2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How likely is it to hear back from the 11/14 interviews this coming week? I know it hasn’t been long but waiting stinks
According to last year’s thread, a couple of people received acceptances from that interview date on the first week of December, but who knows?

Members don't see this ad.

While my previous post may have sounded optimistic, I want to keep everyone informed of what is transpiring here at UNE. And more importantly, tell you to stay away, far, far, away. In fact, avoid like the plague. The most genuine piece of advice I would give to any student considering medicine, especially at UNE: pause, take a year off, work on getting a better MCAT score, but avoid coming to this place at all costs. One year of bolstering your application is nothing compared to four of dealing with the administration (if we can even call it that) here at UNE.

As mentioned previously, the Deans are completely incapable of leadership. After a recent attendance shakedown, we have now been threatened with having boards reviews cancelled, the student government curriculum committee is being dismantled, and all of our professor feedback surveys have been unanonymized. Faculty are continuing to leave for other positions. A solid chunk of the second year class is being referred to an ethics committee for violating the attendance policy and these students are no longer allowed to participate in the third-year hospital assignment lottery process. Lectures remain uneventful as ever: terrible delivery, students occupy their time doing boards questions with headphones in.

I hope at the very least I have encouraged you to look elsewhere for your medical education. The current regime at UNE does a disservice to its graduates and its name. Students are more excited than ever to finish their second year and never look back. Too bad we're already $100,000 in the hole to this sh*thole. On the bright side, for those of you with upcoming interviews, at least it is good practice!

Reactions: 2 users
While my previous post may have sounded optimistic, I want to keep everyone informed of what is transpiring here at UNE. And more importantly, tell you to stay away, far, far, away. In fact, avoid like the plague. The most genuine piece of advice I would give to any student considering medicine, especially at UNE: pause, take a year off, work on getting a better MCAT score, but avoid coming to this place at all costs. One year of bolstering your application is nothing compared to four of dealing with the administration (if we can even call it that) here at UNE.

As mentioned previously, the Deans are completely incapable of leadership. After a recent attendance shakedown, we have now been threatened with having boards reviews cancelled, the student government curriculum committee is being dismantled, and all of our professor feedback surveys have been unanonymized. Faculty are continuing to leave for other positions. A solid chunk of the second year class is being referred to an ethics committee for violating the attendance policy and these students are no longer allowed to participate in the third-year hospital assignment lottery process. Lectures remain uneventful as ever: terrible delivery, students occupy their time doing boards questions with headphones in.

I hope at the very least I have encouraged you to look elsewhere for your medical education. The current regime at UNE does a disservice to its graduates and its name. Students are more excited than ever to finish their second year and never look back. Too bad we're already $100,000 in the hole to this sh*thole. On the bright side, for those of you with upcoming interviews, at least it is good practice!

yikes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes, indeed. Sounds like another school I was actively avoiding...

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!!!!

My first acceptance. I'm going to be a doctor. I have no words right now.

Reactions: 7 users

What do you think lead to all these changes? The administration has been the same since the new Dean was appointed in 2016, right? Having 75 students being referred to an ethics committee, isn't a red flag for the administration, the board of trustees or the president of UNE? And not allowing these students to participate in the third-year hospital assignment lottery process? So these students are not given the opportunity to complete their clerckships? This sounds illegal to me, nobody from the school administration thinks something is off?

I was actually planning on putting my deposit in at UNECOM tonight but this post got me really nervous. Could any more students give their perspective?

Reactions: 6 users
What do you think lead to all these changes? The administration has been the same since the new Dean was appointed in 2016, right? Having 75 students being referred to an ethics committee, isn't a red flag for the administration, the board of trustees or the president of UNE? And not allowing these students to participate in the third-year hospital assignment lottery process? So these students are not given the opportunity to complete their clerckships? This sounds illegal to me, nobody from the school administration thinks something is off?
I was actually planning on putting my deposit in at UNECOM tonight but this post got me really nervous. Could any more students give their perspective?

