2019-2020 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder when the UC season is over and they start putting people into their alternative list.
The alternative list generally isn’t made until late May/ June

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the admissions committee only meet on Mondays? Seems like most people's decisions are given to them on Monday?

I heard back on a Friday. I would just trust they will get back to you once they have an update on your file. No one in admissions is maliciously making people wait.

Reactions: 3 users
02/24 interview and just got a UC.

Glad it wasn’t a rejection! Now the waiting game.... Seems like there’s no way of knowing how long we have to wait, right?

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed first week of March and was accepted today! This is my first acceptance so I am especially excited and cannot believe it! Good luck to all of you and I hope things work out. I know the wait is awful but hang in there!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 2/24. It’s my first MD acceptance and my second cycle applying so I’m just feeling so grateful and excited!! Good luck to everyone waiting-y’all got this!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Interviewed on 2/19, got acceptance today!!! Only interview and only acceptance so far, feeling beyond blessed and grateful! Best of luck to all that are still waiting! :)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Does anyone know when we have to accept the financial aid by?

Accepted today as well, interviewed 02/19. Best of luck to all who are still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When do classes start?
That information has traditionally gone out during second look weekend, in person for those that attend and over email for people who do not. (I believe the second look day is virtual this year).

Declined my seat today. Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone that interviewed in early March hear back? This quarantine is making me a little crazier haha. I called a few weeks ago and they said that they would still be meeting virtually and do not anticipate an interruption in giving out decisions

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone that interviewed in early March hear back? This quarantine is making me a little crazier haha. I called a few weeks ago and they said that they would still be meeting virtually and do not anticipate an interruption in giving out decisions
I interviewed then and was accepted 7 days ago. Maybe call them today?

I also interviewed in early March and just logged in to ask this exact question.

I’m trying to figure out how much to take out in loans. Can any current students speak to average rent in the nearby apartments that students live in just so I know I’m not over-/underestimating? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m trying to figure out how much to take out in loans. Can any current students speak to average rent in the nearby apartments that students live in just so I know I’m not over-/underestimating? Thanks!
So the student loans tabulate things based on cost of living for the area already. So if you are like me with no parental help you usually take out the full amount or up to 5k lower if you are being frugal. If you are on the more frugal end you can take out more as the semester continues and if you take out money you can return it when you know you have too much.
If your parents are helping with a certain portion, or you are older and have saved up money) whatever you are putting in you can subtract from how much you need to take out.

Average rent depends on your preferences: I paid 500 dollars a month by renting a house with some friends my first few years, I know other people who are renting a luxury appartment for 1200 a month. It depends on your finances. The school gives you around 850 (if you include utilities) to live off of, but you can increase this amount in loans by having a signed lease and going to financial aid.

Reactions: 3 users
So the student loans tabulate things based on cost of living for the area already. So if you are like me with no parental help you usually take out the full amount or up to 5k lower if you are being frugal. If you are on the more frugal end you can take out more as the semester continues and if you take out money you can return it when you know you have too much.
If your parents are helping with a certain portion, or you are older and have saved up money) whatever you are putting in you can subtract from how much you need to take out.

Average rent depends on your preferences: I paid 500 dollars a month by renting a house with some friends my first few years, I know other people who are renting a luxury appartment for 1200 a month. It depends on your finances. The school gives you around 850 (if you include utilities) to live off of, but you can increase this amount in loans by having a signed lease and going to financial aid.
this was SO helpful. thank you!!!

I wish they would give you some indicator where you are on the UC list. Are we in the top 20%, bottom 20%?
yeah i agree.. will they do that with the alternative list? i don't want to hold out hope til July.. i don't have time for that :(

yeah i agree.. will they do that with the alternative list? i don't want to hold out hope til July.. i don't have time for that :(
Exactly! If you were, like, the last person before the “rejection” line, I wish they would say that so you aren’t holding your breath for months!

Do you guys know if they already gave out their scholarships? At this point, if I come out the UC I will only be enticed if offered a scholarship.

Do you guys know if they already gave out their scholarships? At this point, if I come out the UC I will only be enticed if offered a scholarship.
Im not sure if they offer merit-based scholarship but I received a need-based scholarship

This helped a lot, thank you!!

Hey all. I am going to be withdrawing my acceptance to AMC, hope it goes to one of you all. With the current state of the epidemic I've made the decision to attend a school closer to home and family. Dumb question though: Anyone know how I withdraw? I can't find any information in the portal or website. Thanks.

Reactions: 7 users