2019-2020 Minnesota, Twin Cities

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received the secondary now. Also the third supplemental question has an error, and should be 200-300 characters (says 4000 characters). Emailed the assistant director to clarify as instructions say all questions are 200-300 char, and she said they wanted to keep them short and this was in error.

oh wow, I just got mine (MD/PhD) too and was worried about the same thing. Thanks so much for clarifying that!
 
Nope, first interview last year was August 16th I believe, so don't be worried yet! I was talking with a current M2 yesterday and she said that she didn't interview until late October and got in, so I wouldn't be too worried if the first round comes and goes and you haven't gotten an invite (or at least that's what I tell myself)!

I also did not interview until later and was accepted! So keep your heads up!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it still worth it to send in the secondary? I am past the 2 week mark that they "strongly recommend", so not sure how I feel about it. WI resident.
 
I've been in contact with the admissions coordinator for various reasons and they said that they're using a new back end system. They pushed the first batch of complete applications to reviewers on the 12th. Each reviewer has 1 week to review the assigned applications. Every application will go to 2 reviewers, and if they disagree, it goes to a 3rd reviewer. So, hypothetically if your application was submitted before July 25th, you should hopefully getting some kind of response next week.
 
Did July 25th have importance?
That's really just my estimate. I had my application complete on the 22nd and they said that mine should be among the first batch that would be pushed out to reviewers. It's kind of dependent on both the completion date and the volume of applications coming in.
 
That's really just my estimate. I had my application complete on the 22nd and they said that mine should be among the first batch that would be pushed out to reviewers. It's kind of dependent on both the completion date and the volume of applications coming in.

I would imagine IS applications are also pushed to the top of the pile and prioritized. At least that's what I've heard from previous applicants.
 
That's really just my estimate. I had my application complete on the 22nd and they said that mine should be among the first batch that would be pushed out to reviewers. It's kind of dependent on both the completion date and the volume of applications coming in.


They also stratify based on state of residence, cGPA/sGPA, and MCAT so if you submitted early as OOS that might hold it up a bit as well. I do appreciate though how open the U is about their review process - more open than any other school I'm aware of.
 
They also stratify based on state of residence, cGPA/sGPA, and MCAT so if you submitted early as OOS that might hold it up a bit as well. I do appreciate though how open the U is about their review process - more open than any other school I'm aware of.
High stat OOS would then be pushed to the top and then back down?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
High stat OOS would then be pushed to the top and then back down?

Not completely sure. I would imagine they would probably make like 4 piles - IS/high MCAT/good GPA, IS/Lower MCAT/lower GPA - and then the same for OOS but hell if I know lol.
 
I would imagine IS applications are also pushed to the top of the pile and prioritized. At least that's what I've heard from previous applicants.
They also said that they're determining residency by looking at the state of residency listed on your AMCAS and your answer to the secondary question about "why Minnesota?".
 
Interviewed at Duluth last cycle, but got a soft R since I don't fit their mission (not from a small town, not interested in family med, etc). UMTC outright rejected me in the first wave though

Your numbers look pretty good. Any thoughts on why UMTC took a pass on you last time? Are your EC's, shadowing, volunteering decent?
 
Does anyone know if they screen for deciding to send out the secondary, and if so, is there is any kind of cut score?
 
You may want some objective feedback on your essays?
Yep, that was another thing I worked on, I had several reviewers this time. The admissions team was really nice and helpful with feedback, I would definitely recommend talking to them for any clarification! They're really open
 
I would be shocked if 3.6 is the cutoff GPA considering I know a current student there who got in with low 3's. It would more likely be around 2.75-3.0
I'm pretty sure it's 3.0 as my cGPA is hovering around 3.1 when my undergrad and post-bacc are taken together. My post-bacc GPA is 3.76, but AMCAS takes both into account on the primary that they base the screening on.
 
I would be shocked if 3.6 is the cutoff GPA considering I know a current student there who got in with low 3's. It would more likely be around 2.75-3.0
I said it was a guess for GPA cause I couldn't remember. Cause mine is well above for GPA just not for MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad