2019-2020 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what my chances are at this point? Was put on HPWL on 01/03 and interviewed 11/13.
It's best if you call admissions maybe they would be able to give you a sense. It would be impossible for us to tell every year is different. People are taken off the list until before the first day of school. They are probably still processing March interview people so the list isn't finalized yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advise on how I should word asking them this? The last time I called I asked for an "update on my application status" and she seemed a tad annoyed and was like "you will get a phone call or email, no need to call us". I'm just looking for some information on what my chances are.
She was annoyed last time I called too and someone else here said the same. I found that if you ask a direct question they are less annoyed. It's only because it's that time of the yr where they are probably getting the same call every 2 mins. Just say my name is .... My AACOMS ID number is ..... I'm on the wl and I would like to know if the school started to pull from the HPWL or like idk. Just ask something directly. I really don't think they will say what your chances are so it's better to ask something that they may be willing to answer.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted and welcome to the RowanSOM family! I am a current MS4 at RowanSOM and will be glad to answer any questions about the school. Feel free to DM me.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to all who have been accepted and welcome to the RowanSOM family! I am a current MS4 at RowanSOM and will be glad to answer any questions about the school. Feel free to DM me.
What are the chances of getting off the HPWL if I was placed on it in early March?

Thanks for doing this! They mentioned that during year 3-4 clerkships they try and allow you to pick the sites closest to where you come from in NJ. Do most people usually get their first or second choice or rotation site?

What are the chances of getting off the HPWL if I was placed on it in early March?

And the regular waitlist chances lol

I'm not sure to the answer of that question as I'm sure it varies every year, but to give you guys some hope, my class had a student that was accepted the day before medical school actually started, so it definitely is possible and probably high chance to get off the HPWL. I know it is anxiety provoking to not know, but hang in there!

I don't have the inner workings of the selection committee, and everything is super hectic because of the covid-19 right now. However, I would not be losing hope. All I can say is that sometimes if you can get in touch with the right people and express your interest, they might sway in your favor. This is probably true in also residency.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this! They mentioned that during year 3-4 clerkships they try and allow you to pick the sites closest to where you come from in NJ. Do most people usually get their first or second choice or rotation site?

In our class, almost every student student got within their top 3 choices with the majority getting number 1 or 2, and only 3-4 students didn't get their top 3 but got their fourth. However, I would have to say Morristown would be the hardest to get into, as the majority of the class put it as their number 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Quick q. Would anyone choose an OOS MD school with higher tuition or an in-state DO school?
Anyone know how the merger will affect DOs compared to MDs?

Thank you.

As a graduating MS4 from RowanSOM and matching, I would say that it depends on the tuition difference and what your career goals are and which MD school you got into. If you’re looking to do primary care then definitely RowanSOM would be a better choice as it would save you money. If you’re looking to do specialties such as derm, IR, ENT, or getting in top-tier academic institutions, etc, it would be easier to do so from an established MD school.

If you’re comparing a newish MD program to an established DO program, I would compare their match lists and see which one you favor more of and decide from there.

Also, an another note, having support is important, regardless if you get it from family/friends or your significant other. Medical school is no cake walk no matter which one you go to, and also factor that into your decision.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear back from interviewing on 2/18? I know they were supposed to meet last Friday, but I do not know if they discussed the applicants that interviewed on that date. Anxiously waiting for an update.

Thank you so much for doing this! What are your overall thoughts on this year's match for Rowan SOM?

Honestly, I think our class had one of the best matches ever in RowanSOM history. My class had one who matched into NYP Columbia and Cornell for EM and another who matched into Cleveland Clinic Foundation for IM. We also have one person going to Yale for child neuro and Columbia for path. We also have a lot going into academic places in peds, IM, rads, IR, and GAS. For FM, we have quite a few impressive academic places. I made a partial match list in the DO match list thread if you guys are curious. It isn't a complete list, as it is only based on what I've seen on Facebook.

Overall, I am extremely happy for our class and believe it'll only get better as each year progresses.

Do you recommend doing pre-matric? Also, do you think it really helps and did you notice a difference in overall performance between those who did it and didn’t?

Do you recommend doing pre-matric? Also, do you think it really helps and did you notice a difference in overall performance between those who did it and didn’t?

Personally, I did prematric and I also ended up being a TA for the prematric program the year after. It did indeed help in trying to get students used to studying before medical school started and the material was repeated again for the first month or two of actual med school so it definitely gave some leg up over students who didn't because the prematric students have seen some of the material already. I would highly recommend it especially for students who have not been in class for a couple of years.

I also have to say that prematric also gave a chance for students to meet and form groups of friends early on because it wasn't as intense as when medical school started.

Reactions: 2 users
As a graduating MS4 from RowanSOM and matching, I would say that it depends on the tuition difference and what your career goals are and which MD school you got into. If you’re looking to do primary care then definitely RowanSOM would be a better choice as it would save you money. If you’re looking to do specialties such as derm, IR, ENT, or getting in top-tier academic institutions, etc, it would be easier to do so from an established MD school.

If you’re comparing a newish MD program to an established DO program, I would compare their match lists and see which one you favor more of and decide from there.

Also, an another note, having support is important, regardless if you get it from family/friends or your significant other. Medical school is no cake walk no matter which one you go to, and also factor that into your decision.

Thank you so much for responding, I will definitely look into it more and have not made a final decision yet. I don't really care about the initials either but want to go to the best school as possible.

Can I ask you a question about the scores on step1/comlex for Rowan SOM? Does the curriculum prepare you well for boards? Do the Rowan students generally perform well on these exams? How was your personal experience at Rowan SOM, was the faculty helpful, etc?

Again I appreciate you taking the time out to help prospective students, it means a lot!

