2020-2021 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Kaiser is going to release the stats of students who were admitted/matriculated this year (since MSAR is from 2 years ago, I think)?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if Kaiser is going to release the stats of students who were admitted/matriculated this year (since MSAR is from 2 years ago, I think)?
i'd like to know this as well. seems like they would be pretty high as a lot of the help me decide threads on here had kaiser paired with high ranking schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd expect them to release a class profile sometime this summer/fall when the first years start

Does anyone know whether Kaiser requires CASPer exam this cycle? I know it was required in last cycle but cannot find Kaiser on the list of medical schools when registering for the test ...

Does anyone know whether Kaiser requires CASPer exam this cycle? I know it was required in last cycle but cannot find Kaiser on the list of medical schools when registering for the test ...

I don’t think they are requiring it this cycle. Kaiser is no longer on the CASPer website, and I can’t find the CASPer requirement on Kaiser’s website anymore either. You could contact admissions to check for sure.

I don’t think they are requiring it this cycle. Kaiser is no longer on the CASPer website, and I can’t find the CASPer requirement on Kaiser’s website anymore either. You could contact admissions to check for sure.
Thanks so much!

Was in an info session with them a few weeks ago. They said they would update MSAR and their website in "early June" once the class is finalized

Reactions: 6 users
I noticed that they state they will require an online Situational Judgement Test, however they aren't one of the 2 schools AAMC mentioned would be piloting their program. I wonder what this means, maybe their own Situational Judgement Test

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that they state they will require an online Situational Judgement Test, however they aren't one of the 2 schools AAMC mentioned would be piloting their program. I wonder what this means, maybe their own Situational Judgement Test

Oh no. If that's the case, they might get dropped off my school list.

Where did you see that?

Did Kaiser yet publicize the stats for their inaugural application process and matriculating class?

Just sent an email to them asking about SJT and stats! Will keep you guys posted

Reactions: 11 users
Just sent an email to them asking about SJT and stats! Will keep you guys posted

Got the most useless response. Does anyone else want to try?

I asked about stats and if the AAMC SJT was required and got this response:
"The CASper test is not required. Statistics will be made available via MSAR soon." :eyebrow:

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
How are people answering the third question from last year's secondaries about intellectual exploration? Should we talk about research or maybe some other hobby we have?

How are people answering the third question from last year's secondaries about intellectual exploration? Should we talk about research or maybe some other hobby we have?

I actually addressed both. For me, a hobby became a job became the subject of my undergraduate research.

my amcas hasnt been verified yet but kaiser sent me an email saying they got my primary app?? im confused

Reactions: 2 users
my amcas hasnt been verified yet but kaiser sent me an email saying they got my primary app?? im confused

I just got the same email even though there's no way my application is getting verified any time soon (submitted 7/4/20), super confused as well?

EDIT: Found this post: Secondaries only after verification?
So it looks like Kaiser opted in for that and sent out the primary received email to be courteous I guess lmao

Last edited:
secondary received!! (not just the notification of primary receipt)

@TheDataKing
  1. During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter many obstacles and be required to overcome many challenges. Resilience is a prerequisite for success in medical school and beyond. Describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome. How did you react, and how might you have responded differently? What did you learn about yourself? (250 words)
  2. Kaiser Permanente is nationally recognized for its achievements in the realm of equity, inclusion, and diversity. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine? (250 words)
  3. Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development in physicians that includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you are passionate about and have sustained over time. What means have you used to explore this area? (250 words)
  4. Please describe how you have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic (Optional)

Reactions: 7 users
Just got secondary as Well

Got the primary email. No secondary yet. I've already typed it though and will submit ASAP!

I'm so happy the prompts are the same--we had no precedent to tell if they would've changed haha

Secondary received... basically 30 minutes after they sent me the email about getting my primary

Happy to help if people have questions. I don't know average stats or competitiveness, but just at a glance, most of the OOS students (most, not all!) hail from top OOS schools. However, I think the class is very diverse! From our limited group interactions, minorities, nontrads, LBTQ, big universities, small liberal arts colleges, and more were well-represented.

Also, the inaugural class size has very recently been updated to 50 students. I am not too surprised at the expansion, but I do not know if the upcoming cycle's class size will be the same. I hope so, as more the merrier!

Last edited:
Do we submit our letters directly to kaiser? my letters of recommendation/app have been processed by amcas but it still says letter of references not received on the secondary portal

Do we submit our letters directly to kaiser? my letters of recommendation/app have been processed by amcas but it still says letter of references not received on the secondary portal
I think they just need to update the system. Mine says the same thing but if you click on the documents tab it has all my letters entered and that page says received.

Do they screen? I received primary notification but no secondary yet. In state.

I read on the website that they don’t screen. I got the primary notification 4+ hours ago and still haven’t gotten a secondary either. I’m also IS.

Does anyone else see "Not recevied" next to Letter of Recommendations under the Status tab. But under the Document Status tabs my letters are all there marked as received.

Does anyone else see "Not recevied" next to Letter of Recommendations under the Status tab. But under the Document Status tabs my letters are all there marked as received.
I see this too!