2019-2020 Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a class of 2024 or incoming 2020 Facebook group? I’d love to start meeting people! :). If not we should get one going.

Members don't see this ad :)
They can cry all they want. Those fleeces are frickin magical.

Btw, is no one going to acknowledge the fact that @limeyguydr is finally an indoor dog? lol
lmfao sometimes you have to escape the snow for a warm spot on the couch by the fireplace, ya know?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have any idea when scholarship and financial aid package will be released for admitted student?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does this school accept updates?

So tomorrow the committee meets and Wednesday decisions (accepted, waitlisted, decide later) will come out correct?

Loved my interview day here and meeting everyone!

Just accepted! OOS, interviewed in mid December

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today, IS! Email around noon and a call about 45 minutes later. Interviewed late October with multiple no decision emails until today

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 4 users
For those who are accepted and have submitted a Certiphi background check already, has anyone had there report completed yet? Mine has taken a number of days at this point, so I was interested to see if anyone else was noticing this.

For those who are accepted and have submitted a Certiphi background check already, has anyone had there report completed yet? Mine has taken a number of days at this point, so I was interested to see if anyone else was noticing this.
i am complete

for those accepted, it looks like pre-orientation is February 15th, excited to get a second look at the school

Did anyone also interview at UK? Sorry, I know this might not be the appropriate place for this, but I tried getting the "school X vs. Y" thread going and it doesn't seem to get much visibility.

Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts. I'm sure I missed a ton of things, but these were my takeaways.

UofL:
- Amazing student culture, very friendly and cohesive. On interview day, got to meet with ~15 students who all gave their input, and the camaraderie between them seemed very genuine.
- Strong emphasis on standardized patient (paid actor) simulations for clinical practice. Starts first year, if I remember correctly.
- Sim lab for student use (UK students stated that their $250,000 mannequins are basically for residents only, or limited access for special interest groups).
- The city of Louisville is a lot more fun. Proper urban city, as opposed to large college town feel. But this one is obviously 100% subjective.

UK:
- Hard to discern student culture. Only met with two students the entire day. They did say each class is very close-knit, but without actually seeing their interactions, difficult to tell.
- Excellent hospital system. #1 in state. Much of it seemed very modern/recently renovated. UofL's tour didn't include a trip through the actual hospital though, so difficult to compare.
- UK has more NIH funding and appears to have more research opportunities
- I've been told repeatedly that board scores are higher at UK, but I don't recall seeing actual numbers during the presentation. (If anyone could point me towards a source, I would appreciate it)

Both:
- P/F classes
- lectures recorded
- 8 wks off for Step 1 prep

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone also interview at UK? Sorry, I know this might not be the appropriate place for this, but I tried getting the "school X vs. Y" thread going and it doesn't seem to get much visibility.

Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts. I'm sure I missed a ton of things, but these were my takeaways.

UofL:
- Amazing student culture, very friendly and cohesive. On interview day, got to meet with ~15 students who all gave their input, and the camaraderie between them seemed very genuine.
- Strong emphasis on standardized patient (paid actor) simulations for clinical practice. Starts first year, if I remember correctly.
- Sim lab that you can actually use (UK students stated that their $250,000 mannequins are basically for residents).
- The city of Louisville is a lot more fun. Proper urban city, as opposed to large college town feel. But this one is obviously 100% subjective.

UK:
- Hard to discern student culture. Only met with two students the entire day. They did say each class is very close-knit, but without actually seeing their interactions, difficult to tell.
- Excellent hospital system. #1 in state. Much of it seemed very modern/recently renovated. UofL's tour didn't include a trip through the actual hospital though, so difficult to compare.
- UK appears to have more research opportunities and funding
- I've been told repeatedly that board scores are higher at UK, but I don't recall seeing actual numbers during the presentation. (If anyone could point me towards a source, I would appreciate it)

Both:
- P/F classes
- lectures recorded

You are going to find friendly and unfriendly people at either place. I know people at both schools and the friendlier people I know go to UK so its a wash.

Both places have level 1 trauma centers. UofL is somewhere like the 10th oldest med school in the country, so renovating to look modern is difficult and realistically a waste of money.

Board scores are irrelevant as a comparison given that they are heavily dependent on the individual. However you use it as a population comparison between school A and B, but I don't see how that influences your decision on where to attend.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

At this point, they seem neck and neck. The decision comes down to which is cheaper (after scholarships, grants, etc.)

Speaking of scholarships and grants, how do they work at this school? Have they been dispensed already or are they all given on Feb 15th?

i would much rather live in Louisville than lexington, having grown up in Louisville and graduated from UK myself

Speaking of scholarships and grants, how do they work at this school? Have they been dispensed already or are they all given on Feb 15th?
I was emailed at the beginning of January and offered a scholarship

On the student portal it states we will received an Apple laptop during orientation. Can anyone confirm this? I don't remember it being discussed during interview day

Reactions: 1 users
On the student portal it states we will received an Apple laptop during orientation. Can anyone confirm this? I don't remember it being discussed during interview day
Yes, you will. Mandatory too, can't opt out :/

Waitlisted today too. Interviewed 1/7. OOS. Not surprised though since they told us on interview day we would most likely be put on the waitlist since it’s later in the cycle. :/

But they do take a good number off the waitlist.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted today too. Interviewed 1/7. OOS. Not surprised though since they told us on interview day we would most likely be put on the waitlist since it’s later in the cycle. :/

But they do take a good number off the waitlist.
yea when I interviewed the class was already full

just got an email saying scholarships have been sent