Thank you so much for responding, I will definitely look into it more and have not made a final decision yet. I don't really care about the initials either but want to go to the best school as possible.

Can I ask you a question about the scores on step1/comlex for Rowan SOM? Does the curriculum prepare you well for boards? Do the Rowan students generally perform well on these exams? How was your personal experience at Rowan SOM, was the faculty helpful, etc?

Again I appreciate you taking the time out to help prospective students, it means a lot!

I believe RowanSOM's curriculum at least for the first year, the fundamentals, is excellent and I would not change it for anything. It gave us a great background and understanding of the basics required for clinical medicine. Second year, however, as I'm sure in any other school, is a very stressful year because boards are happening and some of the required classes are not geared towards boards. That being said, this is true of most medical schools from what I've heard from other students. I have heard that the curriculum has changed and it is for the better now. Our classes used to be graded on a scale system, but now it is just P/F for preclinical years. The faculty is supportive and listens to students, especially the deans. Again, there are always grievances because medical school is stress provoking, and you'll find students, myself included, who will complain about their own medical school. However, now that I am done and looking back, I don't think I would have wanted to go anywhere else. I have siblings in other MD medical schools and they sound like they had a worse experience than I did.

Given that Step 1 is now pass/fail, I would not have as much worry about second year now as much compared to previous years. You really just have to worry about COMLEX Level 1 since it is still scored.

Our school I have to say prepares us really well for OMM and definitely the PE, as our averages are above the national average for DO's for recent years.
Our average COMLEX board scores are pretty much similar to the national average (maybe better by a couple of points) which to me is pretty nonsignficant.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Anyone hear back from interviewing on 2/18? I know they were supposed to meet last Friday, but I do not know if they discussed the applicants that interviewed on that date. Anxiously waiting for an update.
I've heard back and I interviewed on 2/25

Has there been any talk about delaying the incoming class start date, or even the pre-matric program?

Has there been any talk about delaying the incoming class start date, or even the pre-matric program?

Got an email the other day, the pre-matric program is still on campus as planned and everything is scheduled to be the same. If they will delay or change anything, they will send an email

I've heard back and I interviewed on 2/25

When and how did you hear back? I called them about a week ago and they said I should hear back this week from my interview date. I have been waiting for an email, phone call, or update through their portal and I have not seen one yet.

Personally, I did prematric and I also ended up being a TA for the prematric program the year after. It did indeed help in trying to get students used to studying before medical school started and the material was repeated again for the first month or two of actual med school so it definitely gave some leg up over students who didn't because the prematric students have seen some of the material already. I would highly recommend it especially for students who have not been in class for a couple of years.

I also have to say that prematric also gave a chance for students to meet and form groups of friends early on because it wasn't as intense as when medical school started.
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

When and how did you hear back? I called them about a week ago and they said I should hear back this week from my interview date. I have been waiting for an email, phone call, or update through their portal and I have not seen one yet.
I heard back on 3/10 which was a lot earlier than expected and I received an email that I had an update on my portal and it was under "Upload Files"

I was put on the alternate list, which I was told was the regular waitlist. I was told today that I am on the upper end of the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone knows the chances that I could be pulled off the waitlist after Rowan goes through the HPWL?

I just got the call that I have been accepted off the HPWL! Interviewed in mid-December and got placed on the waitlist in late January. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back

Reactions: 7 users
I was put on the alternate list, which I was told was the regular waitlist. I was told today that I am on the upper end of the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone knows the chances that I could be pulled off the waitlist after Rowan goes through the HPWL?
I am also on alternate list. When did you receive notice that you were put on the waitlist?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the same position and wondering the same thing

Guys I am also on the regular waitlist and was emailed a paper saying I am on the waitlist. Here is what I gathered from many people. I asked admissions and they said some years they have reached the regular waitlist and some years they did not. I was told that If I was going to be taken off the list it would be more towards June/July. I was also told that I am ranked high on the regular waitlist. I was interviewed 12/7 and placed 12/23 on the list.. Also, admissions told me that the HPWL isn't that long others told me it was long. I keep getting mixed signals. So we can only hope for the best and prepare for the worst. But I can not hide my excitement that people are now coming off at least one of the waitlists!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted HPWL! Interviewed 12/4.

Congrats!!! How were you notified?
They called me on thursday, i missed the call, they left a message and i dont usually check my voicemail. I happened to check it tonight and was like damn wtf thats lit!

Anyone required to do pre-matric? What does this mean? Do they think i need extra time to learn the material before school starts? :/

Anyone required to do pre-matric? What does this mean? Do they think i need extra time to learn the material before school starts? :/

Read my post below. I was also required to do pre-matric because I was out of school for a long time before medical school. I personally think IMO the pre-matric students did better on average than the rest of the class in terms of the match. Of course the averages are not super significant but I’ve noticed a greater number of them proportionally matching into more competitive places. N=1 for my year.

Being required to do pre-matric does not mean they think you need extra time to learn the material. They just want you to get a taste of medical school before actually starting so you know what you’re getting yourself into. The grades don’t count, and are not part of your transcript.

Last edited:
does anyone know how long the HPWL is? I was told I was near the middle of the list but I want to know the middle of like 25 or 100?

I am also on the HPWL which makes me think it's pretty long. I interviewed on January 22nd and haven't heard a word since being place on HPWL some time in Feb.

Got that A. Was on the HPWL since interviewing in Nov. I've already committed to another school so I shall be withdrawing. ;) good luck yalls

Got that A. Was on the HPWL since interviewing in Nov. I've already committed to another school so I shall be withdrawing. ;) good luck yalls
Good luck to you! When did you hear back from Rowan?

Good luck to you! When did you hear back from Rowan?
I got the A call few days ago feom Rowan. I was on the HPWL since Dec post interview. But since that time I already got an A from a different school higher on my priority list.