2018-2019 University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I know UNT isn’t on MSAR- like the others TX schools- but anyone have any idea about the lower 10% on the MCAT accepted here? Anyone going there right now know the lowest MCAT they’ve heard from a colleague who was accepted? I’m just curious.
I scored low and so I asked the admissions staff who said they have interviewed lower than my score (498). No word on acceptance but an interview means a shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible to pre-match here if you interview the last week of November?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I know UNT isn’t on MSAR- like the others TX schools- but anyone have any idea about the lower 10% on the MCAT accepted here? Anyone going there right now know the lowest MCAT they’ve heard from a colleague who was accepted? I’m just curious.

I believe the lowest score accepted for our class (2022) is 502 (secondhand knowledge, not directly from admissions) but I know of one person who scored a 499, interviewed in November, and was taken off the waitlist at the end of June.

Also to answer some other people earlier in the thread:
I interviewed in early September (9/8) and matched here. My stats were 508/3.9 and in-state.
Conversely, a friend of mine interviewed a little later in September (in the 20s) and pre-matched. Her stats were about 507/3.6, with a master's in progress that was going very well.
Additionally, another friend of mine was taken off the waitlist in May. His stats were 510 and ~3.6 following post-bacc.
Finally, another friend of mine pre-matched here with a 506/3.8.

I think that using stats to predict success in admissions here is not going to be very fruitful. I feel that stats are not at the top of their list after a certain point, and this is likely true all-around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Are you OOS? Correct me if I am wrong, But I thought all in-state applicants find out if they are rejected/accepted/waitlisted on February 1st. Or can you get a rejection letter anytime after your interview? Someone, please shine some light.

Acceptances are limited to November 15th.

Rejections may be sent at any time.

To my knowledge, TCOM is the only TMDSAS school that sends hard rejections during the cycle.

Last edited:
Does anyone have check your to do list on your portal right after application received? My application has been complete since June and I still have the check your to do list. Last year I applied, but missed the secondary and it is still showing up as part of my to do list. I’m hoping this isn’t keeping my application from being reviewed for this year.

Does anyone have check your to do list on your portal right after application received? My application has been complete since June and I still have the check your to do list. Last year I applied, but missed the secondary and it is still showing up as part of my to do list. I’m hoping this isn’t keeping my application from being reviewed for this year.

For what it’s worth, I did the same thing last year and I interviewed there earlier this season and mine still says the same thing about the secondary on the to do list.

For what it’s worth, I did the same thing last year and I interviewed there earlier this season and mine still says the same thing about the secondary on the to do list.
Thank you so much for checking.

II earlier this afternoon
IS, LM 65, offered 11/6 and 11/27 (did not look at dates for December)
For those who have already interviewed here, how did you prepare? This is my first MMI, so not too sure how to prepare.

For those who have already interviewed here, how did you prepare? This is my first MMI, so not too sure how to prepare.
Stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
II today but interview tomorrow?

Haha that's why I chose 11/27. :laugh:

MMIs here are not generally scenario-based like they are at other schools. For example, you won’t be confronted with a question like “A patient presents...what do you do?”.

You’ll get questions similar to traditional interviews, just broken into an MMI format. For example, when I interviewed last year, I had an ethical question, a “why you?” question, a “why medicine?” question, and some other questions of similar type.

These questions will always have follow-up questions, so I make two recommendations:
1) leave room for an interviewer to follow up, especially if you want them to follow up on a specific thing you said
2) don’t say anything that you aren’t prepared to dive deeper into.
These are fairly standard interview tips, but they hold even truer for the MMI format hosted here.

A tactic I used, but only tentatively recommend, is to keep track of your time in each room. If you’re towards the end of an interview and you get a difficult question, beating around the bush for 20 seconds to run out the timer will definitely hurt you less than a bad answer. Again, I only tentatively recommend this and it should be a last-ditch tactic if you get a particularly difficult follow-up at the end of an interview.

I’ll come scare some of you 11/6 interviewers ;p and good luck to the rest later this month!

Reactions: 2 users
MMIs here are not generally scenario-based like they are at other schools. For example, you won’t be confronted with a question like “A patient presents...what do you do?”.

You’ll get questions similar to traditional interviews, just broken into an MMI format. For example, when I interviewed last year, I had an ethical question, a “why you?” question, a “why medicine?” question, and some other questions of similar type.

These questions will always have follow-up questions, so I make two recommendations:
1) leave room for an interviewer to follow up, especially if you want them to follow up on a specific thing you said
2) don’t say anything that you aren’t prepared to dive deeper into.
These are fairly standard interview tips, but they hold even truer for the MMI format hosted here.

A tactic I used, but only tentatively recommend, is to keep track of your time in each room. If you’re towards the end of an interview and you get a difficult question, beating around the bush for 20 seconds to run out the timer will definitely hurt you less than a bad answer. Again, I only tentatively recommend this and it should be a last-ditch tactic if you get a particularly difficult follow-up at the end of an interview.

I’ll come scare some of you 11/6 interviewers ;p and good luck to the rest later this month!

Thank you so much for the information/tips! This is super helpful!

Of course!

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about the school, interview day, or medical school in general!

II today! *woot*

IS, LM 65, I sent in the secondary literally on the deadline 10/15 (oops) so I was kinda shocked this happened!

november dates were full and there were only 7 slots left for 12/4 and 12/11, I didn't have the option to go into January!

Last edited:
II today! *woot*

IS, LM 65, I sent in the secondary literally on the deadline 10/15 (oops) so I was kinda shocked this happened!

november dates were full and there were only 7 slots left for 12/4 and 12/11, I didn't have the option to go into January!

Stats if you don’t mind me asking?

The last IIs are likely going to go out in about a month from today. Most TMDSAS schools finish interviewing in early January with their final invites going out in early/mid December.
Refreshing news to hear as a late applicant with no II yet

mcat 504-506, uGPA 3.7, mastersGPA 4.0
pretty sure my tmdsas uGPA is like a 3.65 but i like to think my 5 years on 4 different research projects while working and volunteering adds some value :laugh:

Hey that’s great! Pretty similar to my stats! Any other II’s at all this cycle? When did you have your primary in by as well?

Hey that’s great! Pretty similar to my stats! Any other II’s at all this cycle? When did you have your primary in by as well?

Aye team! Yeah I actually had a DO interview last week and I have an MD one later this month! Kinda expecting to have to wait a while to hear back so I'm just sitting tight. Had my primary AMCAS in like first week of June and Texas and AACOMAS in mid-July (I was interning abroad all summer so procrastination got the better of me). I've heard people getting great news this cycle across basically all stats so just gonna keep staying positive!

pardon me if this question has been asked before, but will those who interviewed on 10/26 be eligible for pre-match tomorrow?

pardon me if this question has been asked before, but will those who interviewed on 10/26 be eligible for pre-match tomorrow?

Technically anyone who interviewed before 11/15/2018 and even all the way up to 12/15/2018 can be pre-matched. It just depends on how much the admissions committee liked you and believes you’ll shine at their school.

Friends!

Good luck tonight and tomorrow morning during the first round of prematch!

If you get an acceptance, congratulations! You’ve worked hard and you better believe you earned that spot. Maybe we’ll meet next year ;)

If you don’t get an acceptance, neither did I! I matched here on February 1st after not prematching at any of the three schools where I had interviewed that far in the cycle. Hell, I know a guy in my class accepted off the waitlist on the first day of orientation.

If it helps: the TCOM prematches went out at 8:04am last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Earlier the UNTHSC Student Portal updated with an acceptance around 8:00 am!! No email yet though.
IS. Interviewed in early October.
Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 5 users
Portal says "Congratulations! You have been accepted!" but no email yet! IS, Interviewed in September

Accepted on the portal as well! Congrats guys!

Acceptance on the portal and just got the official email!! As a reapplicant I'm beyond excited I definitely did not expect this.

Last edited:
As a re-applicant, SO HAPPY TO FINALLY GET ACCEPTED AHHH! Incredibly thankful.
Good luck to everyone with this cycle!

Reactions: 8 users
My portal is not opening, super lag???? No email as of right now either :( . Wonder what happened? Felt like I really knocked out the interviews? To those who PreMatched, howre your GPA & MCAT like?

Congrats everyone! Exciting stuff. Did anyone who was accepted today interview on 10/26?

Last edited:
Accepted! When is the last day to confirm the acceptance?

Reactions: 3 users
My portal is not opening, super lag???? No email as of right now either :( . Wonder what happened? Felt like I really knocked out the interviews? To those who PreMatched, howre your GPA & MCAT like?

My GPA is with their avg (with upward trend), and my MCAT is ~6-9 points above their avg. My portal has been super laggy every once in a while too :c

Hope this helps!

I II’d there first week of September- got an invite literally 48 hours with in submitting my secondary. I thought my interviews went great tbh, guess not? Lol :D

Last edited:
I II’d there first week of September- got an invite literally 48 hours with in submitting my secondary. I thought my interviews went great tbh, guess not? Lol :D
You may have interviewed well but at the end of the day your overall points gives you a rank. You probably didn't make the cutoff for the offers sent out for now but I'm sure you will get it soon!