So I do not really have many details because this whole thing is still evolving. However, personally I can say that the picture that has been painted is fairly inaccurate. We are still a very tight knit community. All I have seen is students supporting each other through all this. This is just my opinion so my thoughts on it may not be the same as everyone else.

One thing I wanted to comment on is the part regarding clerkships. The people involved are still able to complete clerkships, they are just not able to enter the process where 3rd year site locations are decided. They will be assigned a site, it just may not be in their preferred location.

Please PM me if you have any questions, but that is about all I can say about it at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips or advice for someone interviewing in the coming weeks

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that despite all that's going on right now, I feel that UNE does a great job of producing skilled physicians. I think that our training is actually quite excellent and that we are taught how to think and act like good doctors. Additionally, while we may be feeling somewhat upended by recent events, I earnestly believe that our administration and faculty care about us as humans and future healthcare providers. It sucks that they have created attendance policies we don't like, but I believe they are trying to do what they think is best. I'll be the first to admit that they could improve communication and collaboration with the student body on important policies. Honestly, I think these are just some of the annoying things that we might have to deal with at any institution. No matter where we go to school, whatever hospital we attend, or what country we live in, there will be rules we don't like. Bottom line is that we have to follow rules, and when we don't, there are consequences. That's not to say that we should put our heads down and blindly follow the rules; we should stand up for what we believe in and keep trying to compromise. We'll be most successful with open, honest, and respectful discourse.

While I'm just as upset as anyone about current school policy, moving forward my goal is to focus energy on what really matters despite the circumstances: doing well on exams/boards and learning everything I can from instructors, peers, & standardized patients to become the best physician I can be. UNECOM is not perfect in every way, but I can confidently say that we have the opportunity here at UNE to learn what we need to become great doctors.

P.S. Please feel free to message me anytime with questions, concerns, thoughts, etc. Best of luck to everyone!

I am sad to say that this account is 100% correct. If you have any option besides UNECOM, go there. Im not kidding. This year has been absolute hell and is now turning into a witch hunt where the administration is attempting to persecute almost 1/2 of the second year class (75 students) over spurious evidence regarding a poorly instituted and failed policy. It has turned this place into a toxic cesspool where students do not smile, professors are the enemy, and every admin assistant is a spy. The class is beginning to turn on each other and any sense of camaraderie or unity is gone. The school seems to be self-destructing. Seriously, if you have ANY OPTION AT ALL you should not attend UNECOM.
Here's another vote to STAY AWAY from UNECOM. As a current OMSII, this entire year has felt like a constant battle with the administration. The amount of time they spend cramming absolute garbage content down our throats is mind blowing. Mandatory piss-poor lecture 3-4 days per week along with a smorgasbord of other time-wasting mandatory activities leaves little-to-no time for boards studying, let alone extracurriculars or self-care. A group of representatives from our class attempted to voice our collective frustration and concern that we're being underprepared for boards, but were essentially told to "suck it up and deal". Now, students are being threatened and encouraged to snitch on each other. If you want to pay $60K per year to be ignored, belittled, and threatened, then UNECOM is the place for you. Otherwise, I highly suggest you look elsewhere.

So I do not really have many details because this whole thing is still evolving. However, personally I can say that the picture that has been painted is fairly inaccurate. We are still a very tight knit community. All I have seen is students supporting each other through all this. This is just my opinion so my thoughts on it may not be the same as everyone else.

One thing I wanted to comment on is the part regarding clerkships. The people involved are still able to complete clerkships, they are just not able to enter the process where 3rd year site locations are decided. They will be assigned a site, it just may not be in their preferred location.

This is not yet confirmed.

-M.H.x

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that despite all that's going on right now, I feel that UNE does a great job of producing skilled physicians. I think that our training is actually quite excellent and that we are taught how to think and act like good doctors. Additionally, while we may be feeling somewhat upended by recent events, I earnestly believe that our administration and faculty care about us as humans and future healthcare providers. It sucks that they have created attendance policies we don't like, but I believe they are trying to do what they think is best. I'll be the first to admit that they could improve communication and collaboration with the student body on important policies. Honestly, I think these are just some of the annoying things that we might have to deal with at any institution. No matter where we go to school, whatever hospital we attend, or what country we live in, there will be rules we don't like. Bottom line is that we have to follow rules, and when we don't, there are consequences. That's not to say that we should put our heads down and blindly follow the rules; we should stand up for what we believe in and keep trying to compromise. We'll be most successful with open, honest, and respectful discourse.

