs or anything! If anymore questions, I can try and answer them
Thank you so much for your reply! Relieved to hear that not getting contacted doesn't necessarily preclude you from receiving an interview. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to those who've interviewed, I hope you hear back with good news, and that those of us waiting for interview invites also get to hear some good news soon!

Did they happen to mention overall how many apps they received? I read online that they received over 600 apps the first day it opened, but I suppose the total number is higher since the window for submission was open until mid-December. Also, did they happen to mention how the reviewing process works, i.e. what day they usually send invitations for interviews? Or is it the same day as admissions decisions?

Also wanted to ask whether you were contacted by the school for any additional information (regarding prereqs, etc.) before you received an II, or whether it was silence between being marked complete and receiving an II. Thanks so much for all your help.

I also had similar questions. Also, not everyone who submitted a primary application would have completed a secondary application.

Reactions: 1 user
Forgot to ask earlier: were most of the interviewees from Texas, or were they mainly from out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know which complete date they're currently reviewing apps from? Have they reached the January apps yet or still on Dec?

I’m not sure but I think they might still be in December

Maybe the people who are interviewing on 1/28/19 just haven't posted here. I know interviews go until April but I'm concerned because there's only 60 spots and acceptances for the first group go out tomorrow right? P.S Sending good vibes to the 1/14/19 interview group!

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe the people who are interviewing on 1/28/19 just haven't posted here. I know interviews go until April but I'm concerned because there's only 60 spots and acceptances for the first group go out tomorrow right? P.S Sending good vibes to the 1/14/19 interview group!
Yup they go out tomorrow (including post-II rejections)! I believe the first wave of rejection (Pre-II) as well. They told us that they wouldn’t fill the class with only the first group

Reactions: 4 users
Yup they go out tomorrow (including post-II rejections)! I believe the first wave of rejection (Pre-II) as well. They told us that they wouldn’t fill the class with only the first group
Thanks for all the amazing input you’ve been providing so far! Although I’m still hopeful and trying to be optimistic, I’m also somewhat relieved that admissions will be sending out Pre-II rejections soon so that I can figure out what to do moving forward. Hoping for the best for everyone :)

II's as well? Or just A's and R's?
Im not sure about II, I just know they told us that decisions regarding the people that interviewed, whether it be A, R, WL, were going to be let out tomorrow. I am assuming that R for pre-interview will go out too.

Did they happen to mention overall how many apps they received? I read online that they received over 600 apps the first day it opened, but I suppose the total number is higher since the window for submission was open until mid-December. .
Hey, I'm curious where you read that number online? That they received over 600 apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of off topic, but I read in the article that residency positions and number of medical graduates will eventually cross and thus help eliminate the shortage. That being said, will there ever be too many medical school graduates than residency positions?

Good question, but isn't that already the case. Isn't the national average match rate around 90 some percent?

Edit: 94.3% in 2017 (Breaking down the numbers behind the Match process) So about a thousand positions are not filled?

Good question, but isn't that already the case. Isn't the national average match rate around 90 some percent?

Edit: 94.3% in 2017 (Breaking down the numbers behind the Match process) So about a thousand positions are not filled?

Ah, I appreciate your response DoctorSnow, thank you for that source! Then why try to send out more graduates if we are already over filling? I guess that's what im asking haha sorry if that wasn't clear!

Edit: I can move this topic and search around a different forum if we want to stay on topic too! Don't wanna deviate too much from the med school topics

Then why try to send out more graduates if we are already over filling? I guess that's what im asking haha sorry if that wasn't clear!

Edit: I can move this topic and search around a different forum if we want to stay on topic too! Don't wanna deviate too much from the med school topics

The cross between the two lines is the amount of MDs graduating in Texas will surpass the amount of residency positions in Texas. That's why Texas legislation is trying to increase amounts of residency spots available for their graduates to ensure they stay in the state because after all, why spend $$$ to educate future physicians that will not be impacting your community. The bottleneck seems to be a problem because med schools are increasing the amount of future doctors but residency positions are not increasing as fast.

Edit: I took a quote from that article, "This year, the U.S. had about 33,000 residency positions and almost 44,000 physicians registered for the match process."

Reactions: 2 users
Im not sure about II, I just know they told us that decisions regarding the people that interviewed, whether it be A, R, WL, were going to be let out tomorrow. I am assuming that R for pre-interview will go out too.

II's as well? Or just A's and R's?

For both of these:
When I received my II, the description stated that I needed to sign up for an interview date 10 days before the interview day. Therefore, the second round of II's have already been sent out. You can use this as a reference for future interview days, since you now know all of the interview days from the previous post.

I’m not sure but I think they might still be in December

Guys, they are attempting to get through ALL of the records. I believe that they are using the application completion date as a reference. Since they have said that they will be accepting 60 students every year, that means they will give ~5 acceptances every decision day. Don't freak out! It'll be okay :) .

Guys, they are attempting to get through ALL of the records. I believe that they are using the application completion date as a reference. Since they have said that they will be accepting 60 students every year, that means they will give ~5 acceptances every decision day. Don't freak out! It'll be okay :) .
Actually that’s wrong about the ~5 people per day. After the interview I was told that it’ll vary depending per interview date since they want to accept people that match their mission so it could be more or less than 5.

Also, don’t medical schools usually accept about 2-3 times their class size due to yield?

Reactions: 5 users
Actually that’s wrong about the ~5 people per day. After the interview I was told that it’ll vary depending per interview date since they want to accept people that match their mission so it could be more or less than 5.

*Facepalm* That's what the ~ means. Its a loose margin.

Also, don’t medical schools usually accept about 2-3 times their class size due to yield?

That's what the waitlist is for. At least 60 will be offered an acceptance, but not all of those 60 will stay. The "waitlist" is a tentative acceptance that can change to an acceptance.

*Facepalm* That's what the ~ means. Its a loose margin.

That's what the waitlist is for. At least 60 will be offered an acceptance, but not all of those 60 will stay. The "waitlist" is a tentative acceptance that can change to an acceptance.
Trueeeee, sorry about that!!

Just to clarify, the decisions they’re giving isn’t necessarily a waitlist in the regular sense that you wait until the class is filled and see what shifts, they said it was a post interview hold, which means you’re being considered at every meeting following until they make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Any Interview Invites this week?

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call, I'm accepted!! So thankful for this opportunity, good luck to all of you and I can't wait to see some of you on campus next year!

Reactions: 15 users
Just got the call, I'm accepted!! So thankful for this opportunity, good luck to all of you and I can't wait to see some of you on campus next year!

Congrats! Would you be willing to share stats and if you're from TX?

Got the call. Accepted. LM 72, OOS

Reactions: 9 users
I haven't heard anything yet (post II) :(

If anybody is wondering, I didn’t receive a Pre-II rejection or II today....so I guess that’s ok news? Lol

Post II, guess today’s not our day to find out unfortunately....

If anybody is wondering, I didn’t receive a Pre-II rejection or II today....so I guess that’s ok news? Lol
Same. Still really surprised that only one person posted about receiving an II for 1/28, and no one else has posted about II since then. If people are supposed to confirm their II date at least 10 days in advance, then wouldn't the next round of II for 2/4 have had to go out either yesterday or today? I guess people just aren't posting here.

Anyone heard what day they're up to for processing secondaries?

Post II rejection email at 10pm.
Disappointed, but there’s nothing I can do.
Goodbye gents and ladies.

They didn't mention the amount of apps received.
They use the primary and secondary to determine who gets an interview, after the interview I believe only the MMIs are used to determine who gets accepted. They didnt mention anything about when they usually send II.

I didnt get contacted about pre-reqs or anything! If anymore questions, I can try and answer them

LM of 70, but mcat was lower. I think that’s all they cared about.

So do stats matter after II...or not?

So do stats matter after II...or not?
I believe every the adcom does a holistic review of everything in your application post interview, but to be honest I don’t know for sure. What I can say is that of all schools, I think TCU looks at more than just your stats. It’s clear that they care about much more than that