2019-2020 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As UCI’s #1 stalker, it looks like WL movement used to start around this time, up until last year. Last year the first mention of somebody getting in off the waitlist was 5/13. Hope this helps haha.
Last year there was also minimal movement, so hoping trends are like the years before LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Last year there was also minimal movement, so hoping trends are like the years before LOL
I believe there will be more movement compared to last year. I think last year was an anomaly and admissions are working hard to prevent that from happening again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, earlier this week I e-mailed and left a voicemail checking the status of my position on the alt list. I was met with a generic-sounding message that said they've got very little movement so far, and that's about it...

Then I made the mistake of checking last year's thread, and the current Facebook group. Looks like they're almost filled with 200+ members already? Probably not an accurate view of WL movement but I'm still hanging on to threads of hope. Anyone else mildly freaking out about figuring out housing and stuff? I definitely want to get settled sooner rather than later!

But for now... I'm going back to my quarantine bubble of bliss.

FYI, earlier this week I e-mailed and left a voicemail checking the status of my position on the alt list. I was met with a generic-sounding message that said they've got very little movement so far, and that's about it...

Then I made the mistake of checking last year's thread, and the current Facebook group. Looks like they're almost filled with 200+ members already? Probably not an accurate view of WL movement but I'm still hanging on to threads of hope. Anyone else mildly freaking out about figuring out housing and stuff? I definitely want to get settled sooner rather than later!

dw there is a lot of current students and likely a lot of people who dropped UCI on Apr 30th still in the group who haven’t left yet.

Reactions: 2 users

Oh man! They said that there's been little movement? ugh - nervous!

Does anyone know if the WL is ranked (and if so, do they still look at factors like MCAT, GPA, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm also interested in knowing this! I haven't had any luck in finding this out online

Has anyone tried calling to see when we can expect waitlist movement?

Has anyone tried calling to see when we can expect waitlist movement?

I contacted them this week and they said there’s been very little movement off the acceptance list which I think is similar to last year. So no waitlist movement yet it seems. Just my hot take, but I think movement might pick up around the CTE date 7/15.

I called Monday and left a message. No response yet. UC Irvine is my top choice so I'll wait as long as I am able to.

I contacted them this week and they said there’s been very little movement off the acceptance list which I think is similar to last year. So no waitlist movement yet it seems. Just my hot take, but I think movement might pick up around the CTE date 7/15.
Is that CTE 7/15 date specific for Irvine?

Yes. Every school has their own date but some might overlap.

Is the CTE date 7/15 for UCI? I got an email saying "As a reminder, Wednesday, July 1, 2020 is the deadline to update your selection in the AMCAS portal to "Commit to enroll" to UCI"

Maybe they're expediting the process this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the CTE date 7/15 for UCI? I got an email saying "As a reminder, Wednesday, July 1, 2020 is the deadline to update your selection in the AMCAS portal to "Commit to enroll" to UCI"

Maybe they're expediting the process this year?

I think you’re right! They must have moved it up a bit. 7/15 was the date on MSAR, but I’d definitely go by what they told you instead.

Hoping for some movement this week but it seems like the wait-list is similar to last year and few will get off :(

Was there any movement from the waitlist last year?

Sent an email to UCI admissions last week asking about WL movement, and they responded saying its pretty common for little movement at this moment from the wait list, and that if there is a status change, they will update applicants in real-time. The list will continue being reviewed from now until orientation.

Not sure there will be much movement right now :/

anyone in the groupme group, that can let us know the number of people in the group and if anyone has left the group?

Has anyone contacted the admin office recently? I'm patiently waiting on the alternate list, holding out hope :)

Admissions phone always seems to go to voicemail.

They seem to be pretty easy to get ahold of through the portal communication tab. They usually respond within a couple days.

For those on the alternate list:

Thank you for your email. Due to limited movement from our currently accepted list, we cannot provide a timeline when applicants from the alternate list will be reviewed. Since we do not "rank" our alternate list, there is no number order to consider. When the committee has an update, applicants are immediately sent an email or a phone call.

