2019-2020 Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For those wondering about the wait list, I know last year the initial wave of wait list acceptances on 4/30 had 18 people. They probably took a few more after that though.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-II R. OOS so it was a long-shot I guess haha

FB group for Class of 2024 has been created

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about housing or have any recommendations? My girlfriend and I are currently trying to make some decisions about where we should live. She will be working at one of the hospitals downtown so walking distance would be great but would you guys recommend something further away?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything about housing or have any recommendations? My girlfriend and I are currently trying to make some decisions about where we should live. She will be working at one of the hospitals downtown so walking distance would be great but would you guys recommend something further away?
There's a list of some housing options on the blackboard website (I have tried to link it below) But if you are looking for a room in a house I am looking to rent out 2 rooms in a house in Shelby park (10 minute bike to HSC)

Attachments

• HOUSING LIST 18(1).pdf
    287.2 KB · Views: 96
If you and your girlfriend are looking for a small house, there are tons of great shotgun houses in the Germantown/Schnitzelburg/Shelby Park area. Based on the students I talked to, most seem to live in that area. For reference, I browsed through those neighborhoods on Zillow and Trulia, toured a few, and eventually settled on a 2bd in Schnitzelburg for ~$1000 (~8min drive to HSC).

In that same area, there's also the Bradford Mill Lofts and Germantown Mill Lofts, if you're looking for more of an apartment building setup. I toured both and they looked very nice. Cool industrial vibe.

Most people I talked to didn't recommend living in the area immediately surrounding the HSC.

Please no judgement, this is merely an inquiry,
Do we have to complete any type of drug testing before matriculation?

Are we able to defer our undergrad student loans while in med school?

Yeah, you can put it in "in-school deferment". But you'll probably have to call your loan service provider to have it switched

I just withdrew my acceptance! OOS. hope it goes to one of you WL peeps!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone instate managed to nab a scholarship of any sort? Just curious.

Does anybody know what the odds of being accepted off the OOS wait list are?

Does anybody know what the odds of being accepted off the OOS wait list are?
I think it depends on a number of factors. I was on the WL last year and didn't get accepted but I had only interviewed in January. I would say the earlier you interviewed the better your chances are. I'll also say that they kept people on the WL up until the first day of orientation.

Does this link concern anyone? Especially the left column. I remember at interview day also I was really surprised to a Step 1 score this low.

Withdrew my A, best of luck!

W. Interviewed on January. Can someone update if they hear back from being waitlist? Thank you!

W. Interviewed on January. Can someone update if they hear back from being waitlist? Thank you!

I don’t think the waitlist will know anything until 5/1. Bit will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something about the combination of Louisville being put on probation twice and the low board scores (below the national average) is worrying to me. Students seemed very nice and happy, but this is a little worrying not gonna lie (especially for OOS students paying that $$$)

Something about the combination of Louisville being put on probation twice and the low board scores (below the national average) is worrying to me. Students seemed very nice and happy, but this is a little worrying not gonna lie (especially for OOS students paying that $$$)
Well Step 1 is P/F now and if you have an issue with the school please go to another school. This is some people's dream school and your negativity is not appreciated. Thank you for your unsolicited opinions, but we do not require them anymore :)

Well Step 1 is P/F now and if you have an issue with the school please go to another school. This is some people's dream school and your negativity is not appreciated. Thank you for your unsolicited opinions, but we do not require them anymore :)
He raises valid concerns. No need to brush them away because of "negativity". Also P/F isn't a for sure thing.

@cocoforcoconuts I can't speak to the probation stuff because I am unaware of the reasoning. I know that the undergrad was put on probation but to my knowledge the medical school wasn't as the undergrad and med school have separate accreditations.
EDIT: University of Louisville Medical School Put on Accreditation Probation | 89.3 WFPL News Louisville found where it said the medical school was on probation a few years back. You can read the reasons here.

I don't think looking at a school's average Step 1 score is all that important because a lot of it is self selection. You find that the same schools with high MCAT scores also have high Step 1 scores because the schools select for higher caliber students. Step 1 is more or less an individual's ability/work ethic so I wouldn't put much weight into what a school's average is.

I hope this helped, so you can make the best decision for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Coco could be your classmate for the next 4 years, be nice :)

Check the match list, it should put your worries at ease. It seems there is a good mix of primary care (I assume lower step 1 scores) and competitive specialties (like derm). The score average is low, but there are some outliers scoring high and matching into whatever they please. In other words, the school's current rank is not a hindrance to matching.

Any idea if it's possible to find out/determine what your rank is on the list?
Most schools are confidential with rankings if present. Consider giving the school a call tomorrow. Jennifer Coffey is who I would call, but do your due diligence. Good luck!

Please tell me I’m not the only one nervous for this week??

Being as April 30 is on Thursday, most list movement wont be till probably next week wont it?

You’re probably right, but the email said that they planned to send out the first round of notifications this Friday