While I'm just as upset as anyone about current school policy, moving forward my goal is to focus energy on what really matters despite the circumstances: doing well on exams/boards and learning everything I can from instructors, peers, & standardized patients to become the best physician I can be. UNECOM is not perfect in every way, but I can confidently say that we have the opportunity here at UNE to learn what we need to become great doctors.

P.S. Please feel free to message me anytime with questions, concerns, thoughts, etc. Best of luck to everyone!

Is that you, **REDACTED BY MODS**

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Med students at UNECOM, please speak up. Whether positive of negative, please speak up.

It’s unfortunate to see this unravel unexpectedly, especially for the students who want to attend here this cycle and the current students going through this. I interviewed here two weeks ago and the community was extremely supportive and friendly. If this is unfolding in a different direction, it’s dissapointing because many people including myself are/were considering UNECOM for that very reason. That being said, I would like to comment on the attendance policy. Many students in osteopathic schools, UNECOM in particular, are diverse and have unique experiences, which includes a desire to attend medical school as a second career option or overcoming life obstacles to matriculate. As a member of the latter, my goal is to become a doctor, a great one. If a school deems attendance mandatory, then screw it, I’ll be early and ready for every lecture. We’ve been through so much to get to this point, why not suck it up and follow their rules, even though it may seem unreasonable at times. Having the opportunity to become a doctor is a privilege. I don’t know the entirety of the current dynamics between student and staff or what’s actually transpiring so of course my opinion is limited. It’s possible that some students commenting are part of the “75” sample or the other students trying to save the schools reputation. Not saying/assuming this is the case but it’s possible and it’s what we are thinking about from an objective point of view. The SDN community and I would appreciate if we get unbiased information and reviews about what is transpiring so we can make an informative decision about our futures. I hope this resolves quickly and UNECOM becomes a greater school because of this. Best of luck to current students!

Congratulations to everyone else who was accepted!

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to decline my acceptance and will be attending medical school in Israel. Best of luck to all the new students and I'm confident another qualified applicant will take my place.

Current student, I agree with every word of this. I don’t recommend this school.
Also the student body is trash. I feel like I’m back in high school with how childish and sensitive everyone is. GO ELSEWHERE.
PS administration has been telling students not to post their thoughts here on sdn, clearly that had the opposite effect haha. They monitor these forums a lot closer than you think. Be suspicious of accounts created in the last 48 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It’s unfortunate to see this unravel unexpectedly, especially for the students who want to attend here this cycle and the current students going through this. I interviewed here two weeks ago and the community was extremely supportive and friendly. If this is unfolding in a different direction, it’s dissapointing because many people including myself are/were considering UNECOM for that very reason. That being said, I would like to comment on the attendance policy. Many students in osteopathic schools, UNECOM in particular, are diverse and have unique experiences, which includes a desire to attend medical school as a second career option or overcoming life obstacles to matriculate. As a member of the latter, my goal is to become a doctor, a great one. If a school deems attendance mandatory, then screw it, I’ll be early and ready for every lecture. We’ve been through so much to get to this point, why not suck it up and follow their rules, even though it may seem unreasonable at times. Having the opportunity to become a doctor is a privilege. I don’t know the entirety of the current dynamics between student and staff or what’s actually transpiring so of course my opinion is limited. It’s possible that some students commenting are part of the “75” sample or the other students trying to save the schools reputation. Not saying/assuming this is the case but it’s possible and it’s what we are thinking about from an objective point of view. The SDN community and I would appreciate if we get unbiased information and reviews about what is transpiring so we can make an informative decision about our futures. I hope this resolves quickly and UNECOM becomes a greater school because of this. Best of luck to current students!

