2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else have trouble getting into their application portal? i'm trying to check my status but it won't let me log in

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I submitted my primary application to Kaiser over a month ago and I still haven’t received a confirmation that they received my primary application. Is it normal to not get a confirmation email that they received your primary application?

My MCAT scores being released one week from today so I’m thinking maybe that’s why I haven’t heard back from them and I know that don’t they don’t send you a secondary application until you have that score in.

Thank you!

Hey guys I submitted my primary application to Kaiser over a month ago and I still haven’t received a confirmation that they received my primary application. Is it normal to not get a confirmation email that they received your primary application?

My MCAT scores being released one week from today so I’m thinking maybe that’s why I haven’t heard back from them and I know that don’t they don’t send you a secondary application until you have that score in.

Thank you!
Yeah, they probably are waiting for your MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
No (reported) IIs in a month? Kind of weird considering the last batch were scheduling interviews up to October 17 and that's like next week...are the admissions team going on vacation after that and unavailable or what?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Maybe they found their inaugural class already so there was no need send out anymore interview

Reactions: 5 users
No (reported) IIs in a month? Kind of weird considering the last batch were scheduling interviews up to October 17 and that's like next week...are the admissions team going on vacation after that and unavailable or what?
I interviewed a few weeks ago and was told that they're interviewing every week until March

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed a few weeks ago and was told that they're interviewing every week until March
Every week?? Dang. How many people were in your interview day? I asked them a few weeks ago via email how many applicants they were anticipating and how many interviews they were looking to give out, and I was told that they weren’t allowed to give out those numbers. But I thought to myself, don’t they have to give out those numbers for MSAR anyways?

Every week?? Dang. How many people were in your interview day? I asked them a few weeks ago via email how many applicants they were anticipating and how many interviews they were looking to give out, and I was told that they weren’t allowed to give out those numbers. But I thought to myself, don’t they have to give out those numbers for MSAR anyways?

Established schools will. New schools have no data from previous cycles to base off of. Last I heard, they were way past their expected number of applications.

Reactions: 2 users
There were 25 people on my day...this school is interviewing into the hundreds which sounds crazy for a 45 something person class

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they mention acceptance rate?
No :( and they repeated multiple times that they wouldn't release any data or numbers. but there were 25 people on my day (which we were told by a coordinator is standard interview day for them-so i'm assuming they're interviewing 25 people every thursday till march...)

No :( and they repeated multiple times that they wouldn't release any data or numbers. but there were 25 people on my day (which we were told by a coordinator is standard interview day for them-so i'm assuming they're interviewing 25 people every thursday till march...)
Wow that’s about 800 interviewees for about 60 spots if they really are interviewing that many

• Wow
isn't it 48 spots?
I thought i remember it saying 60 on MSAR or somewhere but I just checked their website and you’re right!! Wow 500 interviews for 48 spots? I would assume they would only really need to accept ~2 per seat because the free tuition is going to be a huge draw for a ton of people

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys this might seem like a longshot but I’m wondering what’s the lowest MCAT anybody on this thread has applied to Kaiser with. If anybody’s willing to share I would really appreciate it.

Also, what’s the lowest MCAT any of you guys would recommend applying to Kaiser with? Please be realistic and not condescending or pretentious.

Thanks.

Hey guys this might seem like a longshot but I’m wondering what’s the lowest MCAT anybody on this thread has applied to Kaiser with. If anybody’s willing to share I would really appreciate it.

Also, what’s the lowest MCAT any of you guys would recommend applying to Kaiser with? Please be realistic and not condescending or pretentious.

Thanks.
Nobody knows, but I think they are pretty holistic and the app fee is only $50, so you should go for it!

Nobody knows, but I think they are pretty holistic and the app fee is only $50, so you should go for it!

Yeah but even if they're holistic I would imagine the lowest worth applying with would be at least a 505-506.

Thanks.

If your story is really crazy good, and out the water EC's, id say 500 is the low cap. They dont specify a cap but every MD schools low end cap is generally around 500

If your story is really crazy good, and out the water EC's, id say 500 is the low cap. They dont specify a cap but every MD schools low end cap is generally around 500

except this school is also located in california, its a healthcare powerhouse, and theres free tuition, and did i mention its in sunny pasadena?

