2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There were ~166 people at second look last year (see last years thread) doesn’t really seem that abnormal, in fact it seems lower this year... and I guess I don’t really understand how this new scholarship money will do much to effect the waitlist negatively this year. Most financial offers have already gone out for accepted students, right? Plus, all we have as evidence is an article (that seems to have some inaccuracies, i.e. the class size, no quote from anyone involving admission?)... I think we all need to take a deep breath and be patient *hug for everyone* ❤

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
There were ~166 people at second look last year (see last years thread) doesn’t really seem that abnormal, in fact it seems lower this year... and I guess I don’t really understand how this new scholarship money will do much to effect the waitlist negatively this week year. Most financial offers have already gone out for accepted students, right? Plus, all we have as evidence is an article (that seems to have some inaccuracies, i.e. the class size, no quote from anyone involving admission?)... I think we all need to take a deep breath and be patient *hug for everyone* ❤
I needed this post. thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many people were accepted off the waitlist last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
There were ~166 people at second look last year (see last years thread) doesn’t really seem that abnormal, in fact it seems lower this year... and I guess I don’t really understand how this new scholarship money will do much to effect the waitlist negatively this week year. Most financial offers have already gone out for accepted students, right? Plus, all we have as evidence is an article (that seems to have some inaccuracies, i.e. the class size, no quote from anyone involving admission?)... I think we all need to take a deep breath and be patient *hug for everyone* ❤

I got a merit scholarship increase last week but N=1. WashU has a post on their own site about it now too

I got a merit scholarship increase last week but N=1. WashU has a post on their own site about it now too
was it that significant to make you change your decision about attending washu?

was it that significant to make you change your decision about attending washu?

Had already decided to attend WashU at that point but it was substantial enough to sway someone else's opinion IMO

Reactions: 1 users
a lot of people still have hope and it would nice to encourage them. not the other way around. I understand some are trying to share useful information. and we thank them for that. but let's not make it depressing please. if it is meant to be, it will happen. rest assured people of that and good luck to all of you including myself :)

Reactions: 3 users
a lot of people still have hope and it would nice to encourage them. not the other way around. I understand some are trying to share useful information. and we thank them for that. but let's not make it depressing please. if it is meant to be, it will happen. rest assured people of that and good luck to all of you including myself :)

Wasn't trying to be negative but just to answer the question about impressions from second look and how the scholarship change might impact movement. Certainly there will be some movement and I hope for the best for everyone

Reactions: 4 users
Had already decided to attend WashU at that point but it was substantial enough to sway someone else's opinion IMO
To provide a contrary perspective, I also received a merit scholarship (full tuition), but it will likely not be enough to sway me towards Wash U

• Love
To provide a contrary perspective, I also received a merit scholarship (full tuition), but it will likely not be enough to sway me towards Wash U

820.jpeg

• Haha

Thank you for your answer. it is very assuring ;):biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
At this point trying to apply logic to this process/predict things is like reading tea leaves lol

Reactions: 7 users
can someone in the admitted students facebook group give a general idea of how many current med students are in it?

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone in the admitted students facebook group give a general idea of how many current med students are in it?

the question is how do they know? I tried to join that group just to have some insights, they never accepted to add me. at first, I thought it is only for students who got accepted. but later one somebody explained that this wasn't the case... so it is hard to tell I guess... the group currently showing 266 members including the two admin who are second year medical students. this group had around 310 members like two weeks ago and the number started to drop gradually ..there is no way there is 264 accepted students on that group.... did anyone try to join and got accepted there?

the question is how do they know? I tried to join that group just to have some insights, they never accepted to add me. at first, I thought it is only for students who got accepted. but later one somebody explained that this wasn't the case... so it is hard to tell I guess... the group currently showing 266 members including the two admin who are second year medical students. this group had around 310 members like two weeks ago and the number started to drop gradually ..there is no way there is 264 accepted students on that group.... did anyone try to join and got accepted there?
its only for current students and accepted prospective students. I have no idea how many in the group are current students, but I think there should be waitlist movement. A lot of people I met at second look who said they were for sure going have now changed their minds (i.e. they got full tuition packages elsewhere in the last 10 days).

Due to the curriculum change, does anyone know if we elect to take a research year if it will have to be between 3rd and 4th year because the class below us will have totally different stuff going on? I don’t like that lack of flexibility.....

