-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Virginia Tech Carilion
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
sendtheMDmyway
Full Member
sorry to hear that, you seem really qualified! you'll definitely get in somewhere else (if you haven't already!) tech is super hard on OOS and IS even because of their small class sizeRejected last week, pre-II (OOS). Somehow my 2,500+ hours of research and working full-time in a comparative anatomy lab for the past year weren't sufficient "research experience" lol. Good luck to everyone still in the running!!
Stats: 3.98/515
Rejected last week, pre-II (OOS). Somehow my 2,500+ hours of research and working full-time in a comparative anatomy lab for the past year weren't sufficient "research experience" lol. Good luck to everyone still in the running!!
Stats: 3.98/515
As someone that is also OOS with somewhat similar stats, thats a bummer to hear man, sorry! Can I ask when you were complete at VTC?
Also I think, with anecdotal evidence from this forum, we can pretty confidently state that the "reason(s)" provided in the rejection emails by VTC aren't really helpful (and sometimes basically not even true!).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
discocafe
Full Member
I sent a letter of interest and update and received an II only a couple days later. Interviewed this past weekend
Hi! When you uploaded these letters, did you email admissions to let them know? Thanks!
NeuroSanctions
Full Member
I uploaded the letter which was a page and a half and thorough, then I sent another very brief email to admissions explaining how great I thought the school was and how I really wanted to be there (2-3 sentences). The best advice someone gave me: "There are thousands of people waiting at the door, but very few are actually knocking." If done tastefully, being assertive can help.Hi! When you uploaded these letters, did you email admissions to let them know? Thanks!
I was complete mid-August!As someone that is also OOS with somewhat similar stats, thats a bummer to hear man, sorry! Can I ask when you were complete at VTC?
Also I think, with anecdotal evidence from this forum, we can pretty confidently state that the "reason(s)" provided in the rejection emails by VTC aren't really helpful (and sometimes basically not even true!).
I'm reading all the R's for insufficient research. I got a II but I have very little research on my application (worked full time + volunteered during undergrad. I do research processing at my full time job (3+ years) though but I am not coauthoring any studies or anything). I do have almost a decade of medical experience and at my previous job did some QI research for equipment and protocols but none of it was published. Since graduating/my application I'm involved in some medical quality improvement research that (hopefully) will be published next year. Anyway, is there a time during the interview I should bring this up? Or should I send it in an updated email/part of my thank you email?
I'm reading all the R's for insufficient research. I got a II but I have very little research on my application (worked full time + volunteered during undergrad. I do research processing at my full time job (3+ years) though but I am not coauthoring any studies or anything). I do have almost a decade of medical experience and at my previous job did some QI research for equipment and protocols but none of it was published. Since graduating/my application I'm involved in some medical quality improvement research that (hopefully) will be published next year. Anyway, is there a time during the interview I should bring this up? Or should I send it in an updated email/part of my thank you email?
I think there is an option to submit updates through the portal, maybe you could try doing that. So that way they have that information when reviewing your app again after interviews
girlwithwings
Full Member
Hi, congrats on the interview! If you don’t mind sharing, was the update letter about research or just a general activities update? And did your email mention research too?I uploaded the letter which was a page and a half and thorough, then I sent another very brief email to admissions explaining how great I thought the school was and how I really wanted to be there (2-3 sentences). The best advice someone gave me: "There are thousands of people waiting at the door, but very few are actually knocking." If done tastefully, being assertive can help.
Hey all! I interviewed a while ago and heard back a while ago that I got moved to the applicant pool that gets voted on in April. I want to write an update/LOI (I’ll send it at the end of March) expressing how much I love the school. I know LOIs are generally only written when on the waitlist...thoughts?
hopefuldoctor511
Full Member
Another question for you guys- I’ve seen people get rejected post secondary, but I submitted in August and haven’t heard anything... realistically are there any more chances for an II?
D
deleted867159
Is the reception/event the night before truly "optional" or is it expected that you attend?
NeuroSanctions
Full Member
Truly optional. I did not attend and was told many people don't due to travel constraints etc
NeuroSanctions
Full Member
Hey does anyone remember when the next admissions decision date is? I think I remember her saying sometime in December....?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I interviewed a while ago and heard back a while ago that I got moved to the applicant pool that gets voted on in April. I want to write an update/LOI (I’ll send it at the end of March) expressing how much I love the school. I know LOIs are generally only written when on the waitlist...thoughts?
How long after your interview were you notified of your applicant pool decision?
I haven't heard anything yet...is this a soft-rejection O^O
When were you complete?
9/10
Ah, I was complete 9/18 still haven't heard anything either
hopefuldoctor511
Full Member
Complete 8/7 and nothing. Seems weird if it is a silent rejection since plenty of people have been axed already. Still annoying.I haven't heard anything yet...is this a soft-rejection O^O
If people have been rejected and you have not, then you haven't been rejected.I haven't heard anything yet...is this a soft-rejection O^O
girlwithwings
Full Member
Complete early August and still nothing here either. Depressing since it's one of my top choices but still hoping for the best.
