2018-2019 Tulane University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has Tulane come out with their waitlist yet?

Those posting “Acceptance Range” are the applicants on their waitlist. Movement usually happens after interview season is about over or so I’ve been told.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Can you share your stats?
I have a 4.0, MCAT 514 and thought I would at least get an interview but haven't heard back at all yet. Thanks!

Your stats are awesome, but remember Tulane is a very mission based school so your EC’s almost have to outshine your metrics. Also it’s low yield (11K-12K applications) in which they give out about 600 interviews so it’s a little luck mixed with a great app

Reactions: 4 users
when should December interviewees expect to hear back?
Im going to bump this questions because I would really like to know.

When are December interviewees likely to hear back? Especially considering winter break just ended.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are awesome, but remember Tulane is a very mission based school so your EC’s almost have to outshine your metrics. Also it’s low yield (11K-12K applications) in which they give out about 600 interviews so it’s a little luck mixed with a great app
To add onto what @JaxJax17 said, they like applicants that apply very early and have a lot of clinical experiences. Since Tulane is huge on their student-run clinics, I would think they expect applicants to have a good amount of clinical experiences, that can be through working in a hospital or helping nurses run medically underserved clinics.

I got my "hold for possible interview" email way back in mid September and am still waiting to hear back! I hope this doesn't mean bad news!
Same here!
On hold for a possible interview since September with no news since.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here!
On hold for a possible interview since September with no news since.

Sounding like several of us are in "possible interview" limbo. Good luck and hoping to get that II soon.

Reactions: 5 users
I have seen several people posting about holds - in case it helps: I was on hold on August, and received an II around Thanksgiving for an interview happening soon; I don't know if it made a difference but I sent a few updates through the portal. Try it out!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am strongly considering Tulane as an option and have a few questions for current students:

1) I'm strongly interested in Emergency Medicine and I know New Orleans will provide an excellent opportunity to treat a diverse patient population and gain exposure to a broad spectrum of cases. However, I am a bit concerned about the lack of a home EM residency program. How much of a disadvantage will this be if any at all?

2) I was turned off by how run-down and outdated the facilities seemed on the interview day, notably the anatomy lab, library, and common spaces. Is this a non-issue or a legitimate cause for concern?

3) Again, on the interview day, I got the impression that there wasn't much happening in the realm of research. How easy is it to find research opportunities here?

4) How accessible is the undergrad campus (e.g. gym, dining halls, libraries)?

Thanks in advance!

I am strongly considering Tulane as an option and have a few questions for current students:

1) I'm strongly interested in Emergency Medicine and I know New Orleans will provide an excellent opportunity to treat a diverse patient population and gain exposure to a broad spectrum of cases. However, I am a bit concerned about the lack of a home EM residency program. How much of a disadvantage will this be if any at all?

2) I was turned off by how run-down and outdated the facilities seemed on the interview day, notably the anatomy lab, library, and common spaces. Is this a non-issue or a legitimate cause for concern?

3) Again, on the interview day, I got the impression that there wasn't much happening in the realm of research. How easy is it to find research opportunities here?

Thanks in advance!
Not a current student, but...

1) Your best chance of matching will always be at your home institution or your home state. That being said, the disastrous situation caused by Hurricane Katrina will forever associate New Orleans with "emergency" in my mind. I don't think you will be at a disadvantage if you pursue EM research, do away rotations, and network at EM research conferences.

Furthermore, there's a Tulane Emergency Medicine Interest Group | Tulane University School of Medicine that will help with your networking and learning about EM opportunities at Tulane. And finally, if you take a look at the https://medicine.tulane.edu/sites/m...ictures/Match 2018 Web Results 2018 03-15.pdf you will see that 13 students matched EM. It seems like LSU SOM has an EM residency program, so if you want to stay in New Orleans for your EM residency, you could do an away rotation there and just network there in general. So it's definitely possible!

2) I personally find it a non-issue. The cleanliness of an anatomy lab will not affect how well you learn the material. Furthermore, you can always study in a coffee shop or at your apartment if you don't like how the facilities look.

3) DeBakey Scholars Program | medicine or you can reach out to professors and ask about research opportunities.

4) Cannot answer this, but I remember being told that you can access the Undergradaute Gym with your medical student ID card. Keep in mind that the Undergraduate campus is in Uptown while the medical school is in the downtown area, very close to the French Quarter.

Hope this helps!

Thanks in advance!
My SO matched into EM (his med school didn’t have EM residency) and it was a pain in the ass because he had to do two away rotations to get the LOR’s in time for interview season. It also kind of messed with his schedule for his mandatory 4th year rotations for his med school. If he want back in time he prob would have went to an institution with a EM residency. Tulane may have a better set up than his med school (they were hard to work with, disorganized, and a headache in general) so take this with a grain of salt.

I'm a bit nervous about the patient simulation / standardized patient. I realize everyone signs an NDA and we can't talk about what happens here, but I worry that I don't have the necessary doctoring knowledge/skills to be successful here. I am trying to prepare based on what I saw during shadowing and personal experiences with physicians but this is stressing me out a bit

Not a current student, but...

1) Your best chance of matching will always be at your home institution or your home state. That being said, the disastrous situation caused by Hurricane Katrina will forever associate New Orleans with "emergency" in my mind. I don't think you will be at a disadvantage if you pursue EM research, do away rotations, and network at EM research conferences.

Furthermore, there's a Tulane Emergency Medicine Interest Group | Tulane University School of Medicine that will help with your networking and learning about EM opportunities at Tulane. And finally, if you take a look at the https://medicine.tulane.edu/sites/medicine.tulane.edu/files/pictures/Match 2018 Web Results 2018 03-15.pdf you will see that 13 students matched EM. It seems like LSU SOM has an EM residency program, so if you want to stay in New Orleans for your EM residency, you could do an away rotation there and just network there in general. So it's definitely possible!

2) I personally find it a non-issue. The cleanliness of an anatomy lab will not affect how well you learn the material. Furthermore, you can always study in a coffee shop or at your apartment if you don't like how the facilities look.

3) DeBakey Scholars Program | medicine or you can reach out to professors and ask about research opportunities.

4) Cannot answer this, but I remember being told that you can access the Undergradaute Gym with your medical student ID card. Keep in mind that the Undergraduate campus is in Uptown while the medical school is in the downtown area, very close to the French Quarter.

Hope this helps!
I appreciate the response! You bring up some great points.

My SO matched into EM (his med school didn’t have EM residency) and it was a pain in the ass because he had to do two away rotations to get the LOR’s in time for interview season. It also kind of messed with his schedule for his mandatory 4th year rotations for his med school. If he want back in time he prob would have went to an institution with a EM residency. Tulane may have a better set up than his med school (they were hard to work with, disorganized, and a headache in general) so take this with a grain of salt.

Oh boy, this is what I'd be worried about in the future with the lack of a home EM program. This is very helpful.

I would appreciate if any current students could provide some feedback as well.

I'm a bit nervous about the patient simulation / standardized patient. I realize everyone signs an NDA and we can't talk about what happens here, but I worry that I don't have the necessary doctoring knowledge/skills to be successful here. I am trying to prepare based on what I saw during shadowing and personal experiences with physicians but this is stressing me out a bit

I was pretty nervous too but actually really enjoyed it. Straight from their website so I think it’s fair game, you will “play the role of a first year medical student interviewing a patient.” So, reflect on your own experiences as a patient being seen by a physician. How did the visit progress? What did they do that was comforting? What did they do that you did not like? What did they do to connect with you? Envision yourself in their shoes and emulate these qualities and you will do great. It’s understood that you haven’t yet gone to medical school so demonstrating medical knowledge is not the goal here. It truly isn’t anything to be stressed about.