I think as a new Med school their class size is limited for accreditation reasons...not 100% sure though

At my interview at Kaiser they mentioned that they weren't planning on increasing the class size any time soon. Don't know how accurate that is though! :)

except this school is also located in california, its a healthcare powerhouse, and theres free tuition, and did i mention its in sunny pasadena?
if they wanted a hard cap they wouldve listed one, theyre clearly open to all kinds of people

if they wanted a hard cap they wouldve listed one, theyre clearly open to all kinds of people

this entire conversation is pure conjecture. neither of us are on the admissions committee...

but i will play devil's advocate here and argue the secondary application is a pretty lucrative business. this is also their first cycle so it doesn't make sense to implement a cutoff. think about the comments they'd get for not being accredited yet only allowing top 20-25% MCAT takers to apply to their (currently) nonexistent campus. its in their better interest to first advertise a school for all... i can't think of a single new MD/DO school with cutoffs (the cutoffs generally come years later). this school will most likely be a t-10 within 10 years, however.

this entire conversation is pure conjecture. neither of us are on the admissions committee...

but i will play devil's advocate here and argue the secondary application is a pretty lucrative business. this is also their first cycle so it doesn't make sense to implement a cutoff. think about the comments they'd get for not being accredited yet only allowing top 20-25% MCAT takers to apply to their (currently) nonexistent campus. its in their better interest to first advertise a school for all... i can't think of a single new MD/DO school with cutoffs (the cutoffs generally come years later). this school will most likely be a t-10 within 10 years, however.

Also reflected in how they interview 500+ students for 46 spots. Clearly, they want to test the waters and don't want to isolate any potential applicant who might be a superstar.

Also reflected in how they interview 500+ students for 46 spots. Clearly, they want to test the waters and don't want to isolate any potential applicant who might be a superstar.
They're not being open enough! Where's my II?

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

and people thought post-II NYU acceptance rates were bad...

just goes to show the caliber of this medical school in just its first cycle. it'll be very interesting to see their stats next year

T-10 within 10 years? Can you elaborate on why you think so? Idk much about how rankings are placed so I'm just curious.

T-10 within 10 years? Can you elaborate on why you think so? Idk much about how rankings are placed so I'm just curious.

extensive research opportunities that will likely be further developed in the coming years. location is phenomenal. kaiser is a healthcare giant in california and constantly opening new hospital systems and i dont see why they wouldn't be interested in their own grads because of their unique mission statement. i can see the match list being very impressive.

edit: also take a gander at the administrative faculty they're hiring and the powerhouse schools these people are leaving just to go to a brand-new medical school. some really brilliant minds at work here. anyone would be honored to be trained in an environment like this

Reactions: 3 users

im advertising a 500 low end conjecture here which is not a crazy speculation by any means lol. Im not saying a 515 or a 513 or a 510. 500 is below 50th percentile which i think is a pretty safe bet all things considered (free tuition, location, free tuition, health system, free tuition, research, free tuition). Again life story plays a huge part of getting an II with a score on the lower end of the MD spectrum.

im advertising a 500 low end conjecture here which is not a crazy speculation by any means lol. Im not saying a 515 or a 513 or a 510. 500 is below 50th percentile which i think is a pretty safe bet all things considered (free tuition, location, free tuition, health system, free tuition, research, free tuition). Again life story plays a huge part of getting an II with a score on the lower end of the MD spectrum.

i think you misunderstood. im saying the 500 is a really low number and we'll likely see 10th percentile being at the average of DO schools in CA (i.e., 506-509)

i think you misunderstood. im saying the 500 is a really low number and we'll likely see 10th percentile being at the average of DO schools in CA (i.e., 506-509)
Oh fair then! Yeah totally misunderstood my b!

I do want to add that TCU/UNTHSC has a 3.0/499 MCAT hard cutoff. They matriculated their first class last year tuition free and is definitely in a healthcare hotspot (TX)

Oh fair then! Yeah totally misunderstood my b!

I do want to add that TCU/UNTHSC has a 3.0/499 MCAT hard cutoff. They matriculated their first class last year tuition free and is definitely in a healthcare hotspot (TX)

very interesting for TCU to do that. thanks for sharing; i would've never known.

and no doubt i will agree that this school seems relatively more holistic and transparent with their admissions selection criteria than any other school I've also applied to with a similarly "highly competitive" applicant pool. i'd say if you have a compelling story and application this is probably your best chance at getting into a top US MD school (yes, i know its not ranked... yet)

T10 in ten years is a stretch. Regardless of how much money they're putting into the system, faculty and students they poach from top schools, and new technology they add, I am extremely skeptical. There is no baseline to compare to. No students have matched, let alone taken Step 1. We simply can't predict their rank. But unless free tuition continues past the first 5 years, I can't imagine that it can reach that caliber of school that fast. Of course it is possible- look at Mayo Clinic. The other T10, yet alone T10 schools are much more established and I think it'll take some time, if it does happen.

