2019-2020 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else interview 12/13 and still hear nothing?
I interviewed 12/16 and haven't heard back. They indicated we would hear back in 5 weeks...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does case have a student hosting program for interviews?

They had a list of people who volunteer to host in one of the info tabs on the interview page. Not sure how active it is though... I emailed the suggested 6 people and never heard back so I just got an Airbnb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any current students or applicants know if there is any possibility of switching into the MD/PhD program after MS1 or MS2? Does this happen?

Any current students or applicants know if there is any possibility of switching into the MD/PhD program after MS1 or MS2? Does this happen?

im pretty sure most programs allow for you to apply sometime in M1/M2 :)

M1 at case here. I know of one person who's trying to do it. Seems like admin was receptive to it and they're working in lab rotations and for all intents and purposes seem to be operating as MD/PhD. But they're not getting that sweet, sweet MSTP stipend....

Sent from my GM1917 using SDN mobile

Has anyone been notified of the merit scholarship application opening yet?

Thanks! Was the email explicit about the acceptance or was it like "check your portal to see your decision"?
it said ACCEPTED in the subject line so I knew before I even opened the email

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 12/16 and haven't heard back. They indicated we would hear back in 5 weeks...
At my interview in January, they told us the committee would be meeting to discuss us the next week (week of MLK day) and hopefully turn decisions in 3-4 weeks (which is now next week or week after). If you were being reviewed at the same meeting, that’s hopefully what the timeline is!!

Has anyone gotten around to asking about the delay with the merit scholarship apps?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the scholarship application email about an hour ago!

In the merit scholarship application, what do you guys think about the option to include how many/which other schools you are considering acceptances from? Should I include my (one) other acceptance? Would there any pros/cons to not doing so? I'm not really sure how this works.

Reactions: 2 users
In the merit scholarship application, what do you guys think about the option to include how many/which other schools you are considering acceptances from? Should I include my (one) other acceptance? Would there any pros/cons to not doing so? I'm not really sure how this works.
I was up front about it. I might be crazy.

I was up front about it. I might be crazy.

I mean, with your 15 (!!!) acceptances, I think that makes sense for you. It shows that you're a super competitive applicant and that if Case wants you to attend, they probably need to offer you competitive financial aid. But since I just have one other acceptance (to Ohio State, no less), I'm not sure whether it's worth it to include. I'm worried that they'll see that I'm not as competitive/have fewer options than applicants like you and decide not to waste a scholarship on me haha. Honestly though, I'm probably overthinking this. I'll probably just go ahead and do it.

I mean, with your 15 (!!!) acceptances, I think that makes sense for you. It shows that you're a super competitive applicant and that if Case wants you to attend, they probably need to offer you competitive financial aid. But since I just have one other acceptance (to Ohio State, no less), I'm not sure whether it's worth it to include. I'm worried that they'll see that I'm not as competitive/have fewer options than applicants like you and decide not to waste a scholarship on me haha. Honestly though, I'm probably overthinking this. I'll probably just go ahead and do it.
Or they'll see you were accepted somewhere with significantly lower tuition and would want to level the decision making process so Finances are not as big of a concern. They accepted you already so they like you, and offered the scholarship so they must want to keep you!

Reactions: 4 users
Or they'll see you were accepted somewhere with significantly lower tuition and would want to level the decision making process so Finances are not as big of a concern. They accepted you already so they like you, and offered the scholarship so they must want to keep you!

I'm gonna go with that. :) Thanks.

Congrats!! Is that the timeline they told you it would be, or did the decision take longer? January interview and they told us 3-4 weeks, so trying to temper expectations !

I think the admissions committee meets at the end of the month and then sends out acceptances 3-4 weeks after that!

Are lectures recorded here? And does anybody remember if they are mandatory?

Are lectures recorded here? And does anybody remember if they are mandatory?
From what I remember, only a handful are recorded. I asked a med student about this, and they said they will eventually start recording all of them. They're also not mandatory because most of your learning come from IQ

From what I remember, only a handful are recorded. I asked a med student about this, and they said they will eventually start recording all of them. They're also not mandatory because most of your learning come from IQ
Okay, thank you!

so im accepted but didnt get an email abt the merit scholarship application, it means im out of running right?

so im accepted but didnt get an email abt the merit scholarship application, it means im out of running right?
Unfortunately, yes. You only get the email if your acceptance/offer letter in your portal says that you've been invited to apply for the scholarship.

Does Case tell you what your place is in the wait list after traffic day? Is it ethical/professional to send a letter of intent but then also withdraw preemptively if if you feel it is too late/close to the start of school without being pulled off?

Does Case tell you what your place is in the wait list after traffic day? Is it ethical/professional to send a letter of intent but then also withdraw preemptively if if you feel it is too late/close to the start of school without being pulled off?
I don't think its an ethical issue. If you have other acceptances you need for abide by their CTE deadline anyway, which would dictate how close you can realistically get to the start of school. And they must understand that people need to start finalizing plans and moving on at some point.

Is there a secret to getting a hold of the admissions office? Tried calling 2-3 times a week for the last 3 weeks.

Second look canceled. They’re gonna have some kind of online experience now

Second look canceled. They’re gonna have some kind of online experience now

This is really sad. These second looks felt pretty crucial in my decision making...I’m not really sure how an online experience can replicate it. I mean I definitely get it but this news is trash lol

Reactions: 12 users
This is really sad. These second looks felt pretty crucial in my decision making...I’m not really sure how an online experience can replicate it. I mean I definitely get it but this news is trash lol

We didn’t want to cancel. None of us do. We’re really bummed out about this as we know how important it can be in your decision making. Obviously, the online experience isn’t ideal but we want to offer you all something.

We didn’t want to cancel. None of us do. We’re really bummed out about this as we know how important it can be in your decision making. Obviously, the online experience isn’t ideal but we want to offer you all something.

No I know and I definitely understand. It’s just a bummer. Thank you for still offering a virtual experience. It won’t be the same, but I’m sure we all are still very thankful!

IMO, the silver lining of virtual second look is that so many more students can participate. Lots of people can't afford plane tickets to return to schools they already couldn't afford to visit for interviews. Hopefully schools can learn what works and what doesn't and then incorporate that into future events for prospective students.

Completely agree! We’ll do our best to bring some creative and engaging content.

Completely agree! We’ll do our best to bring some creative and engaging content.

I hope CWRU, and other schools, can share best practices and improve access for medical schools across the country. Thank you to all admissions staff who I imagine are working around the clock to make last minute changes and serve us in making informed decisions! We appreciate you!