2019-2020 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 2 users
How generous are the scholarships/what percentage of the class receive them? Also, for those accepted after April 1st, is it not possible to apply for scholarships at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here soon. Any tips for prep (particularly for the essay)? I've already gone through the schools website and gotten a lot of stuff to talk about from that, been reviewing my application/essays, and I've looked through reported questions on the SDN interview page. Also I'll be in the PM group and I have a 7:15 flight out of philly. Is that realistic? Thanks so much for any input!

Edit: Also what exactly is the format for the student interview? Is it just a conversation during lunch? Or is it more formal?

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing here soon. Any tips for prep (particularly for the essay)? I've already gone through the schools website and gotten a lot of stuff to talk about from that, been reviewing my application/essays, and I've looked through reported questions on the SDN interview page. Also I'll be in the PM group and I have a 7:15 flight out of philly. Is that realistic? Thanks so much for any input!

Edit: Also what exactly is the format for the student interview? Is it just a conversation during lunch? Or is it more formal?
+1 would like to know. Interviewing on 3/11 :)

Hi! Biggest tip is just be yourself (sorry cringy but true) because the whole day is very relaxed (compared to other interviews I've had). The PM interview starts with curriculum Q&A, followed by lunch and tour with 1 or other interviewees and a MS1. They said the whole point of the 'student interview' is to see if a medcial student could see themselves working with you/ if you would be a good fit for Drexel's team based learning style. The faculty interview is 30 mins and a typical interview, and the essay is a Casper style prompt. The lastest your day could end is 4:30. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users

1) Super casual student interview, hardly an interview. Some medical students asked formal questions, others did not. Varies.

2) Essay is easier than CASPer, and you will have plenty of time (I had plenty of time and I am a super slow iPad typer).

3) Bizzarely, PM interview times are based on your last name's placement in the alphabet. I was alphabetically unlucky and got the last interview time at 4, and due to the interviews running late, had mine at 4:30 PM, and was out at 5:20 ish. This cuts 7:15 PM tight, but if you are travelling on a low traffic day (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday) you'll be able to fly by security and make it no problem. If travelling on another day, reconsider flight time unless your last name starts with A-K.

• Love
Hi! Biggest tip is just be yourself (sorry cringy but true) because the whole day is very relaxed (compared to other interviews I've had). The PM interview starts with curriculum Q&A, followed by lunch and tour with 1 or other interviewees and a MS1. They said the whole point of the 'student interview' is to see if a medcial student could see themselves working with you/ if you would be a good fit for Drexel's team based learning style. The faculty interview is 30 mins and a typical interview, and the essay is a Casper style prompt. The lastest your day could end is 4:30. Hope that helps!

1) Super casual student interview, hardly an interview. Some medical students asked formal questions, others did not. Varies.

2) Essay is easier than CASPer, and you will have plenty of time (I had plenty of time and I am a super slow iPad typer).

3) Bizzarely, PM interview times are based on your last name's placement in the alphabet. I was alphabetically unlucky and got the last interview time at 4, and due to the interviews running late, had mine at 4:30 PM, and was out at 5:20 ish. This cuts 7:15 PM tight, but if you are travelling on a low traffic day (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday) you'll be able to fly by security and make it no problem. If travelling on another day, reconsider flight time unless your last name starts with A-K.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to seeing Philly for the first time!

Hey guys, I threw together a powerpoint for my parents about the financial stuff along with a general explanation of student loans. I can't guarantee that it's right at all, but maybe it'll be helpful for people just starting to look at loan options? I am not into finances at all so again I have to stress that things in this can be correct.

Attachments

• COA.pdf
    161.2 KB · Views: 137
I also made a loan calculation excel sheet that should give a really rough idea of how interest will affect your loans over the four years you're in school....again, not guaranteed to be correct at all. Bottom left tab is if you're just paying in loans and cash....bottom right is if someone is loaning you money with no interest, allowing you to pay off the other, lower interest loan first.

