2019-2020 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on 11/4 and did not get an email, but decision is on my portal FYI!!

Congrats interview buddy!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted on November 6th! Interviewed Oct. 14th--
If you have any questions for me feel free to reach out! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just heard back from the Admissions office and they don't offer any more merit scholarship invitations if your offer letter doesn't already extend one. Kinda knew this to be the case, but still slightly bummed to hear it explicitly.

Get in lads! II!!! It’s the most wonderful time of the year!!! Complete 9/09

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
II to College Program this morning (complete mid-July). Also had an R to CWRU a couple weeks ago

Reactions: 2 users
R complete late July :(

• Sad
II recently, complete end of July. Many spots in January open from early to late Jan.

Big fat R (pre-II) real sad about this since I'm an alum.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II this past week! January dates were open.

Reactions: 8 users
Any LM < 70 ppl get IIs here? What do you think made your app stand out

Any LM < 70 ppl get IIs here? What do you think made your app stand out
Yes. LM <65 here, II and A.
  • Application was in line with their mission (lots of research experience)
  • Had a unique EC that I continued for >4 years as a result of personal interest—completely unrelated to medicine. involved something tech-related.
  • Massive upward trend + greatly improved post bacc. GPA, solid MCAT on first attempt.
  • URM—included for full transparency. However, this alone would not have made my application stand out from the thousands that this school receives.

Reactions: 7 users
Don't get so hung up on stats. Schools look for a mix of stats, experiences, diversity, etc. Christian Essman, Director of Admissions, even mentioned it on his podcast or one of Dr Gray's -- schools usually only post the mean or median, and maybe a 25-75% range, but not the entire range. Case is good enough to show the full range. Here's from Case's own website about their statistics (Class Profiles | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University) for the 2017-2018 class. Case admitted people with sub 3.0 GPA's and just above 500 MCAT's (so their LM's would be low). Probably not a ton but they're there. It's pretty much a mystery what makes one person stand out at one school and get rejected outright at another.

Metrics and Demographics
  • Average MCAT: 516.4 (94th percentile), Range: 503 - 526
  • Average Cumulative GPA: 3.75, Range: 2.91 - 4.00
  • Average Science GPA: 3.71, Range: 2.85 - 4.00
  • 55% Female
  • Average Age 24, Age Range: 19 - 37
Just do the best you can with your stats, and be true with who you are. The right match will happen eventually.
a 19 year old? Cool.

When does Case tend to send post interview notifications?

Accepted!!!! Interviewed 11/22
OOS, Stats in signature
Didn't expect this at all because my interview day wasn't the greatest, and I felt that I didn't articulate Why Case the best, but I think sending a thank you to the admissions office and my interviewers really drove home the point that I wanted to attend - they were incredibly responsive. Not considered for merit aid, so Case might be a little ~expensive~ haha

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted via email!! Interviewed 11/9. Edit: invited for Dean’s scholarship!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if Cleveland is a fun city to live in? I'm looking for a big city vibe that has tons of things to do on the weekends (clubs, bars, events, etc.) and is lgbtq friendly

ACCEPTED!!!! Interviewed 12/6. I am over the moon right now. Invited to apply for the Dean's Scholarship as well. WOOHOO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted and invited to apply for Dean Scholarship!!! Interviewed 11/18! Wooohoooo

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Alternate list, interviewed 12/9 (I’m guessing that means I have no chance for a merit scholarship even if I do get in, so probably won’t be going to case haha)

:unsure: getting the case western R but the CCLCM II

I guess I'll see you cowboys in January - PM if you want to discuss my research as practice for the interview

Accepted!! Interviewed 11/20

WL. A little sad because the curriculum resonated with me strongly but moving forward with no regrets. Happy for the opportunity and grateful for what I have learned during this process!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Finally caught that pre-II R today, lads, complete late July. I’m just glad they gave me an answer before the end of the year.

• Sad
Anyone have statistics on WL movement here? Asking for a friend...

Anyone have statistics on WL movement here? Asking for a friend...

I know we’re a data-driven group but anecdotal evidence that I’ve heard suggests that a large chunk of the current M1s are from the waitlist - I wouldn’t lose hope!

pre II R. Complete 8/8. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
has anyone accepted gotten their CWRU network ID yet? trying to get financial aid stuff figured out

Lmao if CWRU really wants to wish me a happy holidays maybe they can let me in off the WL! Almost had a heart attack when I saw the admissions holiday email....

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Is alternate list their version of post-R? everyone seems to be getting an A or WL after interview here.

They do actual rejections, and if I remember correctly, a fair amount of students I talked to were pulled from the waitlist.

I had the good fortune of interviewing at over a dozen MD programs this year and received a few acceptances. Case was almost my very last interview, so I had the chance to see what many other schools offered. While every single program was awesome and I'd be honored to go to any of them, there was something about Case that really stood out to me. I loved the interdisciplinary approach, and the new building that houses this design was gorgeous. The faculty and students seemed to genuinely care and my interviews were both awesome. I also really connected with my group of interviewees and the students that I met that day. The hospital affiliations are literally 2nd to none for me and the curriculum (with strong dual degree options and a mandatory focus on research) is very agreeable to me. Crossing fingers for that acceptance, it would be an awesome start to the new year.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Do we upload LOI to the portal?
Yep! I sent mine as an email to admissions and they responded suggesting I upload it to the portal if I wanted it to be visible by all adcom members. I guess they don't automatically add emails to your file so you should always upload to the portal just in case.

II just now...completed late July
honestly so unexpected I thought I was done with interviews...
lots of open dates in Jan

Reactions: 9 users