2019-2020 Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I somehow found the "holistic review" from Northwestern extremely hilarious

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone still not receive a secondary?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also in "holistic review", submitted a few days ago!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m in non-holistic review which means they’re gonna throw my app in the trash.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
What is the holistic review process? Is it for secondary or a II?

I'm still not even checked, just says "application complete"...

Don't know if this is a good sign or not. Stat's are low but URM here so..

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be appropriate to check the single-parent household if my father lived on the property but was physically secluded and I was financially supported entirely by my mother?

Oh hey, I am in holistic review as well. Nifty. Didn’t think anything happened on weekends. Guess I gotta go check the other 15 pages now. SMH.
Sooo MemeLord... Did you submit the Stanford secondary or waiting for the Knight Hennessey before submitting? I don't feel like waiting to October.....

Sooo MemeLord... Did you submit the Stanford secondary or waiting for the Knight Hennessey before submitting? I don't feel like waiting to October.....
Gonna look in to finalizing KH on Monday. Got a lot of good feedback on it.

Gonna look in to finalizing KH on Monday. Got a lot of good feedback on it.
Don't you need to follow your school's nomination process or whatever? I thought we had to. Otherwise I'm ready to submit both as well!

Received a Northwestern secondary this past week - will probably get to it tomorrow. I have a good enough MCAT score/am URM and received a fee-waiver email from UChicago... is it worth it waiting for one potentially from Northwestern, or should I bite the bullet and pay?

Parental salary is too high for FAP, not that it matters since I'm paying my own way through this application process.

Reactions: 1 user
Received a Northwestern secondary this past week - will probably get to it tomorrow. I have a good enough MCAT score/am URM and received a fee-waiver email from UChicago... is it worth it waiting for one potentially from Northwestern, or should I bite the bullet and pay?

Parental salary is too high for FAP, not that it matters since I'm paying my own way through this application process.
That is a cost/benefit analysis you’ve gotta do yourself. Another week or two probably won’t hurt, but once other people are getting interviews, I would be too nervous and would bite the bullet
Don't you need to follow your school's nomination process or whatever? I thought we had to. Otherwise I'm ready to submit both as well!
What nomination process? KH is just hop on and submit.

That is a cost/benefit analysis you’ve gotta do yourself. Another week or two probably won’t hurt, but once other people are getting interviews, I would be too nervous and would bite the bullet

What nomination process? KH is just hop on and submit.
It seems that you are correct. Ya know, like the nomination for a Rhodes or Marshall? Do you have your additional two rec letters ready? I don't think KH sends acceptances on a rolling basis, so no advantage in applying early on their side.

Agree that waiting a bit in the meantime is fine.

It seems that you are correct. Ya know, like the nomination for a Rhodes or Marshall? Do you have your additional two rec letters ready? I don't think KH sends acceptances on a rolling basis, so no advantage in applying early on their side.
Advantage is for the Stanford side. KH is a long shot. And yah, I have informed my letter writers to expect something and given them all of the prompts/details of the scholarship etc. KH doesn’t send out the letter writer emails until you submit but they need to be in by October as well.

Advantage is for the Stanford side. KH is a long shot. And yah, I have informed my letter writers to expect something and given them all of the prompts/details of the scholarship etc. KH doesn’t send out the letter writer emails until you submit but they need to be in by October as well.
Agreed. Though, at least for me, I think getting a KH is easier than the 10 MSTP Stanford spots.....

+3

@PapaGuava

Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution, and how Feinberg School of Medicine will help you achieve your professional goals. (200 words)
Describe the steps you take to manage your personal stress when confronted with difficult situations. (200 words)
Feinberg's mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education. With consideration of FSM's goal to train future leaders in medicine, please describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow. (200 words)
(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 words)

The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population. Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 words)

Afterwards is a spectrum of checkboxes about diversity.
So only the LAST question is changed from last year but the others are all the same? Just want to clarify!

So only the LAST question is changed from last year but the others are all the same? Just want to clarify!

The questions, I surmise, didn't substantively change from last year. There is still a collection of checkboxes re: diversity.

Lol just got an email duplicate of the letter they sent like two weeks ago. Hopes up and crushed in the span of 5 seconds :shifty:

Reactions: 2 users
For the question about "interrupted training," are you including upcoming plans for this year only, or activities for all years between college and starting med school?

Full question: "If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. (Limit your response to 200 words)"

Thanks! I am a non-traditional student. Some questions are only looking for 2019-2020 plans and others are more encompassing.
I believe for most GAO year questions it is safe to answer for all of your gap years after college.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone received the MSTP secondary? Are the prompts the same as last year?

I got an email saying "We have received your supplemental application and fee...", but the "Supplemental received" checkbox is still blank on my status page. I see someone else had this problem a couple weeks ago. Does it usually take some time for the school to actually receive the secondary?

I got an email saying "We have received your supplemental application and fee...", but the "Supplemental received" checkbox is still blank on my status page. I see someone else had this problem a couple weeks ago. Does it usually take some time for the school to actually receive the secondary?
They will update it on Mondays (per the website “We only download documents on Monday’s”)

Took a few days for mine to update.

Received my app on the 5th and will probably submit today or tomorrow.. almost at 2 weeks "deadline". I feel like I committed a sin given my interest in Feinberg, lol

Received my app on the 5th and will probably submit today or tomorrow.. almost at 2 weeks "deadline". I feel like I committed a sin given my interest in Feinberg, lol
Nah, bro you are good. All of the early submitters (myself included) just prefer instant gratification as opposed to refinement. You are ahead of the curve, we are the types that usually get broken by this cycle. Keep on keeping on, dude(ette)!

Haha thanks, man, we all in this. Already two interviews for you, so not at breaking point yet!!

Nah, bro you are good. All of the early submitters (myself included) just prefer instant gratification as opposed to refinement. You are ahead of the curve, we are the types that usually get broken by this cycle. Keep on keeping on, dude(ette)!

It's still early, I highly doubt it matters.

It's still early, I highly doubt it matters.
Submitted it today, though I had a pretty big technical mistake - my first essay saved wrongly from my third essay, so I sent them an email if I can address this issue after submitting my secondaries. Yikes

Submitted it today, though I had a pretty big technical mistake - my first essay saved wrongly from my third essay, so I sent them an email if I can address this issue after submitting my secondaries. Yikes

Let us know if they let you fix it (just curious)

Let us know if they let you fix it (just curious)
They basically said I can't edit the actual secondaries once they are submitted, but they allowed me to send them a pdf/email with the correction. Very nice of them to do... whew.