D
deleted867159
Question for those who already interviewed: Do they actually have you leave your phone at the front desk or just keep it in your pocket?
Question for those who already interviewed: Do they actually have you leave your phone at the front desk or just keep it in your pocket?
They make you check everything in- wallet, phone, etc. I just left everything in my car for ease (except my coat). They provide water bottles throughout the day as well as a pen and paper for your MMI session.
D
deleted867159
Damn your wallet too? That's a bit much.They make you check everything in- wallet, phone, etc. I just left everything in my car for ease (except my coat). They provide water bottles throughout the day as well as a pen and paper for your MMI session.
Oh well, thanks for the reply!
any idea when November interviewees are expected to hear back? I remember it being in December, but was there a specific date?
D
deleted867159
They made it seem as though Groups 3, 4, and 5 would all hear back at the same time. They didn't mention a specific date but they said before Christmas.any idea when November interviewees are expected to hear back? I remember it being in December, but was there a specific date?
They made it seem as though Groups 3, 4, and 5 would all hear back at the same time. They didn't mention a specific date but they said before Christmas.
I thought that the October/November people would hear in December and the December group would hear later but I could be wrong.
BearsBeetsBattlestar_
Full Member
At the December interview they said very few will hear back before Christmas and most will later.I thought that the October/November people would hear in December and the December group would hear later but I could be wrong.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted867159
I was under the impression that they said if December people didn't hear back before Christmas than we're either in the April-pool or rejected.At the December interview they said very few will hear back before Christmas and most will later.
hopefuldoctor511
Full Member
I called admissions last week to chat with them- they apparently have 2 interview dates left. They said that writing a letter of interest or an update letter would be beneficial- especially earlier in the cycle- but that it reopens your file and can have them take a second look. So I guess there is still hope.
BearsBeetsBattlestar_
Full Member
I took it as them saying some of us will hear back this month, as far as acceptance or deferred to April pool. Others would have to wait later, like January or something, to hear if we're accepted or put in the April pool. I could be wrong though. But I do know that they'll be discussing the December group tomorrow. Or at least that's what my traditional interviewer said.I was under the impression that they said if December people didn't hear back before Christmas than we're either in the April-pool or rejected.
I took it as them saying some of us will hear back this month, as far as acceptance or deferred to April pool. Others would have to wait later, like January or something, to hear if we're accepted or put in the April pool. I could be wrong though. But I do know that they'll be discussing the December group tomorrow. Or at least that's what my traditional interviewer said.
Yikes, I wonder if any decisions will come out this week!
BearsBeetsBattlestar_
Full Member
It'd be nice! But I'm not banking on itYikes, I wonder if any decisions will come out this week!
7
700458
Holy f***, II! My first one ever (and I'm a reapplicant!) Complete mid-July, nontrad ORM, OOS, LM upper/middle 60s. A lot of research experience. aaaaaAAHH
Last edited by a moderator:
BearsBeetsBattlestar_
Full Member
Congratulations!! I hope there's many more IIs coming your way! 😉Holy f***, II! My first one ever (and I'm a reapplicant!) Complete 7/13, nontrad ORM, LM upper/middle 60s. A lot of research experience. aaaaaAAHH
II yesterday! Complete 9/16. OOS, ORM, GPA: 3:85, MCAT: 507, heavy research and clinical experience!
Crazy_Cat_Lady00
New Member
Anyone have any idea when the decisions will be released for October interviewees? I know it is in December, but the suspense of not knowing a specific day is killing me!
I imagine it'll be in the next 1.5 weeks. After that, the holidays are in full swing. Time to do some shoppingAnyone have any idea when the decisions will be released for October interviewees? I know it is in December, but the suspense of not knowing a specific day is killing me!
Anyone have any idea when the decisions will be released for October interviewees? I know it is in December, but the suspense of not knowing a specific day is killing me!
On last year's thread, people heard back on the 3rd Tuesday & Wednesday of December. So if they repeat the same process, we should hear back around 12/18 and 12/19. 🙂
Has anyone heard back yet?On last year's thread, people heard back on the 3rd Tuesday & Wednesday of December. So if they repeat the same process, we should hear back around 12/18 and 12/19. 🙂
Has anyone heard back yet?
I have not !
I haven't either 🙁Has anyone heard back yet?
Crazy_Cat_Lady00
New Member
Radio silence. Was convinced today would be the day.Has anyone heard back yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Radio silence. Was convinced today would be the day.
I was too. I'm pretty much going to give up on having my phone glued to my side for the day. Hoping to hear about calls tomorrow.
I did not sleep a wink last night
When did you interview?Just got the call! Accepted!
oh man I have stopped breathing entirely