2019-2020 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see. Well, some people do an SPM or post bac for this purpose. It does seem pricey...
I wonder if this is a new program. Tufts obviously has the MBS program which does not have an official linkage or guarantee. Not thrilled that they’re opening yet another backdoor entrance...

Members don't see this ad.

Its probably a bridge program where if you maintain a certain gpa and hit a certain MCAT score they guarantee you an interview.
That's what I thought too, but from talking to them during interview day, almost non of them had taken the mcat yet. Maybe that's true for an acceptance who knows

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That's what I thought too, but from talking to them during interview day, almost non of them had taken the mcat yet. Maybe that's true for an acceptance who knows

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The tufts MBS program does not guarantee entrance. They do have an undergrad program where students get conditionally accepted during their junior year and do not need to take the MCAT (not sure if this is still a thing. But they used to do this)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else still not gotten their Financial Aid package yet? I sent mine in a few days before the the priority deadline.

Reactions: 8 users
And has there been any movement for D Maine Trackers to A or R? I know they said we might have to wait until mid-May... But sheesh it's hard to balance hope for this app cycle with prep for the next one...

Reactions: 6 users
I haven't heard anything after being deferred in Mid-March and Feb Maine interview...Finger crossed we will hear something by the April 30th...

Reactions: 4 users
Update: got my FA. Not the best package but I’m still committing to Tufts!

Reactions: 6 users
I thought they said all aid packages would be out by the end of the day today...it is at least past the end of the work day...are we still expecting awards today :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone:

1) started to look for rentals in Boston; and 2) have you been told that you cannot tour a location in person?

I'll be curious to see what people encounter in the coming months of trying to find a place to live.

I did not receive my financial aid package this past week. Anyone else on the same boat?

Reactions: 11 users
I did not receive my financial aid package this past week. Anyone else on the same boat?
Didn’t get anything. Pretty frustrated honestly, considering the 30th is so close

Reactions: 1 users
I thought they said all aid packages would be out by the end of the day today...it is at least past the end of the work day...are we still expecting awards today :(
I called the FA office yesterday and they said they are still sending offers next week. Call the office Monday and ask for the status of your FA package (after I did this they sent me my offer like 2 hours later).

Reactions: 3 users
I called the FA office yesterday and they said they are still sending offers next week. Call the office Monday and ask for the status of your FA package (after I did this they sent me my offer like 2 hours later).
Yeah I definitely plan to call Monday, I’m just surprised they would bother giving us a date by which we could expect the package and not follow through

Has anyone:

1) started to look for rentals in Boston; and 2) have you been told that you cannot tour a location in person?

I'll be curious to see what people encounter in the coming months of trying to find a place to live.
Yep, so the people I have been talking to said they likely would not be able show the apartment in person but could possible do a virtual tour via Zoom or FaceTime

Anyone know else just get rejected from Tufts but had interviewed only at Maine Trac? Is the rejection for Maine Track as well?

Anyone know else just get rejected from Tufts but had interviewed only at Maine Trac? Is the rejection for Maine Track as well?
Do you mean you got a rejection from Tufts but had interviewed for maine track? What did the rejection email say?

Waitlisted just now after being deferred since last October ...

Waitlisted just now after being deferred since last October :(
Me too, for the Boston campus.

I honestly think that's not a bad thing--I searched in this year's and last year's thread and didn't find any examples of people moving from deferral directly to acceptance, only via the waitlist.

Does anyone who has the MSAR know how many people were admitted from waitlist last year

Just got the WL offer which I accepted. I was deferred last fall. Does anyone know if people from this cycle have gotten rejected post-II from here?

Just got the WL offer which I accepted. I was deferred last fall. Does anyone know if people from this cycle have gotten rejected post-II from here?
Two rejections just now in this thread, but yeah I haven't seen any post-II rejections otherwise this year, I wonder if they just deferred everyone they didn't want to accept.

Deferred last week, today waitlist, who knows what tomorrow brings, good to have choices, maybe another one soon ,good luck to everyone

Yeah I definitely plan to call Monday, I’m just surprised they would bother giving us a date by which we could expect the package and not follow through

Just got off the phone with finaid, FA packages will all be released no later than Thursday the 30th. FWIW, I submitted my app a day before the deadline.