When you actually become a medical student you’ll realize how counterproductive they are, especially when 90% are terrible and don’t teach you what you need to know for your board exams. You realize quickly you’ll be better off self-studying but obvs you cant b/c you have to be in class.

The unfortunate reality is that the landscape of medicine is changing. DOs and MDs are now in one giant pool for residency slots. In order to be competitive and get a program of your choice (whether it be specialty, location, etc), the stakes surrounding our Boards scores are higher than ever.

As mentioned above, the mandatory attendance is a detriment to students who learn better through Boards resources. Think about this for a moment: the same resources are being used by medical students across the world. They are tried and true. They are superior to classroom lectures in almost every way. The school has limited our time to focus on these materials which are statistically proven to be the most effective way to do well on Boards.

Other schools do not do this. Many schools are shying away from mandatory attendance policies to accommodate for different learning styles. Our school refuses. The administration is not with the times; they think that their residency acquisition process that occurred in the 1980s is similar stakes to what we are experiencing today. They are wrong. They refuse to listen and compromise.

We have a new President of the University. I am hopeful he gets involved and comes to the aid of one of its struggling colleges, because I have little faith in the Deans to be proper leaders. It only takes one good leader to make a difference.

The unfortunate reality is that the landscape of medicine is changing. DOs and MDs are now in one giant pool for residency slots. In order to be competitive and get a program of your choice (whether it be specialty, location, etc), the stakes surrounding our Boards scores are higher than ever.

As mentioned above, the mandatory attendance is a detriment to students who learn better through Boards resources. Think about this for a moment: the same resources are being used by medical students across the world. They are tried and true. They are superior to classroom lectures in almost every way. The school has limited our time to focus on these materials which are statistically proven to be the most effective way to do well on Boards.

Other schools do not do this. Many schools are shying away from mandatory attendance policies to accommodate for different learning styles. Our school refuses. The administration is not with the times; they think that their residency acquisition process that occurred in the 1980s is similar stakes to what we are experiencing today. They are wrong. They refuse to listen and compromise.

We have a new President of the University. I am hopeful he gets involved and comes to the aid of one of its struggling colleges, because I have little faith in the Deans to be proper leaders. It only takes one good leader to make a difference.
Great point, I agree with everything you have said. Please keep us updated as this progresses. I’m hoping the new president makes changes.

Current student, I agree with every word of this. I don’t recommend this school.
Also the student body is trash. I feel like I’m back in high school with how childish and sensitive everyone is. GO ELSEWHERE.

I sense a first year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No because what started as a bit of useful information about the current going ons has just become a whiney vent sesh about the school and administration.

Sent from my VS425PP using SDN mobile
I understand that things might be dated, or that it would be optimal to make changes. But to just go on bashing the admin for three pages on an anonymous internet forum seems childish and immature.

Those of us who were accepted would appreciate if this thread does not get hijacked with personal attacks between current students and rather keep it as an informative and supportive platform for those of us considering UNE.

We have received some reports from this thread. While people are allowed to say things (both positive and negative) in regards to their experiences at the school, directly naming school officials (as they are not here to defend themselves) is not allowed, even as a response to somebody who is defending the school. Two posts have thus had information redacted and users warned. Please avoid further transgressions.

Administrators are lurking here. They're the ones who swoop in and take down any posts naming names. Pathetic.

Those of us who were accepted would appreciate if this thread does not get hijacked with personal attacks between current students and rather keep it as an informative and supportive platform for those of us considering UNE.
Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
I think you've made your point thus far, if anyone is further interested in listening to you vent your frustrations then I'm sure they can PM you.

And Ooh, get a punching bag.

I think you've made your point thus far, if anyone is further interested in listening to you vent your frustrations then I'm sure they can PM you.

And Ooh, get a punching bag.
I'll never understand those so unwilling to listen to criticism from people who know far more about what they're talking about than you.

I understand that things might be dated, or that it would be optimal to make changes. But to just go on bashing the admin for three pages on an anonymous internet forum seems childish and immature.

