2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does KP accept updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
for people who interviewed here, did they talk about research at all? There isn't anything on their website about research so I'm thinking its not going to be a big focus of the school, especially because they are not affiliated with any university.

Reactions: 1 user
for people who interviewed here, did they talk about research at all? There isn't anything on their website about research so I'm thinking its not going to be a big focus of the school, especially because they are not affiliated with any university.

Well they have the word innovation on their website. My app doesn't scream service or patient care, it's heavily academic medicine oriented...so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the II even with a good LM

Have any of the people that have already received IIs taken the MCAT more than once?

does KP accept updates?
They do in fact. The caveat is that they’ll only accept them after you’ve already interviewed.
They did talk about it a good amount actually and I had the chance to speak with an adcom individually at lunch. They basically said there are a bunch of clinical research opportunities given how vast the kaiser patient network is and they’ve established partnerships with closeby universities like CalTech if you want to do lab stuff. I specifically asked one of the adcoms how likely it would be for me to be able to do research at CalTech and he was very confident in their partnership.

Reactions: 1 users
Primary verified late July. No secondary received yet. SOL?
Call/email them. They have no screens. I submitted my primary to KP like a week ago and got the secondary the following day.

really hoping for some love here. ive got a mix of clinical, service, and research so hopefully they see me as a good mission fit :xf:

though i wish i was closer to my doc.. a LOR from a kaiser doc would've been beneficial I bet

I don’t think personal doctors are allowed to write LORs. Must violate some type of ethical principle

I don’t think personal doctors are allowed to write LORs. Must violate some type of ethical principle

lol i was kidding, but i was getting at being acquaintances with a kaiser doc would help you find potential shadowing opportunities with his colleagues.

really hoping for some love here. ive got a mix of clinical, service, and research so hopefully they see me as a good mission fit :xf:

though i wish i was closer to my doc.. a LOR from a kaiser doc would've been beneficial I bet
I know you're joking, but in all seriousness, I'm not sure how much it would actually help unless the doc was on the adcom. People are mentored by and get LORs from faculty who are affiliated with all sorts of medical schools all the time, but that doesn't make it any easier to get into that particular med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you're joking, but in all seriousness, I'm not sure how much it would actually help unless the doc was on the adcom. People are mentored by and get LORs from faculty who are affiliated with all sorts of medical schools all the time, but that doesn't make it any easier to get into that particular med school.

uhh thats just not true. for example, a LOR from a PI that's close with the dean of the med school at a particular school will carry much more significant weight than some other applicant's PI at some other school. the position of your letter writer matters absolutely, including personal connections. its the same logic behind legacy treatment if you think about it...

uhh thats just not true. for example, a LOR from a PI that's close with the dean of the med school at a particular school will carry much more significant weight than some other applicant's PI at some other school. the position of your letter writer matters absolutely, including personal connections. its the same logic behind legacy treatment if you think about it...
That's true. I should've clarified what I meant better. It all depends on who the person is and who they're connected to. I was more referring to the notion that having just any Joe Schmo doctor from Kaiser as a lec writer would help someone get an interview. When they have connections, it obviously can make a world of difference. It's late at night and I'm off to bed...

Yo you've got 12 IIs! That's awesome, I've only got 2 so far from tmsdas so I'm freaking about amcas schools. Got CA/Tx dual residency.
What in the world is dual residency? I'm from CA, went to college in Texas but had to claim residency from CA cuz TMDSAS hoed me

What in the world is dual residency? I'm from CA, went to college in Texas but had to claim residency from CA cuz TMDSAS hoed me

I think you got screwed over somehow. You should be able to qualify. I worked in Texas for over a year and had established domicile...it seems Tx residents have it super easy they're all applying without taking a single gap year.

Many states prevent you from claiming residency in another state. Not sure if California or Texas do this.

I seem to recall if you claim residency in California, you have to pay state taxes even on money you earned in another state, double taxation. That was from a conversation years ago, and I never had a reason to verify it.