Just got off the phone with finaid, FA packages will all be released no later than Thursday the 30th. FWIW, I submitted my app a day before the deadline.
Yeah I called earlier this morning and she said my app had had its first review and would be reviewed one more time today or tomorrow and get sent out

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my award a bit ago and I am beyond happy right now...looks like I'm going to Tufts! :)

Reactions: 13 users
Just got my award! Looks like I am going to be in a **** ton of debt! :clap:

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Just withdrew (no FA package yet lol). Great school, great community judging from how nice the currents students were in the FB group. Hoping someone on the WL gets the spot! Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you guys!

Just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you guys!
2681EAD3-6FBC-4CA9-81BD-0193A8A302DA.gif

• Haha
Just got my award! Looks like I am going to be in a **** ton of debt! :clap:
Me too! As I am a complete financial illiterate, can anybody explain if I should really be worrying about this? I've heard people say to make cost a decision factor, and others say the opposite.

Cost is a factor if you have choices, however important to pick the best school for you if you have choices, debt is very common everywhere, look at the match lists for residency, make sure your investment pans out, quality of education before location is my motto, good luck

Me too! As I am a complete financial illiterate, can anybody explain if I should really be worrying about this? I've heard people say to make cost a decision factor, and others say the opposite.

Ok so I had a full on meltdown yesterday, but after getting it together I was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Two things...

1. Make a budget and even estimate indebtedness at graduation including interest. Interest doesn't capitalize until 6 months post graduation, so you will not officially pay interest on interest until this happens.

2. Explore refinancing options during residency. SoFi has a pretty sweet deal (although when you refinance you do lose all federal loan benefits which can be bad if you planned to take advantage of REPAYE or something like that). The way I see it, REPAYE doesn't help a whole lot once you become an attending and have to make astronomical payments of 7-10k per month if you borrowed your entire COA. SoFi's option combines all your loans into one loan and reduces your rate (mine was estimated to be 5.5%). They only require $100 payments during residency AND your interest doesn't capitalize until you become an attending (SoFi's residency cap is set to 4 years, so if you have a neurosurgery residency ahead this may not be the best option). I figured I could reasonably pay 1.5-2k per month during residency while living frugally with my partner who will also have an income. This would theoretically reduce my monthly payments to 7-8k over 10 years after finishing residency. This is all assuming you borrow total COA and are also coming in with previous debt. Mine averaged 95k per year with 60k debt coming into med school.

Totally doable, especially if your significant other has an income, but very effing expensive.

Last edited:
Just got waitlisted and this showed up on my FB timeline lmao
25F8BF54-ED49-491D-A639-0A5215E64AA1.png

• Haha
It depends on what you're comparing. Most schools will give you a similar quality of education, with each school giving better access to residencies in a certain area. Top schools will let you get into the top academic residencies, and certain schools prioritizing primary care/without a lot of home departments may make it more difficult to get into competitive specialties, but for most schools there's not enough difference to justify any real difference in tuition.

AAMC has a debt calculator, and I wanted to compare Tufts vs UMass, assuming a 3 year residency.

Assuming borrowing average 95K per year for Tufts, the standard 10 year repayment plan has you paying ~$5100 a month for 10 years, for a total repayment of nearly $600K.
Assuming borrowing an average of 70K per year for UMass, the standard 10 year repayment is ~$3750 per month for 10 years, total repayment of about $440K.

If you can afford to pay $5100 on the UMass loan, you can pay it off in 6-7ish years instead of 10. That gives you ~3-4 additional years of being debt free for choosing a school with a cost of attendance about $25K lower. Relatively small differences can add up to a lot in the end, especially when looking at two schools that will give you about the same chance of matching into the specialty you want. I think cost should definitely be considered closely.

EDIT: This is kind of back of the envelope math, I'm sure someone can calculate it out much more exactly. The point is that seemingly minor differences in cost can change repayment down the line on the order of years.

Last edited: