2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@SOM Admissions Hi I had a question regarding financial aid. I know the charter class will have free tuition for the first year, however I was wondering if there’s going to be merit and/or need-based scholarships offered as well for subsequent years for the charter class, etc.?

Last edited:
Has anyone opted for accommodations? I haven’t asked medical schools to do anything for me, so I don’t know if I should ask TCU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my II since I've been accepted elsewhere. Hope it goes to one of you fine folks! Best of luck!

Reactions: 13 users
Withdrew my II since I've been accepted elsewhere. Hope it goes to one of you fine folks! Best of luck!
Congratulations on your acceptance! Thank you for letting us know.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody complete on or after 12/5 heard back yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Completed my secondary on 12/20 (waited till finals were over) and still waiting to hear back- I really hope it wasn't too late!

I think they are going through the apps they received in order and said you will know if you get II or R. Like they won't silent reject you. I'll let you ladies and gents know when I hear anything. (completed 12/4)

Completed my secondary on 12/20 (waited till finals were over) and still waiting to hear back- I really hope it wasn't too late!

I think you're fine. I waited a few days too due to finals and preparing for an interview at another school too. I submitted my secondary 12/13 and it looks like what few people have been posting on this thread have been receiving their invitations roughly a month after submitting their secondary (with people having submitted at the absolute earliest time possible getting that invitation a little less than a month later). Taking into account the holiday break as well, there's no reason to think you've been "passed up" by any means.

They're probably parsing through a ton of applicants now, and you have to remember, their team may only be composed of literally a handful of people (I work at a different medical school where there are literally 3 people who look over the first wave of applications). With likely 3000+ applicants, and taking them at their word that they give a truly holistic review, you're talking about possibly 0.5 hours per application? Even if a team of 5 people spends every hour of their 40 hour week reviewing applications, that's only 200 man-hours per week, so you can see how they could easily be backlogged. They probably have an internal goal of how many applications to review in a given week with such a limited team.

Obviously this is all conjecture, but I think with this school, way more than others, being patient is truly a virtue. They're doing this as a team for the first time, and that's exciting for everyone involved! They seem very open and communicative, so I bet they'll get back to us sooner than most schools!

Last edited:
I think you're fine. I waited a few days too due to finals and preparing for an interview at another school too. I submitted my secondary 12/13 and it looks like what few people have been posting on this thread have been receiving their invitations roughly a month after submitting their secondary (with people having submitted at the absolute earliest time possible getting that invitation a little less than a month later). Taking into account the holiday break as well, there's no reason to think you've been "passed up" by any means.

They're probably parsing through a ton of applicants now, and you have to remember, their team may only be composed of literally a handful of people (I work at a different medical school where there is literally 3 people who look over the first wave of applications). With likely 3000+ applicants, and taking them at their word that they give a truly holistic review, you're talking about possibly 0.5 hours per application? Even if a team of 5 people spends every hour of their 40 hour week reviewing applications, that's only 200 man-hours per week, so you can see how they could easily be backlogged. They probably have an internal goal of how many applications to review in a given week with such a limited team.

Obviously this is all conjecture, but I think with this school, way more than others, being patient is truly a virtue. They're doing this as a team for the first time, and that's exciting for everyone involved! They seem very open and communicative, so I bet they'll get back to us sooner than most schools!

Well said. I can't wrap my head around a school looking through 3000+ applications. Or over 10000 apps like some.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I think I'm going to chalk up this school as another rejection. I know it's early but it's just easier that way.

Well, I think I'm going to chalk up this school as another rejection. I know it's early but it's just easier that way.
I’m starting to feel that way too. Gave it my best shot, but gotta stay realistic.

Are they reviewed in chronological order? It seems like a big jump from people here being complete around late November to being complete mid December and receiving IIs within a short time span.

I wonder if OOS vs IS applicants are reviewed separately?

Are they reviewed in chronological order? It seems like a big jump from people here being complete around late November to being complete mid December and receiving IIs within a short time span.

The rep from the admissions team said they're review in chronological order. Not sure what that means for the people who were complete early December to mid December and haven't heard back yet

The rep from the admissions team said they're review in chronological order. Not sure what that means for the people who were complete early December to mid December and haven't heard back yet
They also said that applicants not initially offered an interview can be invited at a later time

I agree with you that there seems to be a lack of response (here on SDN) for people complete early December. They might be reviewing apps chronologically for the most part, but jump around whenever they see fit. I know some other schools that send out II do something similar, cause I’ve asked some people I’ve interviewed who had been complete +/- 3–4 weeks relative to my completion date.