I agree with this. From what I have seen, the current classes are angry that an attendance policy has been instituted. They willfully violated it and are now facing disciplinary action. Is there more to this story other than disagreement between students and administration? I know people who have attended UNE COM and had nothing but great things to say about the school. Going online to rip the school seems like the least productive thing that you could be doing about this situation. If having to attend class is enough to make someone not want to be at medical school then I don't know how they got that far in the first place. To anyone being dissuaded from attending UNE COM because of this nightmare of a thread, just remember, there are two sides to every story.

I'll never understand those so unwilling to listen to criticism from people who know far more about what they're talking about than you.

With all due respect, you have no right to belittle prospective students saying they want this thread to not derail from its intended purpose. You don't know their story. You don't know what they have overcome to get this far, and you certainly don't know how they would handle the current school policy. For some people medical school isn't just a privilege, it's decades of hard work towards even getting a foot in. You think mandatory classes are bad? Wait till you have to deal with administrative politics at the hospitals and clinics you'll work at in the future. Why do I know that? Because I'm a MHA and it's my job to make their life a living hell.

I'm a non-trad still deciding which school I'll be attending and UNE is still in the top three, but I gotta say I'm left aghast at how the current students are handling this situation. I know the merger is scary and I know school policies can be counterproductive, but the fact that you guys are using this thread as an outlet to deter incoming students is quite genuinely immature and irrevocably unprofessional. This is not how adults should be acting.

Last edited:
So I am not going to address the previous posts because I still have no real details. I would ask that those posting on either side about all this please stop, at least until there are more tangible details. The only people that truly know what is going on are certainly not posting on this forum. Until the students have real information, it is all hearsay that does not add anything to the conversation.

This whole thing completely overshadowed several posters becoming excited about their acceptance. Think back to when you first got your acceptance, whether that was to UNE or elsewhere and how hard you worked to get to that point. Regardless of your thoughts on the matter, I would never wish for anyone to have that joy taken away from them.

I completely sympathize with people that are upset, but there is no way that venting on a public forum like this is helping anyone. Reach out to friends in the class. There are so many of us willing to listen. We all want the best for everyone.

I am too far removed to comment, but knowing what I know, I do not find these grievances surprising. Aside from the one about the student body- UNE typically had a really great group each year, I find it doubtful things have degenerated to the point the student body is questionable. More likely said student is not the most sociable and other people are not the problem.

UNE will prepare you to be a good physician. There might be some headaches along the way, but every school has their headaches. I used to think these were UNE specific issues, but having worked with medical students from a few MD schools at this point in my career, they have many of the same complaints. Medical school sucks, and you're going to be asked to do a bunch of annoying things along the way. But you know what? The same thing happens in residency, and in practice, and it really is just kind of the way things are in the real world, so in a way it does prepare you for the things that suck about being a doctor. I'm not saying it's the best way to go about things, but UNE probably isn't hell on earth

Reactions: 12 users

But you do see how this childlessness and immaturity reflects the student body at this school right? Multiple students came here to post their dissatisfaction. And some are frustrated. That cannot be a coincidence.

Shutting down negative reviews on a school is the height of intellectual dishonestly. Imagine Amazon deleted all its negative reviews...

Let me give my experience in my UNECOM interview. They said that students must pass a pre-board exam to be allowed to pass the board exam. And even among those who passed the preboards and got to take the boards, only 94% passed—I find this VERY concerning. https://www.une.edu/com/admissions/comlex-usa-and-residency-match-results Even worse this school doesn’t publish average scores where some DO schools choose to mention this.

This does not belittle those who want to come to this school. I still want to go here—and it would be an honor if I were accepted here. This just gives valid criticisms which is always useful.

Never withhold data. Full disclosure is important. I wish schools were forced just tell us all their stats and publish them—board scores, grades, failures, successes etc

Last edited:
While I agree with some of @Mad Jack to some extent, I disagree in the fact that you don't see these as UNE specific issues. I mentioned this in a previous post. Even schools with some of the most strict disciplinary and academic policies (see: LECOM) have pathways that cater to different learning styles. That is all we are asking the administration to recognize. Implementing a poorly organized policy after we have already committed to coming to a school under the pretense that attendance wasn't mandatory in second year is far more problematic, in my opinion.

