2018-2019 Virginia Tech Carilion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected last week, pre-II (OOS). Somehow my 2,500+ hours of research and working full-time in a comparative anatomy lab for the past year weren't sufficient "research experience" lol. Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

Stats: 3.98/515

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected last week, pre-II (OOS). Somehow my 2,500+ hours of research and working full-time in a comparative anatomy lab for the past year weren't sufficient "research experience" lol. Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

sorry to hear that, you seem really qualified! you'll definitely get in somewhere else (if you haven't already!) tech is super hard on OOS and IS even because of their small class size

As someone that is also OOS with somewhat similar stats, thats a bummer to hear man, sorry! Can I ask when you were complete at VTC?

Also I think, with anecdotal evidence from this forum, we can pretty confidently state that the "reason(s)" provided in the rejection emails by VTC aren't really helpful (and sometimes basically not even true!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody, completed mid sept, heard anything yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! When you uploaded these letters, did you email admissions to let them know? Thanks!
I uploaded the letter which was a page and a half and thorough, then I sent another very brief email to admissions explaining how great I thought the school was and how I really wanted to be there (2-3 sentences). The best advice someone gave me: "There are thousands of people waiting at the door, but very few are actually knocking." If done tastefully, being assertive can help.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone that is also OOS with somewhat similar stats, thats a bummer to hear man, sorry! Can I ask when you were complete at VTC?

Also I think, with anecdotal evidence from this forum, we can pretty confidently state that the "reason(s)" provided in the rejection emails by VTC aren't really helpful (and sometimes basically not even true!).
I was complete mid-August!

I'm reading all the R's for insufficient research. I got a II but I have very little research on my application (worked full time + volunteered during undergrad. I do research processing at my full time job (3+ years) though but I am not coauthoring any studies or anything). I do have almost a decade of medical experience and at my previous job did some QI research for equipment and protocols but none of it was published. Since graduating/my application I'm involved in some medical quality improvement research that (hopefully) will be published next year. Anyway, is there a time during the interview I should bring this up? Or should I send it in an updated email/part of my thank you email?

I'm reading all the R's for insufficient research. I got a II but I have very little research on my application (worked full time + volunteered during undergrad. I do research processing at my full time job (3+ years) though but I am not coauthoring any studies or anything). I do have almost a decade of medical experience and at my previous job did some QI research for equipment and protocols but none of it was published. Since graduating/my application I'm involved in some medical quality improvement research that (hopefully) will be published next year. Anyway, is there a time during the interview I should bring this up? Or should I send it in an updated email/part of my thank you email?

I think there is an option to submit updates through the portal, maybe you could try doing that. So that way they have that information when reviewing your app again after interviews

Reactions: 1 user
I uploaded the letter which was a page and a half and thorough, then I sent another very brief email to admissions explaining how great I thought the school was and how I really wanted to be there (2-3 sentences). The best advice someone gave me: "There are thousands of people waiting at the door, but very few are actually knocking." If done tastefully, being assertive can help.
Hi, congrats on the interview! If you don’t mind sharing, was the update letter about research or just a general activities update? And did your email mention research too?

Hey all! I interviewed a while ago and heard back a while ago that I got moved to the applicant pool that gets voted on in April. I want to write an update/LOI (I’ll send it at the end of March) expressing how much I love the school. I know LOIs are generally only written when on the waitlist...thoughts?

Another question for you guys- I’ve seen people get rejected post secondary, but I submitted in August and haven’t heard anything... realistically are there any more chances for an II?

Reactions: 3 users
Is the reception/event the night before truly "optional" or is it expected that you attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Truly optional. I did not attend and was told many people don't due to travel constraints etc

Hey does anyone remember when the next admissions decision date is? I think I remember her saying sometime in December....?

does anyone know when we have to complete drug screen, background check, immunizations etc after acceptance?

Hey all! I interviewed a while ago and heard back a while ago that I got moved to the applicant pool that gets voted on in April. I want to write an update/LOI (I’ll send it at the end of March) expressing how much I love the school. I know LOIs are generally only written when on the waitlist...thoughts?

How long after your interview were you notified of your applicant pool decision?