I honestly doubt there is any differentiation during the review process between IS and OOS, since they stated that they don’t have any explicit preference in regards to that category.

Also keeping in mind that many people don’t post or view SDN, so for all we know there might be people complete during that early-mid December period with II right now. It’s tough staying optimistic and realistic at the same time :(

Yeah I'm just chalking this one up as another R now and will be pleasantly surprised if I get an II. Certainly less than ideal as I was feeling really good about this school.

Ya'll need to relax. They are sending IIs into April. I submitted mid december and the deadline to submit your secondary is in 5 days. It's not gonna take them three months to go through 4 weeks of secondaries. They will probably will go through your apps again.

Reactions: 6 users
Ya'll need to relax. They are sending IIs into April. I submitted mid december and the deadline to submit your secondary is in 5 days. It's not gonna take them three months to go through 4 weeks of secondaries. They will probably will go through your apps again.
You chill. :p

The date your application was received from AMCAS is not the literal order of interview invitations. Remember, after the AMCAS is received, a supplemental is sent/received and then the staff begins reviewing. There may be pre req questions that take additional days to get resolved before others can start their reviews. There are several involved in the cascading pre-interview invite process - it is not necessarily linear. It's all a rolling process to mean your entry and exit from the queue is not dependent on your filing date.

Until you've been informed of a release, you are not released. If you prefer not to be considered any longer, please notify our office (before or after an interview invitation - professional and classy).

We know applying to medical school is an anxious-provoking process and I can recall my time as an applicant, too. Sometimes (if not more), I created my own anxiety thought by trying to read into a process for which I had no internal ability to control. I learned to approach it like training for a marathon and took one-mile at a time, rather than focus only on the finish line. If you can't run a mile, you can't run a marathon. Right?

Reactions: 23 users
The date your application was received from AMCAS is not the literal order of interview invitations. Remember, after the AMCAS is received, a supplemental is sent/received and then the staff begins reviewing. There may be pre req questions that take additional days to get resolved before others can start their reviews. There are several involved in the cascading pre-interview invite process - it is not necessarily linear. It's all a rolling process to mean your entry and exit from the queue is not dependent on your filing date.

Until you've been informed of a release, you are not released. If you prefer not to be considered any longer, please notify our office (before or after an interview invitation - professional and classy).

We know applying to medical school is an anxious-provoking process and I can recall my time as an applicant, too. Sometimes (if not more), I created my own anxiety thought by trying to read into a process for which I had no internal ability to control. I learned to approach it like training for a marathon and took one-mile at a time, rather than focus only on the finish line. If you can't run a mile, you can't run a marathon. Right?
I don't know if we have an awards ceremony for SDN, but can we get this person a Dundie for their responsiveness, transparency, and kindness? SOM Admissions for 2020.

Reactions: 26 users
I don't know if we have an awards ceremony for SDN, but can we get this person a Dundie for their responsiveness, transparency, and kindness? SOM Admissions for 2020.
By far the most chill and reassuring admissions presence on SDN that I've encountered.

Reactions: 4 users

tumblr_n9t6n4YGHo1tgqrjho1_500.gif

Reactions: 8 users

This post just brought me so much internal peace. Knowing that I have done my best and letting go of what I cannot control is so freeing. Thank you SOM Admissions, I'm going to go enjoy my weekend and stop refreshing SDN and my email:). To everyone: we haven't been released so try your hardest to think good thoughts. If you need to talk to someone, DM me and we can uplift one another.

Last edited:
Complete August, still no II. I'd be really disappointed if I didn't get in here since I actually reapplied from last cycle, shadowed with a pretty accomplished physician that attended, and also obtained a LoR from him

Reactions: 1 users
Complete August, still no II. I'd be really disappointed if I didn't get in here since I actually reapplied from last cycle, shadowed with a pretty accomplished physician that attended, and also obtained a LoR from him
You cannot be complete in August, they didn’t get onto AMCAS until 11/12. This is also this schools first cycle so you couldn’t have applied last year.
You may be thinking of UNT/ TCOM.
Also you can’t have shadowed a physician who went hear as they haven’t begun their first class yet.