T10 in ten years is a stretch. Regardless of how much money they're putting into the system, faculty and students they poach from top schools, and new technology they add, I am extremely skeptical. There is no baseline to compare to. No students have matched, let alone taken Step 1. We simply can't predict their rank. But unless free tuition continues past the first 5 years, I can't imagine that it can reach that caliber of school that fast. Of course it is possible- look at Mayo Clinic. The other T10, yet alone T10 schools are much more established and I think it'll take some time, if it does happen.

as a life-long CA resident, kaiser is very much established everywhere throughout this state

i think "ranking" of a medical school is highly subjective. personally, i rank MD schools in terms of prestigious faculty, availability of opportunities to build a competitive application for residencies, location and mission, and funding. in my books, kaiser has it all...

edit: some numbers that are worth running through to really understood the gravity of Kaiser's impact

As of December 31, 2018 Kaiser Permanente had 12.2 million health plan members, 217,415 employees, 22,914 physicians, 59,127 nurses, 39 medical centers, and 690 medical facilities. As of December 31, 2018, the non-profit Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals entities reported a combined $2.5 billion in net income on $79.7 billion in operating revenues

edit 2: some insight on their research and publishing (pre-medical school)

Kaiser operates a Division of Research, which annually conducts between 200 and 300 studies, and the Center for Health Research which in 2009 had more than 300 active studies. Kaiser's bias toward prevention is reflected in the areas of interest—vaccine and genetic studies are prominent. The work is funded primarily by federal, state, and other outside (non-Kaiser) institutions.

Last edited:
as a life-long CA resident, kaiser is very much established everywhere throughout this state

i think "ranking" of a medical school is highly subjective. personally, i rank MD schools in terms of prestigious faculty, availability of opportunities to build a competitive application for residencies, location and mission, and funding. in my books, kaiser has it all...

edit: some numbers that are worth running through to really understood the gravity of Kaiser's impact

As of December 31, 2018 Kaiser Permanente had 12.2 million health plan members, 217,415 employees, 22,914 physicians, 59,127 nurses, 39 medical centers, and 690 medical facilities. As of December 31, 2018, the non-profit Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals entities reported a combined $2.5 billion in net income on $79.7 billion in operating revenues

I’d be willing to bet they’re at least Hofstra level within the next 10 years, maybe higher considering the Kaiser system is like 2.5-3x larger than the Northwell system.

I’d be willing to bet they’re at least Hofstra level within the next 10 years, maybe higher considering the Kaiser system is like 2.5-3x larger than the Northwell system.

call me crazy but i'd definitely pick a kaiser acceptance this cycle over a hofstra one if I were to be accepted to both

Reactions: 5 users
call me crazy but i'd definitely pick a kaiser acceptance this cycle over a hofstra one if I were to be accepted to both

Yeah the perks of free tuition + California will draw in many. Especially when you consider they will in almost near certainty establish themselves as a highly successful school

Free tuition across all four years in a highly desirable area? I think that's a pretty easy choice for me at least.

It is not a big deal to interview 500 candidates for 45-50 spots. They need to admit about 80-100 in the end and no one can assume more than 50% yield for a new school even if it is free, especially when they are interviewing a lot of superstar candidates who might get good money elsewhere.

Reactions: 4 users
It is not a big deal to interview 500 candidates for 45-50 spots. They need to admit about 80-100 in the end and no one can assume more than 50% yield for a new school even if it is free, especially when they are interviewing a lot of superstar candidates who might get good money elsewhere.
This is true. If Kaiser is interviewing a ton of high-stat applicants, it's a pretty good bet a lot of those same applicants are receiving scholarship offers from elsewhere. 80-100 acceptance offers sounds about right.

This is true. If Kaiser is interviewing a ton of high-stat applicants, it's a pretty good bet a lot of those same applicants are receiving scholarship offers from elsewhere.

definitely. i think we'll see more "belief" across the internet on this unicorn of a school after they release their first graduating class match list. its going to be interesting to see how this committee carries out this admissions cycle after 10/15

Sooo if Kaiser really does interview ~25 candidates every Thursday until March... where are all the interview invites! I know SDN is only a small population of the entire MD applicant pool, but I thought we'd see more people posting II. There's only been a few here and there since late Aug/early September :dead:

What would you consider "out the water EC's"?

What would you consider "out the water EC's"?

at one of my interviews, i met a kid who created his own community health initiative in undergrad for underserved first-generation immigrants. to put it lightly, i was mind blown.

at one of my interviews, i met a kid who created his own community health initiative in undergrad for underserved first-generation immigrants. to put it lightly, i was mind blown.

Yeah, I don't have anything like that, or starting a non-profit organization lol. What would you guys say is (This may be a bit emotionally charged and political, I know) the oldest age you should consider pursuing medical school in terms of being practical to have a good return on your investment while having work-life balance and time to start a family?