2018-2019 Tufts University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters)
2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters)
3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s). (1000 characters)
4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) (1000 characters)

Interview Feedback: Tufts University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received. @gyngyn

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters)
2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters)
3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s). (1000 characters)
4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) (1000 characters)

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received. @gyngyn

Is there any consensus on the first question? Should we only include info not mentioned elsewhere even tho its not stated?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any consensus on the first question? Should we only include info not mentioned elsewhere even tho its not stated?
Personally, I'm mostly avoiding writing optional essays. Except in very rare cases, I feel like I don't have anything super important to add, and I don't want to just jam a "why this school" essay in, because I feel like if they wanted one, they would have asked for it. So basically, I have no answer for your question lol. Sorry!

Personally, I'm mostly avoiding writing optional essays. Except in very rare cases, I feel like I don't have anything super important to add, and I don't want to just jam a "why this school" essay in, because I feel like if they wanted one, they would have asked for it. So basically, I have no answer for your question lol. Sorry!
The only thing I was thinking of putting is to describe my steep GPA upward trend. I hit on it in like 1-2 sentences in my PS abut dont know if I should bother hitting on it again since I technically mentioned it already.

The only thing I was thinking of putting is to describe my steep GPA upward trend. I hit on it in like 1-2 sentences in my PS abut dont know if I should bother hitting on it again since I technically mentioned it already.

If you think it needs more elaboration, or if you think it would benefit you (i.e. an anecdote about why you struggled and how you improved) then I would write it! I've done that for a few other schools' "additional info" questions. For this one, I personally wrote a "why Tufts" essay mainly because I am from the Boston area and would love to stay there if possible.

If you think it needs more elaboration, or if you think it would benefit you (i.e. an anecdote about why you struggled and how you improved) then I would write it! I've done that for a few other schools' "additional info" questions. For this one, I personally wrote a "why Tufts" essay mainly because I am from the Boston area and would love to stay there if possible.
My PS says something along the lines of coming out to my rural conservative family helped me excel academically and socially as I no longer had the weight on my shoulders when I saw they still accepted me despite going against what they were "taught" (religiously speaking). But a lot of my app hits on my background so I dont want to beat a dead horse since my diversity statement talks about my background too,

My PS says something along the lines of coming out to my rural conservative family helped me excel academically and socially as I no longer had the weight on my shoulders when I saw they still accepted me despite going against what they were "taught" (religiously speaking). But a lot of my app hits on my background so I dont want to beat a dead horse since my diversity statement talks about my background too,

Yeah, I mean if it's in your primary and elaborated enough then you may not need to add it, unless you can find something else to include. The essay is only 1000 chars. too so I don't think it would hurt you if you didn't answer it.

Ultimately, it's really up to you since I don't know much about ya and I can only offer minimal advice :)

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for some advice. I recently received a promotion at my workplace, and my job duties will now include some leadership. This was after I submitted to AMCAS so it is not reflected on my app. I don't know if I should include a paragraph about this in the "Additional Comments" Secondary question or as an additional document under that tab. Any suggestions?

Secondary received... before AMCAS was processed? I didn't know this was possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received.

For the Tufts Prerequisite section, do they want us to talk about the competencies or solely list the class?
Kind of weird how it's 1,000 characters long just to list a couple of classes.

Secondary received... before AMCAS was processed? I didn't know this was possible.

Same. One of my friends received her Columbia secondary yesterday before receiving verification too. It seems that certain schools will send secondaries without AMCAS processing.

Secondary submitted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received my secondary and am not verified yet! @JugglesMed I just listed the courses that fulfilled each requirement but am curious to see how other people fill this section out

Secondary received!

For those who were as confused as I was about how to word the answer to the English competency requirement, here's what their website says:

"English: Competency in spoken and written English. Literature coursework is not required. Completing a bachelor’s degree in an English speaking college or university demonstrates this competency"

Secondary received.

For the Tufts Prerequisite section, do they want us to talk about the competencies or solely list the class?
Kind of weird how it's 1,000 characters long just to list a couple of classes.

Yeah, I was wondering about this as well, especially for the competencies. For something like the laboratory section, should I talk about what methods we learned/used in the lab sections associated with certain courses, or simply state the names of the lab sections?