Attachments

• loan calculation.xlsx
    12.4 KB · Views: 101
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I hadnt even thought of this. Mine isnt till the end of the month but I already booked flight/hotel :/
Ahh okay I would probably see if you can add travelers insurance :/. Mine is this Wednesday but luckily my bus ticket was not too expensive but it would suck if they cancelled and rescheduled it.

Has anyone gotten a ii recently?
Just got an II @ 1430 today. Didn't think schools were still sending out invites. Going to withdraw my application. Hopefully it goes to someone who needs it. Good luck everyone.

• Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Just got an II @ 1430 today. Didn't think schools were still sending out invites. Going to withdraw my application. Hopefully it goes to someone who needs it. Good luck everyone.

Congrats!!
We’re you ever on hold?

FYI, interview dates that I could have signed up for are March 31st and April 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 7th.

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone who interviewed in Feb/March remember if they gave us a general timeline on when we should hear back?

Does anyone who interviewed in Feb/March remember if they gave us a general timeline on when we should hear back?

The last 2 decision dates are 3/23 and 4/20. There has been about 2 months lag between interview and decision this year, so you should hear back in April.

Is anyone mildly concerned that with all schools and everything shifting online, interviews may get postponed? Have mine the week of the 22nd, and I have already booked flights and everything... but I don't want to have to do an online interview and/or having it postponed would really cause issues for deciding on other schools as deadlines approach...

Had my interview today! My interviewer was low-key pretty rude, or maybe they were testing me to see how I handled the pressure, but I’m totally expecting that R lmao. Good luck to everyone else!

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Had my interview today! My interviewer was low-key pretty rude, or maybe they were testing me to see how I handled the pressure, but I’m totally expecting that R lmao. Good luck to everyone else!

They probably had coronavirus. I've heard one of the symptoms is rudeness.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
They just moved our interviews to virtual. I am worried about how this will affect our standings.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
did they email you?

There was an email yeah. I have another school interview coming up and I'm worried it will be moved to an online interview as well. I am freaking out cause I am worried about the slight disadvantages online interviews have compared to in-person ones (lag, not being able to read body language, etc.).

They moved all lectures and CBL to online as well just now. Velly nice!

I have absolutely no doubt second look day is going to be cancelled

are interview invites still being given out? i accepted another school but this is close to home for me *cries*

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else still on the Pre-II hold? Was placed on hold in late December, sent an update in Jan and patiently waiting for a surprise II lol

Anyone else still on the Pre-II hold? Was placed on hold in late December, sent an update in Jan and patiently waiting for a surprise II lol

Same here, December hold/January update, but I’ve technically been “on hold” since my first cycle in 2017, so I’ve given up hope now. I’m taking this as yet another silent R from my alma mater :(

Seniors basically lost match day.

M3 rotations are closed for two weeks.

• Sad
Yeah it’s awful, I’ve been here n hold since 1/19. Still hopeful though

Fighting with american airlines to hopefully refund my interview flight :/

Is there anyone who has had an online interview already that can give more info on how it works?

The last 2 decision dates are 3/23 and 4/20. There has been about 2 months lag between interview and decision this year, so you should hear back in April.
where did you find those dates? do you think feb 3 interviewees will hear back in march or april?

where did you find those dates? do you think feb 3 interviewees will hear back in march or april?

the turnaround time has been between 1 and 2+ months... I don’t think it’s possible to give a more specific answer (especially right now)

ive seen you around this website a lot in the past, and just saw that you got accepted here. congrats! im currently finishing up my M1 year here and i have really been enjoying it so far. if you have any questions, let me know.

any updates from those deferred? I realize the whole process to re-review our apps has probably massively slowed down bc of COVID-19 but hopefully they don't take too long...

any updates from those deferred? I realize the whole process to re-review our apps has probably massively slowed down bc of COVID-19 but hopefully they don't take too long...
Deferred 11/25 and still haven’t heard

How generous are the scholarships/what percentage of the class receive them? Also, for those accepted after April 1st, is it not possible to apply for scholarships at all?

Following up with this question. Interviewed in early Feb and awaiting a decision. Can I fill out the scholarship application if I haven't been accepted yet?