2019-2020 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was also wondering. Their website says that they interview into April, but I'm unsure if they're still sending invites. If anyone has not received an invite and is no longer interested in attending Albany, please help those of still waiting to hear back by withdrawing yourself from consideration. It means a lot to us!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else receive their financial aid package and were a bit underwhelmed by the lack of awards/grants lol.
Hi I work in financial aid. Only 3-4 out of the 140 students in the class get grants there first year. Almost the entire class is taking out loans. I came from 75% aid at my undergrad to 0% first year here. Then as you go through the institution you can gain more grants for need based aid. My financial aid has increased second year and third year. There are no merit grants from inside the school. Anyone can qualify for work study if wanted to lower some of the burden.
I was also wondering. Their website says that they interview into April, but I'm unsure if they're still sending invites. If anyone has not received an invite and is no longer interested in attending Albany, please help those of still waiting to hear back by withdrawing yourself from consideration. It means a lot to us!
We are still sending out interviews but there are 4 interview dates left so we are headed towards the end.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I work in financial aid. Only 3-4 out of the 140 students in the class get grants there first year. Almost the entire class is taking out loans. I came from 75% aid at my undergrad to 0% first year here. Then as you go through the institution you can gain more grants for need based aid. My financial aid has increased second year and third year. There are no merit grants from inside the school. Anyone can qualify for work study if wanted to lower some of the burden.

We are still sending out interviews but there are 4 interview dates left so we are headed towards the end.
How do those 3-4 students get chosen for the grants? Is this the same as the scholarships ?

Reactions: 1 user
Are they selected or do those people have to fill out an app? Is any merit required behind it also like a minimum GPA, etc?
First year scholarships are selected based on your applications for medical school. They do not have a minimum gpa or academic standards.

Reactions: 2 users
i just got this email.......
my plane ticket $$ T_T

Good Evening,

We want to inform all applicants that Albany Medical College has instated a college-wide policy cancelling your interview due to the spread of coronavirus or COVID-19.

We will be offering the option of an alternative remote interview to those who are still interested. For those still interested in interviewing, please let us know by replying to this e-mail no later than Tuesday, March 10th at 12 PM EST.

We again want to assure you that this will not negatively impact your chances of admission should you choose a remote interview. We do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but this is being done for the safety of everyone involved.

Best,

Office of Admissions

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
my plane ticket $$ T_T

Good Evening,

We want to inform all applicants that Albany Medical College has instated a college-wide policy cancelling your interview due to the spread of coronavirus or COVID-19.

We will be offering the option of an alternative remote interview to those who are still interested. For those still interested in interviewing, please let us know by replying to this e-mail no later than Tuesday, March 10th at 12 PM EST.

We again want to assure you that this will not negatively impact your chances of admission should you choose a remote interview. We do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but this is being done for the safety of everyone involved.

Best,

Office of Admissions
whoa that's crazy! also sorry that you already had to drop that $ on a plane ticket...

my plane ticket $$ T_T

Good Evening,

Best,

Office of Admissions
+1 had same email. Call the airlines that you booked with. Most major airlines will be refunding tickets due to the coronavirus. I'm just glad I got this email before I got on the plane..

my plane ticket $$ T_T

Good Evening,

Best,

Office of Admissions
When was your interview scheduled for? So sorry to hear that, though.....

Bruh I just lost $700 on non-refundable airline and hotel costs lol

Members don't see this ad :)
it was 3/12.....
Southwest wont refund because of the virus, but i have the money in "travel funds" for a year
Yikes. I thought everyone loves Southwest. Guess they lost some brownie points from you.

Yikes. I thought everyone loves Southwest. Guess they lost some brownie points from you.

This has always been the southwest policy though. Without coronavirus they’re one of the few airlines that doesn’t have a cancellation or change fee

it was 3/12.....
Southwest wont refund because of the virus, but i have the money in "travel funds" for a year
You should call them and tell them you have a dry cough and fever. If they don’t want to refund you then tell them you’re boarding the plane.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
AMC sent a similar (and very strange) email to all staff about a 30-day moratorium on all domestic and international travel, followed by something about conferences. Nobody is sure if it applies to everyone or if it was meant for just school or hospital-related travel. They’re getting pretty serious about this covid-19 thing so I’m not surprised they also halted interviews.

So if anyone that gets an interview over video chat wants to throw the link in here so all of us can have a shot that would be much appreciated

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Wow this is crazy lol. They also cancelled our mandatory stuff including anatomy labs.

What's the dress code for the remote interview? Am I suiting up still?

What's the dress code for the remote interview? Am I suiting up still?
I would assume business formal from the waist up only! lol

But in all seriousness, I would dress as though you are going in person. Also be sure to make your surroundings bright and clean. The remote interview kind of sucks, but its also nice because it is much easier to mentally prepare yourself for the setting and situation since you can more accurately practice beforehand!

Last edited:
Have they given any details for the remote interview yet?

I would assume business formal from the waist up only! lol

But in all seriousness, I would dress as though you are going in person. Also be sure to make your surroundings bright and clean. The remote interview kind of sucks, but its also nice because it is much easier to mentally prepare yourself for the setting and situation since you can more accurately practice beforehand!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
What do you mean by online programming?
I think many schools are having online "versions" of second look, like opportunities to speak with faculty, info about the school, something to replace the fact that we cant go in person.

I think many schools are having online "versions" of second look, like opportunities to speak with faculty, info about the school, something to replace the fact that we cant go in person.
Or not replace but at least supplement.

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is still meeting throughout this coronavirus stuff? Still waiting to hear back post in-person interview

• Haha
On point

Attachments

• 4CFA8933-B367-43C0-93FE-0DBED76C6093.jpeg
    4CFA8933-B367-43C0-93FE-0DBED76C6093.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 3 users
Do we think online interviews disadvantage applicants? Instinct says yes but i have no proof

Do we think online interviews disadvantage applicants? Instinct says yes but i have no proof

Its 4 panels instead of 8, so mathematically the stakes are higher given that there's less panels/chances for you to mess up on

Any more recent UC movements that people have heard?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone - MS1 here. Saw a couple pages back a lot of questions about e-mails/meet-n-greets from the Underrepresented Students Alliance.

I'm involved in both USA itself and a couple of the affiliated organizations. If there is anyone who would still wish to speak to members from our groups as they consider their options (including anyone doing a video interview this week - the last scheduled date I believe), feel free to reach out.

Also, as far as Second Look Day, the admissions office is working on some virtual/online options. Everyone is definitely super bummed that we can't have ya'll visit in person, but they're working hard to put something together.

Given many schools and other large institutions are closing/modifying hours, I assume we should be expecting delays in hearing back from adcoms? Just asking because I did my interview 3 weeks ago and we were told 3-4 weeks to hear back.

Given many schools and other large institutions are closing/modifying hours, I assume we should be expecting delays in hearing back from adcoms? Just asking because I did my interview 3 weeks ago and we were told 3-4 weeks to hear back.

Interviewed the same day as you, and have the same concerns. Did anyone who interviewed in mid February hear back, 2/14-2/21? Would be good to know where they are in decisions.

Interviewed the same day as you, and have the same concerns. Did anyone who interviewed in mid February hear back, 2/14-2/21? Would be good to know where they are in decisions.
I interviewed 2/10 and called them 3/12 and they said I should be hearing early this week.

I interviewed 2/14 and haven't heard anything yet!

Reactions: 4 users
When do they start rejecting people off the UC list? I have a feeling I’m ranked really low...