I was pretty nervous too but actually really enjoyed it. Straight from their website so I think it’s fair game, you will “play the role of a first year medical student interviewing a patient.” So, reflect on your own experiences as a patient being seen by a physician. How did the visit progress? What did they do that was comforting? What did they do that you did not like? What did they do to connect with you? Envision yourself in their shoes and emulate these qualities and you will do great. It’s understood that you haven’t yet gone to medical school so demonstrating medical knowledge is not the goal here. It truly isn’t anything to be stressed about.

Ok thank you so much for the encouragement and perspective!

@PentuPenguin Hey! I can further Mr McCringleberry's point and say take the scenario as you would any other human interaction, stay true to your communication style and skills and remember you have two ears and one mouth, use them proportionately!

Reactions: 2 users
@PentuPenguin Hey! I can further Mr McCringleberry's point and say take the scenario as you would any other human interaction, stay true to your communication style and skills and remember you have two ears and one mouth, use them proportionately!

thank you! I feel much better about it ! you are all very kind

Does any current student know how tuition payment works at the school of medicine? Is it per semester or yearly?

Does any current student know how tuition payment works at the school of medicine? Is it per semester or yearly?

additionally- when the max federal loan doesn't cover tuition, are those who are not independently wealthy getting plus loans to cover the difference? or am i mossing something...? thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

additionally- when the max federal loan doesn't cover tuition, are those who are not independently wealthy getting plus loans to cover the difference? or am i mossing something...? thanks!

Ya most people end up getting grad plus loans from what I keep hearing. That or they try their hand at private loans

I’m interviewing here on Friday. Does anyone have any advice regarding the student interview? I’ve only ever been interviewed by faculty, so I’m actually kind of nervous to be interviewed by someone my age

I’m interviewing here on Friday. Does anyone have any advice regarding the student interview? I’ve only ever been interviewed by faculty, so I’m actually kind of nervous to be interviewed by someone my age

Just relax and have a friendly conversation with them. Ask them questions about Tulane or NOLA, to show interest. Remember they are also people!

Just relax and have a friendly conversation with them. Ask them questions about Tulane or NOLA, to show interest. Remember they are also people!

We talked about our undergrad experience and what we hoped to gain at Tulane. Learned so much about the school from them.

Biggest surprise for me during my interview was how involved the students are in interview day. It really shows how passionate the students are about the school. You’ll learn so much from them and they are chill - no reason to be nervous!

Reactions: 3 users

It was an absolute blast, we "interviewed" for a portion and the majority of the time seemed like the best conversation I've ever had with a stranger and we've kept in touch. Overall I'd say in terms of enjoyment I would rate the 3 part interview as a 15/10, its a great environment. But the best part, the 20/10, I would say was from chatting with the other people interviewing. Tulane did a great job sourcing candidates and I met some people that I hope were accepted and will be seeing at the ping pong table. Having a chance to meet my future peers, in culmination with the fantastic interview experience had me dead set on Tulane if I had the honour of being accepted! Hope you enjoy your day!!

Last edited:
Has anyone that’s been accepted received any information regarding immunizations that’s required for matriculation?

Since there hasn't been much acceptance activity as of late (congrats to you EasyEveryone), I wanted to gauge how many people who interviewed are waiting to hear back post interview. Like this post if you interviewed in December and are waiting to hear back.

I interviewed December 14th and haven't yet.

Reactions: 3 users
How long after they send you the "you are not under review" email do people hear back about their decision?

How long after they send you the "you are not under review" email do people hear back about their decision?

This was asked in the thread before and some people said 3-4 weeks on average. I also saw another decision come after 2 months of the under review email.

Any movement from the "acceptance range" people yet? A Friday in mid-late January seems like the perfect time to start pulling people from that list :)

probably been asked before but do you know when the accepted facebook group will be started?