This is the response I got today. Just have to keep waiting :)

Thank you for your email. Due to limited movement from our currently accepted list, we cannot provide a timeline when applicants from the alternate list will be reviewed. Since we do not "rank" our alternate list, there is no number order to consider. When the committee has an update, applicants are immediately sent an email or a phone call.

Thanks for updating us! Sounds like no WL offers so far. Let’s hope some people turn down UCI in June!

I got a similar response from UCLA, basically a generic response with some emphasis on slower than expected movement...I feel like we’re just waiting on a handful of T5 people to jumpstart the movement. Hopefully that happens before my CTE..

Or is maybe it’s Kaiser and everyone wants that money. NYU of the west, right guys?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! Just got into a school I’ve wanted to go to for six years and therefore withdrew my acceptance. I love UCI. The dean and the staff are extremely wonderful and I’m sure whichever one of you gets my spot will make a wonderful addition to such an awesome ZOT family.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Just to double check, orientation date is on August 5th? Thank you!

Seems like a pretty silent week. Anybody hear any news about WLs here?

Reactions: 1 users
Per UCI no waitlist movement as of now. Hoping for some movement this month with CTE being July 1st.

Per UCI no waitlist movement as of now. Hoping for some movement this month with CTE being July 1st.
I can't come up with any hypothetical scenarios about why there would be movement after CTE. Can you? Seems like if someone got into another school they preferred, the change would be instant. They wouldn't wait.

How has there been no WL movement? Wasn't everyone supposed to drop all but 1 acceptance more than 5 weeks ago? I figured stuff would start falling into place by now. I'm not angry or anything, just kind of baffled.

How has there been no WL movement? Wasn't everyone supposed to drop all but 1 acceptance more than 5 weeks ago? I figured stuff would start falling into place by now. I'm not angry or anything, just kind of baffled.

I listened to a podcast with the UCI dean (from last December) where she mentioned that they were trying to accept more people outright this year than in prior years. It’s possible there will be very little WL movement since we have to wait for the # of accepted students to dip below 104. Also according to MSAR there were 5 deferrals last year, so that’s 5 more spots that are gone for this cycle. UCI is desirable enough for most people to attend, unless they got into a top 20 or had a huge scholarship from another school. I’m sure there will be more people that withdraw their acceptance at UCI, but it’s tough to say if any of us WL people will make it in. All we can do now is send our letters and updates and hope for the best.

I listened to a podcast with the UCI dean (from last December) where she mentioned that they were trying to accept more people outright this year than in prior years. It’s possible there will be very little WL movement since we have to wait for the # of accepted students to dip below 104. Also according to MSAR there were 5 deferrals last year, so that’s 5 more spots that are gone for this cycle. UCI is desirable enough for most people to attend, unless they got into a top 20 or had a huge scholarship from another school. I’m sure there will be more people that withdraw their acceptance at UCI, but it’s tough to say if any of us WL people will make it in. All we can do now is send our letters and updates and hope for the best.
Could you link the podcast. Dean Osborn?

I wonder if all CA schools took that route this year. Seems like CA waitlist movement has been very minimal.

I wonder if all CA schools took that route this year. Seems like CA waitlist movement has been very minimal.

I think yield has been higher with the step changes.

I think yield has been higher with the step changes.

I was hoping with the step changes that more people would turn down UCI for more prestigious schools. But I think too many people understand how good of school this is.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I'm an applicant for the 2020-2021 cycle and am prewriting secondaries. Do the 1500 character count for UCI include spaces? Thank you!

Hi all, I'm an applicant for the 2020-2021 cycle and am prewriting secondaries. Do the 1500 character count for UCI include spaces? Thank you!
I believe it does include spaces. From what I remember, all the character limits on all my apps include spaces (but I could be wrong). Good luck!

Aw, that's a shame. Thank you so much!

1592620051173.png