2019-2020 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my A call just now! interview 3/10

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
How are people sending LOIs to Irvine? Is it through the portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the UCI SOM scholarship is yearly or just a one time gift?

I also got the UCI SOM scholarship, is this need based or merit based? I would think it’s yearly right?

I love looking at this page and seeing everyone's good news. I wanted to ask. I got into UCI and one of my big questions about the program is diversity. I'm black and I didn't see a lot of black/latino people back when I interviewed last year. The numbers online look like the numbers of these races are not high but I wanted to ask on here too

Reactions: 1 users
I love looking at this page and seeing everyone's good news. I wanted to ask. I got into UCI and one of my big questions about the program is diversity. I'm black and I didn't see a lot of black/latino people back when I interviewed last year. The numbers online look like the numbers of these races are not high but I wanted to ask on here too

Last year, only 5% of the class was black and I think in previous years it was also around that number. Orange County is also less than 2% black, so you will rarely see black people in your patient population. In my experience working with underserved Orange County residents, only about 10% of the patients I see are black.

On the other hand, Orange County has a high population of Latinos, especially in the area surrounding the UCI Medical Center. UCI has the PRIME-LC (Latino Community) program with 10 students per class.

One good thing about UCI is one of the rotation locations is in Long Beach, which has a good size population of black/Latino patients. If you enroll at UCI, I also suggest connecting with students from UCLA-Drew and USC because their locations are surrounded by lots of black/Latino patients.

I think you should also look into emailing the faculty who are in charge of diversity. They can answer all of your questions.

Anybody else here that would take the deferred acceptance option if you were offered it? I’m in somewhere else, but would totally postpone med school a year to go to UCI instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody else here that would take the deferred acceptance option if you were offered it? I’m in somewhere else, but would totally postpone med school a year to go to UCI instead.
Are they even making that an option this year?

Can someone who lives in the area give me a rough estimate of what one should expect to pay for internet and utilities? Not from Cali and trying to budget!

Can someone who lives in the area give me a rough estimate of what one should expect to pay for internet and utilities? Not from Cali and trying to budget!
Not from OC but I live elsewhere in SoCal. On average basic utilities (water, gas, electric, etc) will probably run you $115-$130 for a single apartment. The major ISP depends on location but Spectrum has the most coverage since they bought out many rival cable internet companies here, their prices range from $49-100/mo for internet depending the package.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 8 users
For those filling out the Medical Institution Form, how are y'all providing estimates for the housing and budget sections?

For those filling out the Medical Institution Form, how are y'all providing estimates for the housing and budget sections?

Off campus you’re looking at around 2k/month for a 1 bedroom close to campus. Less if you’re sharing a place. I just went with what I pay now for everything else, but you can also use this website to get your cost of living in Irvine for certain categories: Cost of Living in Irvine, California, United States. Apr 2020 prices in Irvine, California.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about the "deferred" option. Does it hurt our chances for being accepted off the WL during the current cycle? If you already have another acceptance but would rather go to UCI, would it be acceptable to select yes for "deferred", or is it only for those without other acceptances?

I'm a little confused about the "deferred" option. Does it hurt our chances for being accepted off the WL during the current cycle? If you already have another acceptance but would rather go to UCI, would it be acceptable to select yes for "deferred", or is it only for those without other acceptances?

How did you get the deferred option?

It doesn’t hurt your chances for WL acceptance. From the website: “If granted a deferred acceptance the applicant would be expected to withdraw from Alternate-Lists they may be on, and if holding another acceptance, withdraw from that school's class roster.” This makes it seem like it’s for both people with no acceptances and people that would attend UCI over their current acceptance.

How did you get the deferred option?

I think everybody on the waitlist gets to select this option. It’s in the portal.

• Wow
It doesn’t hurt your chances for WL acceptance. From the website: “If granted a deferred acceptance the applicant would be expected to withdraw from Alternate-Lists they may be on, and if holding another acceptance, withdraw from that school's class roster.” This makes it seem like it’s for both people with no acceptances and people that would attend UCI over their current acceptance.

I think everybody on the waitlist gets to select this option. It’s in the portal.

For the record, I would contact the admissions committee via email to confirm this. You don't want to have any regrets when all this is over.

For the record, I would contact the admissions committee via email to confirm this. You don't want to have any regrets when all this is over.

That’s a good point. I assumed the deferral admission process was for those applicants unlikely to get off the waitlist, since they start making decisions for deferred acceptance in the summer, after most of the waitlist movement slows down. I’ll ask though and let you guys know what they say.

Reactions: 2 users
anybody decided on UCI? i'll be attending this fall, just let go of all other acceptances

Reactions: 3 users
That’s a good point. I assumed the deferral admission process was for those applicants unlikely to get off the waitlist, since they start making decisions for deferred acceptance in the summer, after most of the waitlist movement slows down. I’ll ask though and let you guys know what they say.

Just got a response from them that what you select for the deferred admission option has no impact on being chosen from the waitlist. I hope this should calm some nerves for everybody.

Reactions: 6 users
Is it possible for students on the waitlist to merit based scholarships?

Is it possible for students on the waitlist to merit based scholarships?
Varies by school and applicant. But theoretically, yes, if all their desired candidates have committed and the waitlisted candidate is desperately needed to fill a spot or to fill a niche in the class. If they see you haven’t another acceptance, then maybe not.

(If you were a dean, and your position and name was on the line based on whether you not only fill a class but also meet all quotas and requirements set by higher-ups, what would you do?)

Hi all,

I’m finishing up the 2020-2021 SOM Institutional Application for UCI Medical Students, and just got to this portion:
image-2020-04-26-13:27:56-383.jpg

I got no idea what to put for this. Anyone else happens to have a workaround for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put in my predicted living situation. I believe the application just wants to know if they should allocate you more money (grants/scholarships/loans) towards housing or not depending if you are on-campus, off-campus or living with parents. Personal opinion but it may be best to just put “off-campus” for now...

I put in my predicted living situation. I believe the application just wants to know if they should allocate you more money (grants/scholarships/loans) towards housing or not depending if you are on-campus, off-campus or living with parents. Personal opinion but it may be best to just put “off-campus” for now...

Got it, thank you! As a follow up, how many roommates did you put? These questions are so strange lol.

Mmh, I think I put 0 but I can’t exactly remember!

How long and in depth should our ' "Personal Statement" portion of the Financial Aid app be?

Are you WL folks filling out all the financial aid type information? I'm looking at the SOM Institutional Application and it seems like it's assuming that you've gotten an acceptance.

Are you WL folks filling out all the financial aid type information? I'm looking at the SOM Institutional Application and it seems like it's assuming that you've gotten an acceptance.

I just ended up filling everything out. Worst case scenario I just wasted some time doing it. But I thought if we somehow make it off the waitlist, financial aid would have what they needed from me.

and i’m not seeing the option to CTE, do I have to change my selection? it was PTE before today

Does anyone know if the WL is ranked (and if so, do they still look at factors like MCAT, GPA, etc)?

Withdrew from here but hoping my spot goes to someone on the WL. Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know when this WL movement is gna start? lol

As UCI’s #1 stalker, it looks like WL movement used to start around this time, up until last year. Last year the first mention of somebody getting in off the waitlist was 5/13. Hope this helps haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users