You cannot be complete in August, they didn’t get onto AMCAS until 11/12. This is also this schools first cycle so you couldn’t have applied last year.
You may be thinking of UNT/ TCOM.
Also you can’t have shadowed a physician who went hear as they haven’t begun their first class yet.
Right I got it, I just posted on the wrong thread lol

In this range with a 513 MCAT, on my knees praying as a Texas resident.
Same here (514) but a non-trad and zero clinical/research. I have only had one II (and acceptance!) This cycle. I must have a much weaker application than I first thought.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using SDN mobile

Same here (514) but a non-trad and zero clinical/research. I have only had one II (and acceptance!) This cycle. I must have a much weaker application than I first thought.

The zero clinical experience and research might be holding you back. With increased number of applicants, this process is getting more and more competitive each year. That's why I'm not surprised TCU is actually going through their applications holistically and not just choosing the top 1% of stats like some schools have been.

zero clinical and research is holding you back without a doubt. Students with much lower stats but strong ECs have a higher chance of getting IIs/acceptance than those with good stats but no experience. With that said, congrats on your acceptance! It only takes one.

This is such an amazing school, the interview day just blew my mind and the way that this school is approaching medical education is one of a kind. The staff is so receptive to questions and new ideas, and are willing to go out of their way to help you. I would definitely be lucky if I got a spot to attend this school. 11/10 recommended.

Reactions: 13 users
This is such an amazing school, the interview day just blew my mind and the way that this school is approaching medical education is one of a kind. The staff is so receptive to questions and new ideas, and are willing to go out of their way to help you. I would definitely be lucky if I got a spot to attend this school. 11/10 recommended.

That is good to hear!

Echo the above. The interview today was amazing, the opportunities at the institution seem to abound and you get the benefits of a new school but with the addition of having existing infrastructure and a partnership with many rotation sites. They seem to very much focus on team-based learning and working together as a class to approach their novel curriculum. I found the staff to all seem very excited which is to be expected with a newer school; they cleared up any questions we had regarding course design or rotation years and emphasized the added bonus that students will complete all required rotations earlier than counterparts at other schools due to early longitudinal clinical exposure and guidance by working closely with physician coaches. Also will add I was a bit apprehensive about the MMI process as this was my first interview at a school using this technique; yet, I was presently surprised at how I now think I actually prefer this to traditional conversational interviews. Good luck to everyone else who interviewed today and those who will visit the school in the coming weeks! January 25 cannot come fast enough!

Reactions: 5 users

That’s awesome! Hope your interview went well! Just curious, approximately how many people were in your interview group?

That’s awesome! Hope your interview went well! Just curious, approximately how many people were in your interview group?
We were 24.

I would also like to add, be patient if you haven’t gotten an II. I know it’s easy for me to say but trust me, they are getting to them. They will re-review you again if skipped. But it’ll be worth the wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
ok so i am freaking out a little...for the written reply, the instructions said not to finish it with others's input but were we allowed to use our own sources of input? I don't remember seeing those mentioned in the directions :unsure:
Really, it just means write your own essay. Who are YOU, how do YOU communicate your thoughts and ideas. Don't complicate it.

Last edited:
I wrote my own essay, but I used a lot of input and words from my other secondary essays. I already answered similar questions before, so the TCU one was not exactly from scratch. I also had my AMCAS and resume with me b/c it was easier to recall my activities that way. Do you think that was okay?
They just want to make sure you didn't get help from anyone else, or have someone else write on your behalf. As long as you used your own words, and your response addressed the prompt and accurately reflects you, then you're fine.

@SOM Admissions For those of us that are curious (which is likely everyone), are you able to disclose the total number of secondary applications received after the deadline closes today? If not, totally understandable.

Thanks!

@SOM Admissions For those of us that are curious (which is likely everyone), are you able to disclose the total number of secondary applications received after the deadline closes today? If not, totally understandable.

Thanks!

Watch it be 10,000 secondaries :laugh:

to those of us in the 1/14 interview group: we were such a great group! so glad I got to meet you guys! honestly the interview process is very integrative, so I had a chance to have a conversation with almost everyone in the group! I felt a little sad that at the end we had to part ways. we should have formed a groupme or something! (best of luck to my 1/14 group!!!)