Due to the curriculum change, does anyone know if we elect to take a research year if it will have to be between 3rd and 4th year because the class below us will have totally different stuff going on? I don’t like that lack of flexibility.....
Email and ask. The administration will know better than anyone here. Also I think most people do research between 3rd and 4th year so I agree lack of flexibility would be annoying but likely not impactful

hi, now you have to commit to one school by April 30. what to do if you got an acceptance from a new school after that? I heard many opinions and at this point I am lost.

hi, now you have to commit to one school by April 30. what to do if you got an acceptance from a new school after that? I heard many opinions and at this point I am lost.
If you're still under consideration or wait listed at another school, you should select plan to enroll on the Choose Your Medical School Tool, but not "commit to enroll". If you receive another acceptance and want to attend the new school, you should withdraw from your current plan to enroll school and accept the new acceptance

Are waitlist decisions released directly after April 30th?

If we currently have 'Plan to Enroll' selected for WashU, do we need to do anything else at the moment? There's no deposit, right?

Are waitlist decisions released directly after April 30th?

from last year, the very first reported wailtlist decision was around May 3rd. so I think you should expect it to start immediately after April 30 till early June.

from last year, the very first reported wailtlist decision was around May 3rd. so I think you should expect it to start immediately after April 30 till early June.
Oh my god, I am very scared. I really want this to turn out into a happy ending.

First reports on SDN of waitlist movement:
2017-2018: May 8th (Tuesday)*
2016-2017: May 1st (Monday)
2015-2016: May 2nd (Monday)
2014-2015: May 1st (Friday)
2013-2014: May 5th? (Monday)

*this cycle seemed to be a bit weird as apparently there was an AAMC held a meeting from April 28-May 1 (it was probably about the changes to the application process this cycle).

Also, please note that it seems like there's initial movement the first week of May, and then a lag, and then more movement mid May (~10-15th).

LET'S DO THISSSSS.

(and yes, I cited my sources :bookworm:)

Reactions: 8 users
First reports on SDN of waitlist movement:
2017-2018: May 8th (Tuesday)*
2016-2017: May 1st (Monday)
2015-2016: May 2nd (Monday)
2014-2015: May 1st (Friday)
2013-2014: May 5th? (Monday)

*this cycle seemed to be a bit weird as apparently there was an AAMC held a meeting from April 28-May 1 (it was probably about the changes to the application process this cycle).

Also, please note that it seems like there's initial movement the first week of May, and then a lag, and then more movement mid May (~10-15th).

LET'S DO THISSSSS.

(and yes, I cited my sources :bookworm:)
three new people have been added to the FB group this week, who don’t look like current students, so I think WL offers have already started, they just haven’t been reported here.

three new people have been added to the FB group this week, who don’t look like current students, so I think WL offers have already started, they just haven’t been reported here.
They could’ve been waiting to join until a final decision too..I hope haha

JUST GOT IN OFF THE WAITLIST!!!!!! THERES HOPE!!!!

*Edit* was offered a half tuition scholarship

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Congrats!!! Did you send any letters of intent or updates?

I sent an update like in November before I got an interview. Other than that nope!

*Edit* actually yes I did lol sorry I sent one in February after I interviewed in January.

Last edited:
Also got accepted off the waitlist and offered half tuition scholarship!

Sent a letter of intent in January

Reactions: 5 users
Acceptance and scholarship withdrawn! Hoping y’all get it!

Also got accepted off the waitlist and offered half tuition scholarship!

Sent a letter of intent in January

congrats...happy for you...did they call you in the morning or in the afternoon? oh this is exciting... I hope we all hear something as good soon

congrats...happy for you...did they call you in the morning or in the afternoon? oh this is exciting... I hope we all hear something as good soon
I got a call in the evening!

Did you submit the WashU supplemental financial aid application or just send your FAFSA?

I’ve only submitted FAFSA so far

Update to the update: Washington just offered me full!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Ok so I have some questions:

1. Anyone at second look want to fill me in on what happened?

2. More importantly, can someone tell me (hopefully in detail) about the new curriculum and how it affects us?

Update to the update: Washington just offered me full!!

congrats...how wonderful is that!!!! they just got back with you with a full scholarship!!!! you didn't have to say or do anything....that is awesome indeed!

congrats...how wonderful is that!!!! they just got back with you with a full scholarship!!!! you didn't have to say or do anything....that is awesome indeed!

Thank you! I couldn’t believe it lol I just thought they were calling me back because I didn’t answer yesterday.

• Love
Thank you! I couldn’t believe it lol I just thought they were calling me back because I didn’t answer yesterday.

I am so happy for you.... you deserve it for sure :biglove:.... pray for me and others please...hopefully we will hear something good too :love:

I am so happy for you.... you deserve it for sure :biglove:.... pray for me and others please...hopefully we will hear something good too :love:

Of course! I hope this gives people hope that there is waitlist movement.

• Love
Also, anyone have a link to the Facebook page? I didn’t see anything in the portal about it.