I think you got screwed over somehow. You should be able to qualify. I worked in Texas for over a year and had established domicile...it seems Tx residents have it super easy they're all applying without taking a single gap year.
Ah okay that's the difference. I haven't been in Texas for over a year supporting myself yet. Straight up though TX residents do have it easier. The schools are awesome and at least 90 of matriculants have to be residents by law. Me being Californian screwed me over compared to my peers when we applied last year. Wish the pre-health committee at my college would've told me that little piece of advice.

Ah okay that's the difference. I haven't been in Texas for over a year supporting myself yet. Straight up though TX residents do have it easier. The schools are awesome and at least 90 of matriculants have to be residents by law. Me being Californian screwed me over compared to my peers when we applied last year. Wish the pre-health committee at my college would've told me that little piece of advice.

Keep trying...I am a reapplicant myself after getting screwed over from a bad lor from my PI

I don't think TMDSAS gives residencies to people who attend Texas schools for undergrad. They are quite picky about the 12 months, established domicile thing.

I don't think TMDSAS gives residencies to people who attend Texas schools for undergrad. They are quite picky about the 12 months, established domicile thing.
Haha yes I found that out the hard way. Still kinda salty that my prehealth advisors didn't tell me this in college. I'm staying in Texas though so it'll be gucci.

Does anyone know if their interviews (the traditional part) are closed or open-file?

for the unfavorable outcome, would it make sense to use an experience of an instance that was unfair/discriminatory towards us, or is it more a failure on our own part?
Failure on your part.

Failure on your part.

I talked about my experience with a parents diagnosis with terminal illness. However I wrote about my reaction to it specifically and how I failed to properly come to terms with it. I think it could work to talk about a discriminatory thing happening so long as you briefly describe the circumstances and spend the majority of the time reflecting on your reaction to it and how you would change that reaction.

anyone who has completed an interview already down to share what your experience was like? :)

1) Any recent IIs?

2) Do they put everyone up in a hotel, or just people coming from far away?

Reactions: 1 users
1) Any recent IIs?

2) Do they put everyone up in a hotel, or just people coming from far away?

I got one today. I haven't scheduled yet because they only offered one day that happens to conflict with something at work. It also says alternate dates are only granted for exceptional circumstances...so I'm not sure if consideration for my employer counts.

I got one today. I haven't scheduled yet because they only offered one day that happens to conflict with something at work. It also says alternate dates are only granted for exceptional circumstances...so I'm not sure if consideration for my employer counts.
Congrats! When were you complete? LM? Do they offer everyone the hotel?

They do offer the hotel for everyone (it's a really nice hotel too!)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Is it the HYATT hotel across the street?
It's the Westin Pasadena, just down the road (they also provide a shuttle to take you to the interview the next morning)

It's the Westin Pasadena, just down the road (they also provide a shuttle to take you to the interview the next morning)
Wow that's very nice. When i dropped by in June, they were still under construction. Are they almost done? Will be in Pasadena this weekend so might check it out.

Wow that's very nice. When i dropped by in June, they were still under construction. Are they almost done? Will be in Pasadena this weekend so might check it out.
They won't be done till late winter/spring I believe; we were not given a tour of the facility due to liability concerns but saw a virtual flythrough video of what it will look like when complete.

anyone know how many MMI stations are there or their length?

The caveat is that they’ll only accept them after you’ve already interviewed.

I just got an II today and there is now an option on my portal to upload documents. Do I assume an update via the portal is ok prior to my interview or....?

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an II today and there is now an option on my portal to upload documents. Do I assume an update via the portal is ok prior to my interview or....?

did you get an email informing you of your II?

did you get an email informing you of your II?

Yep. The earliest interview date was October 17th and I clicked a little bit past that and didn't see anything. Snatched the spot up shortly after.

I’d wait if I were you lol let them tell your group that it’s ok and then do it

Congrats! Complete date?

Yep. The earliest interview date was October 17th and I clicked a little bit past that and didn't see anything. Snatched the spot up shortly after.
Congrats!!!

Thank goodness they’re not scheduling January! This gives me hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Complete date?

Verified 6/12, secondary received 6/28, submitted 7/4. Stats are what I guess to be lower mid tier for them—3.85/515.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 212