I can't comment on the Deans at other schools, but it feels as if we are being silenced. I mentioned that we've exhausted all avenues of trying to voice concerns, but I feel that I need to be more specific. We have coordinated meetings with course directors and the deans, only to have them filter what items we can/cannot add to agendas. "Attendance" is an off-limits topic that they refuse to comment on. This is entirely ignorant: 120 students from our class show up to a meeting to express concerns only to find out that we'll be discussing furniture in the student lounge instead. So we arrange follow-up meetings, form committees, only to have these ideas completely dismissed as well. If you have suggestions for a better way to approach these issues, I am open ears.

In other news, this whole situation is very real and not being exaggerated. Lawyers are getting involved on both the University and student side of the spectrum. It is a shame that the University has let it come to this.

There's a point where going about things the "right way" just no longer works. This is why students are posting on these forums. The "right way" has not worked, and does not seem poised to change any time soon. People keep making comments about how we are "derailing" the purpose of this thread. In fact, as a prospective medical student weighing my options on which schools to attend, these are exactly the pieces of information I would want to know. Please stop giving folks a hard time for offering genuine feedback that is designed to be beneficial. I wish I had this information prior to applying here, I know it certainly would have impacted my decision on which school to attend.

Reactions: 9 users
While I agree with some of People keep making comments about how we are "derailing" the purpose of this thread. In fact, as a prospective medical student weighing my options on which schools to attend, these are exactly the pieces of information I would want to know. Please stop giving folks a hard time for offering genuine feedback that is designed to be beneficial. I wish I had this information prior to applying here, I know it certainly would have impacted my decision on which school to attend.

I couldn’t agree more.

If it comes down to this school or another school, this information is helpful. I don’t see the benefit of such discussion getting shut down. It doesn’t take anything away from accepted students—it’s still a huge achievement!! it gives them information on what they’re signing up for.

Information is information. I’ve been accepted to some DO schools and I’d love to hear both positives and negatives to help me decide.

While I agree with some of @Mad Jack to some extent, I disagree in the fact that you don't see these as UNE specific issues. I mentioned this in a previous post. Even schools with some of the most strict disciplinary and academic policies (see: LECOM) have pathways that cater to different learning styles. That is all we are asking the administration to recognize. Implementing a poorly organized policy after we have already committed to coming to a school under the pretense that attendance wasn't mandatory in second year is far more problematic, in my opinion.

I can't comment on the Deans at other schools, but it feels as if we are being silenced. I mentioned that we've exhausted all avenues of trying to voice concerns, but I feel that I need to be more specific. We have coordinated meetings with course directors and the deans, only to have them filter what items we can/cannot add to agendas. "Attendance" is an off-limits topic that they refuse to comment on. This is entirely ignorant: 120 students from our class show up to a meeting to express concerns only to find out that we'll be discussing furniture in the student lounge instead. So we arrange follow-up meetings, form committees, only to have these ideas completely dismissed as well. If you have suggestions for a better way to approach these issues, I am open ears.

In other news, this whole situation is very real and not being exaggerated. Lawyers are getting involved on both the University and student side of the spectrum. It is a shame that the University has let it come to this.

There's a point where going about things the "right way" just no longer works. This is why students are posting on these forums. The "right way" has not worked, and does not seem poised to change any time soon. People keep making comments about how we are "derailing" the purpose of this thread. In fact, as a prospective medical student weighing my options on which schools to attend, these are exactly the pieces of information I would want to know. Please stop giving folks a hard time for offering genuine feedback that is designed to be beneficial. I wish I had this information prior to applying here, I know it certainly would have impacted my decision on which school to attend.
Like I said, I do not find these grievances surprising. Survive, and vote with your dollars by never, ever giving them a dime of donations. Alumni giving is the life blood of medical schools, any that chose to survive on tuition alone are foolish and destined for trouble.

Reactions: 5 users