I haven't heard anything yet...is this a soft-rejection O^O
Complete 8/7 and nothing. Seems weird if it is a silent rejection since plenty of people have been axed already. Still annoying.

I haven't heard anything yet...is this a soft-rejection O^O
If people have been rejected and you have not, then you haven't been rejected.

Complete early August and still nothing here either. Depressing since it's one of my top choices but still hoping for the best.

Question for those who already interviewed: Do they actually have you leave your phone at the front desk or just keep it in your pocket?

Question for those who already interviewed: Do they actually have you leave your phone at the front desk or just keep it in your pocket?

They make you check everything in- wallet, phone, etc. I just left everything in my car for ease (except my coat). They provide water bottles throughout the day as well as a pen and paper for your MMI session.

They make you check everything in- wallet, phone, etc. I just left everything in my car for ease (except my coat). They provide water bottles throughout the day as well as a pen and paper for your MMI session.
Damn your wallet too? That's a bit much.

Oh well, thanks for the reply!

any idea when November interviewees are expected to hear back? I remember it being in December, but was there a specific date?

any idea when November interviewees are expected to hear back? I remember it being in December, but was there a specific date?
They made it seem as though Groups 3, 4, and 5 would all hear back at the same time. They didn't mention a specific date but they said before Christmas.

They made it seem as though Groups 3, 4, and 5 would all hear back at the same time. They didn't mention a specific date but they said before Christmas.

I thought that the October/November people would hear in December and the December group would hear later but I could be wrong.

I know this is a HUGE shot in the dark...but does anyone know roughly how many or what percentage of acceptances they give to this group of interviewees from Oct/Nov/Dec?

At the December interview they said very few will hear back before Christmas and most will later.
I was under the impression that they said if December people didn't hear back before Christmas than we're either in the April-pool or rejected.

I called admissions last week to chat with them- they apparently have 2 interview dates left. They said that writing a letter of interest or an update letter would be beneficial- especially earlier in the cycle- but that it reopens your file and can have them take a second look. So I guess there is still hope.

I was under the impression that they said if December people didn't hear back before Christmas than we're either in the April-pool or rejected.
I took it as them saying some of us will hear back this month, as far as acceptance or deferred to April pool. Others would have to wait later, like January or something, to hear if we're accepted or put in the April pool. I could be wrong though. But I do know that they'll be discussing the December group tomorrow. Or at least that's what my traditional interviewer said.

I took it as them saying some of us will hear back this month, as far as acceptance or deferred to April pool. Others would have to wait later, like January or something, to hear if we're accepted or put in the April pool. I could be wrong though. But I do know that they'll be discussing the December group tomorrow. Or at least that's what my traditional interviewer said.

Yikes, I wonder if any decisions will come out this week!

Holy f***, II! My first one ever (and I'm a reapplicant!) Complete mid-July, nontrad ORM, OOS, LM upper/middle 60s. A lot of research experience. aaaaaAAHH

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Holy f***, II! My first one ever (and I'm a reapplicant!) Complete 7/13, nontrad ORM, LM upper/middle 60s. A lot of research experience. aaaaaAAHH
Congratulations!! I hope there's many more IIs coming your way! ;)

II yesterday! Complete 9/16. OOS, ORM, GPA: 3:85, MCAT: 507, heavy research and clinical experience!

Anyone have any idea when the decisions will be released for October interviewees? I know it is in December, but the suspense of not knowing a specific day is killing me!

Anyone have any idea when the decisions will be released for October interviewees? I know it is in December, but the suspense of not knowing a specific day is killing me!
I imagine it'll be in the next 1.5 weeks. After that, the holidays are in full swing. Time to do some shopping :dead:

On last year's thread, people heard back on the 3rd Tuesday & Wednesday of December. So if they repeat the same process, we should hear back around 12/18 and 12/19. :)

On last year's thread, people heard back on the 3rd Tuesday & Wednesday of December. So if they repeat the same process, we should hear back around 12/18 and 12/19. :)
Has anyone heard back yet?

Just got the call! Accepted!

Reactions: 3 users
oh man I have stopped breathing entirely