Submitted my app. I read the previous years threads and it seems like most people Just listed it.
Maybe it's a test to see if we can follow directions? Considering they can see all of this in our transcript

Submitted my app. I read the previous years threads and it seems like most people Just listed it.
Maybe it's a test to see if we can follow directions? Considering they can see all of this in our transcript
i just submitted too and basically said the classes I took that demonstrate the competencies. Or work experience in lab and stuff. Though I did list American Sign Language under English competency so who knows how they ill view that.

For question 1, should I mention how I retook the MCAT and got a much better score?

For question 1, should I mention how I retook the MCAT and got a much better score?
Im taking this question as an update question, things that I am doing now that I did not get to include on the primary. I think you can mention retaking the MCAT but i wouldnt dwell on it.

Looking for advice. For the first question would it be better to add a 'why tufts' essay or a 'what I'm doing since graduation' essay. I'm conflicted and it's a 1000 characters which sucks

Looking for advice. For the first question would it be better to add a 'why tufts' essay or a 'what I'm doing since graduation' essay. I'm conflicted and it's a 1000 characters which sucks
I just left mine blank because I already put future hours in AMCAS and am just continuing what I did before. I would vote for "why tufts" if you have pretty significant reasoning to go there or just leave it blank. Leaving blank=less for screener to read=more time for them to focus on your primary (at least thats my logic)

I just left mine blank because I already put future hours in AMCAS and am just continuing what I did before. I would vote for "why tufts" if you have pretty significant reasoning to go there or just leave it blank. Leaving blank=less for screener to read=more time for them to focus on your primary (at least thats my logic)

I agree. More could hurt your app slightly if it's just fluff. If you have legit reasons and information to include then it can help you but we have to remember that these readers are human just like us. They don't want to read boring essays that's irrelevant to your application.
For mt optional essay, I just include do like 3 sentences about my new job since it wasnt on my primary

First secondary received - I'm not verified yet, so this was a surprise.

Do you think that it would be worth it in the diversity section to mention financial difficulties while growing up? I did not claim disadvantaged status but I was on Medicaid etc. I was just going to do a short anecdote and say that I will be a better doctor for it.

Do you think that it would be worth it in the diversity section to mention financial difficulties while growing up? I did not claim disadvantaged status but I was on Medicaid etc. I was just going to do a short anecdote and say that I will be a better doctor for it.
Yes that’s what I did

Are you just listing or writing complete sentences with lists in them?

TUSM MS3 here. I'm kind of bad about checking this account but feel free to AMA about the application, preclinical years, MS3, living in Boston, etc. Good luck!

If you have a personal connection to Tufts or Boston, I'd put a why Tufts essay. If you want to explain something significant about your app or self, you can write an essay. I wouldn't use it for fluff or filler though unless its really meaningful. If you have doubt about writing an essay, I wouldn't.

If you have a personal connection to Tufts or Boston, I'd put a why Tufts essay. If you want to explain something significant about your app or self, you can write an essay. I wouldn't use it for fluff or filler though unless its really meaningful. If you have doubt about writing an essay, I wouldn't.
I submitted it yesterday but thanks though! I went with a why tufts so we’ll see if it hurts or helps me

For the question about withdrawals/repeated coursework (and all other secondaries that ask this), would you guys suggest discussing a W on your transcript if it's from a dual enrollment class in high school?

How did you guys answer the diversity question, especially with it being only 1000 characters?

How did you guys answer the diversity question, especially with it being only 1000 characters?
By adding no details and writing like Hulk:

"Life hard at time, then I change, and now life still hard but I ok. Now I diverse"

Reactions: 18 users
Regarding question #1 -- I spent my third year of undergrad at a different institution closer to home due to a family situation requiring me to be close by at the time. I returned to my original university for senior year, and graduated there. Is this worth mentioning/explaining? I assume they would ask me about it at some point anyways as it seems to be a random transition. Thanks.

Anyone think it's worth applying here with a 3.9+ but 506? I really like this school but not sure I have a chance! The secondaries aren't bad so maybe I could just give it a go?

Anyone get a notification saying that you're not amcas verified even though you're amcas verified?

I suggest calling Tufts, I spoke to Emily (?) and she got it sorted out for me and now my app says I'm ready!

did not receive the email but mine was marked unverified and then mark verified

What MCAT scores are they looking for here? Any accepted students or students who applied last cycle willing to share the range?

What MCAT scores are they looking for here? Any accepted students or students who applied last cycle willing to share the range?

I'm just an applicant but according to this year's MSAR the median is 514, with 10th and 90th percentiles of 506 and 520 respectively :) The 25th to 75th is 510-517

Reactions: 1 users