2019-2020 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know where we can talk to other incoming students to look for roommates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Any current students or anyone in general can comment on whether commuting or living on campus is more advisable? I have the option of living with a s/o but need to commute 40-55 minutes (with traffic) or should I get an apt near campus? Pros/cons with each and I'm pretty 50-50 at the moment

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

Any current students or anyone in general can comment on whether commuting or living on campus is more advisable? I have the option of living with a s/o but need to commute 40-55 minutes (with traffic) or should I get an apt near campus? Pros/cons with each and I'm pretty 50-50 at the moment
Hi everyone. Am in the same boat as well and my commute is about 30 minutes. Would definitely like some advise.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I heard from current students. All classes are recorded and they don't take attendance. You would only need to show up from OMM days and for tests.

I’m in the same boat as you. I’m living with my so 45 min away from campus and an hour+ away from where they’d need to be. I’m actually moving soon and settling in. Obviously commuting is difficult but I think having someone to come home to who will help with cooking and cleaning and paying the bills will be a huge benefit.
that's def a good point, thanks for your comment

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

That’s really tough! I’m an incoming student too, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if you do choose to live 40-55 minutes away with traffic that’s almost 2 hours of lost study time (or workout time or eating time) every time you make the commute. You could use the time to listen to a podcast or relisten to the lectures though, so it wouldn’t be completely wasted.

Is there any way your s/o would move with you?

EDIT: I do want to add that if it’s better for your overall mental health and happiness then it might be worth it to lose the 2 hours every once and a while.

Last edited:
That’s really tough! I’m an incoming student too, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if you do choose to live 40-55 minutes away with traffic that’s almost 2 hours of lost study time (or workout time or eating time) every time you make the commute. You could use the time to listen to a podcast or relisten to the lectures though, so it wouldn’t be completely wasted.

Is there any way your s/o would move with you?

EDIT: I do want to add that if it’s better for your overall mental health and happiness then it might be worth it to lose the 2 hours every once and a while.

This is actually more of a compromise for my s/o than me. We're living 30 mins from campus but on google it notes up to 50 mins due to traffic. My s/o's commute is 1 hour and 30 mins from the place we're looking at. I'd feel pretty bad to ask to move even closer than that

This is actually more of a compromise for my s/o than me. We're living 30 mins from campus but on google it notes up to 50 mins due to traffic. My s/o's commute is 1 hour and 30 mins from the place we're looking at. I'd feel pretty bad to ask to move even closer than that

I’m in the same boat as you! My commute would be more like 38 min including traffic and theirs would be 1 hr and 15 min. I’m also a morning person regardless of how late I stay up so id have no issues leaving the house early enough to beat traffic and kill time doing work on campus.

It’s definitely going to be more challenging than living closer but if you think it’s better for you to make that sacrifice by commuting go for it. I have a few friends who all live near the campus they attend (in different states) and they know a small group of people who commute to class and they say it can be challenging but everyone is in good standing.

I’m in the same boat as you! My commute would be more like 38 min including traffic and theirs would be 1 hr and 15 min. I’m also a morning person regardless of how late I stay up so id have no issues leaving the house early enough to beat traffic and kill time doing work on campus.

It’s definitely going to be more challenging than living closer but if you think it’s better for you to make that sacrifice by commuting go for it. I have a few friends who all live near the campus they attend (in different states) and they know a small group of people who commute to class and they say it can be challenging but everyone is in good standing.

Haha! Glad to see other people in the same position making it work. I'm also a morning person so I'll be doing the same as you, thank you for your comment :)

Oh, gotcha! 30 minutes isn’t that terrible. If you need to be on campus by 8 am and you live 30 minutes away, if you leave your house around 6:45- 6:50 am, you’d likely beat the traffic that would cause it to go up to 50 minutes.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys checkout the new Rowan simulation center opening this upcoming year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if anyone can answer really but what do you think the chances of someone getting off of the alternate list are? I heard there's 3 lists and alternate is the last one they choose from but I also heard there's only 2 lists? Not really sure haha would love some insight

There is only 2 lists: high priority and regulate aka alternative list! Confirmed by the associate Dean. I was told that every year is different Some years they didnt get through high priority and some years they made it to the regular WL.

Accepted HPWL, got a call from Dean Watkins, interviewed 12/14.

Anyone know of good places to look for housing nearby? TYAI

Accepted! Interviewed 11/13, HPWLed 01/03. See you all (in-person or on Zoom) in July!

does anyone know anything about their immunization requirements? I have an appointment to see my PCP this week for another school before I heard back from here, should I go ahead and get the titers or reschedule and wait to see what RowanSOM requires?

EDIT: they emailed me the requirements.

Last edited:
Do you guys think the white coat ceremony will be cancelled due to COVID?

Withdrew acceptance. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know anything about their immunization requirements? I have an appointment to see my PCP this week for another school before I heard back from here, should I go ahead and get the titers or reschedule and wait to see what RowanSOM requires?

EDIT: they emailed me the requirements.
Do you mind posting the requirements here?

it seems as if Rowan really sends out A's on Mondays and Fridays with few exceptions, am I right on that assumption?

it seems as if Rowan really sends out A's on Mondays and Fridays with few exceptions, am I right on that assumption?
Yes I think that is the trend. Since they meet the 1st and 3rd Friday of every month They probably send out As those Fridays and Mondays.

Will be withdrawing soon. Hope it goes to one of y'all! Best of luck to everyone.

hoping one of us hears something today or monday! keep us all posted :)

I interviewed beginning of January, and still on the HPWL. I thought they go by interview date but I guess not
yea I heard it was done chronologically for the HPWL. not sure if its the same for the regular waitlist. I'm really hoping the hpwl is super short this year.

yea I heard it was done chronologically for the HPWL. not sure if its the same for the regular waitlist. I'm really hoping the hpwl is super short this year.
I was told interview day is just a factor . and yes they told me it is also a factor for the regular waitlist. So happy to hear about movement!

Has anyone called admissions recently? Thinking of calling and getting an update on the HPWL. interviewed end of jan and wanted to know how my chances are looking given its already may. does anyone know how much movement they are expecting to see this month and next?

Has anyone called admissions recently? Thinking of calling and getting an update on the HPWL. interviewed end of jan and wanted to know how my chances are looking given its already may. does anyone know how much movement they are expecting to see this month and next?

I called about a week ago and they said that there’s been a lot of movement and that they are expecting more I think. If you call let us know what they say!

Officially withdrew today! I was also awarded a 10k scholarship so I hope this helps someone else! good luck everyone!