2018-2019 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also did not receive a call today :(

For those who were accepted, what are your stats and are you OOS/IS?
IS, 510, 3.49 uGPA, nontrad reapplicant (4.0 gGPA; MS in Biology)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear WesleySnipes,

Thank you for your patience in the admissions process and for your interest in Virginia Tech Carilion. As you may recall from our briefings during your MMI weekend, VTC has a small class size of 42 students, and we strive to seat a well-rounded class from highly accomplished candidates, like yourself.

This week, the admissions office of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine contacted all the applicants from the August and September MMIs who have been offered an acceptance in our first round of rolling admissions.

Your application record now moves over to our active-status pool where it will remain eligible for selection in our April round of acceptances. Any updates you submit to your record will be fully considered again by the admissions committee.

With Kind Regards,

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
(540) 526-2560

Reactions: 1 user
Dear WesleySnipes,

Thank you for your patience in the admissions process and for your interest in Virginia Tech Carilion. As you may recall from our briefings during your MMI weekend, VTC has a small class size of 42 students, and we strive to seat a well-rounded class from highly accomplished candidates, like yourself.

This week, the admissions office of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine contacted all the applicants from the August and September MMIs who have been offered an acceptance in our first round of rolling admissions.

Your application record now moves over to our active-status pool where it will remain eligible for selection in our April round of acceptances. Any updates you submit to your record will be fully considered again by the admissions committee.

With Kind Regards,

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
(540) 526-2560

Active pool buddies

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, did everyone get put in the pool, or were there rejections as well?

where did you hear that?
I read it from last years thread but it isn’t reliable information. Looks like 3 people got off the waitlist which is a pretty good number assuming most applicants don’t post in the thread

I was complete in early July, and have not heard anything from VTC since. Do you all think this is likely a silent/soft rejection?

I was complete in early July, and have not heard anything from VTC since. Do you all think this is likely a silent/soft rejection?
People who submitted in July/Aug. got IIs from Oct.-March last year which is good since it means they hold other things to importance more than just the date of submission

Reactions: 4 users

Thanks for asking this - glad i'm not alone. I was complete around Mid-July and the silence from this and most other schools is deafening...

I noticed on MSAR that last year 30 out of 200 out of state interviewees matriculated into VTC- with this in mind, how many acceptances do you think VTC gives out? and is there much waitlist movement in April?

I got a II today! So excited! Complete end of August.

Reactions: 1 users
I noticed on MSAR that last year 30 out of 200 out of state interviewees matriculated into VTC- with this in mind, how many acceptances do you think VTC gives out? and is there much waitlist movement in April?

30 out of 200? Man that is REALLY low. I would think like 2-3 times the number matriculants as that seems to be the normal amount? So like 60-90 acceptances?

EDIT: Looks like I hit it right on the nail. The actual number (according to US News) is 71 acceptances to get 29 matriculants for OOS interviewees. That also means that the post-interview rate is pretty low (~35%).

All while I am still holding out last hope for an interview here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if this school is receptive to ITA requests?

For those of who you who already interviewed, what was interview day like? How stressful were the MMIs?

Rejected just now. OOS. Personal note said that I lacked research and medical experience. Had 250+ hours of research with presentation/abstracts, 150 hours of hospital volunteering, and shadowing. I am sad :(

Rejected just now. OOS. Personal note said that I lacked research and medical experience. Had 250+ hours of research with presentation/abstracts, 150 hours of hospital volunteering, and shadowing. I am sad :(

When were you complete and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Just got the R, also said I didn't have enough research. Research hours as a Research Assistant in a Neuroscience lab were projected to be 330 by the end of the school year.

edit: complete 9/5, pre-ii

Last edited:
I just got a rejection email but they already sent me an identical email over a month ago lol!

Also rejected for not enough medical experiences. OOS complete 8/13

Anybody have any clue on how far in the future that they are scheduling interviews for?

Anybody have any clue on how far in the future that they are scheduling interviews for?

This Saturday will be their fourth out of seven interview days (I think). They assign you one date for interview. Not sure what happens if you can’t make that day

Edit: Interview Day link from their website

Sorry to hear! :( I hope you have luck with other schools!

Was this a pre-II or post-II rejection?

Carilion hit me with that Pre-II R. 3.65/513. They said my ~265 hours of research wasn't enough lol. I thought I had a shot being IS but oh well! Good luck everybody.

Carilion hit me with that Pre-II R. 3.65/513. They said my ~265 hours of research wasn't enough lol. I thought I had a shot being IS but oh well! Good luck everybody.
i relate fam

Complete since 7/6 and absolute radio silence from them since. It's making me absolutely nuts! I almost wish they'd send me the R and give me the peace of mind :dead:

Complete since 7/6 and absolute radio silence from them since. It's making me absolutely nuts! I almost wish they'd send me the R and give me the peace of mind :dead:
Same...maybe time to scour previous year's thread and see what that means? Maybe its as simple as our reviewer just hasnt gotten to us

Any tips for this MMI? Any feedback from those who have already interviewed?

I'm actually surprised they use an MMI format given how research-heavy their curriculum is focused. Would have expected a more traditional with an MD, PhD, etc.

Any tips for this MMI? Any feedback from those who have already interviewed?

I'm actually surprised they use an MMI format given how research-heavy their curriculum is focused. Would have expected a more traditional with an MD, PhD, etc.

It feels like they are really testing “fit” for the school. The interview day was pretty low stress. Have fun with the MMI! It seemed like most of us just prepared by watching YouTube videos or reading articles online. It felt like good enough prep for me