2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you can write strong essays, why not?
The fee is pretty low and they do accept some oos applicants with 510-514.

I was just concerned because I was under their "competitive applicant" for OOS in regards of mcat by 2 points but I'm hoping my gpa will compensate for that. I'll definitely shoot my shot and see what happens, thank you!!

I was just concerned because I was under their "competitive applicant" for OOS in regards of mcat by 2 points but I'm hoping my gpa will compensate for that. I'll definitely shoot my shot and see what happens, thank you!!
as someone who went here for UG, we are beyond liberal so i hypothesize beefing up anything related to "Advocacy/diversity/service/humanities/primary care" is going to be very important for OOS. i went ham on diversity/service/advocacy to tailor my app

Reactions: 1 user
UNC is not OOS-friendly. You need to be a stellar candidate in one way or another to have a good chance as an OOS applicant. Without knowing your whole application, we cannot tell you for sure whether you are competitive, but if you are below the metrics they suggest for OOS, I would say your chances are not great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went from "Waiting for submission" when I had already submitted (and it said "Application Submitted: July 15, 2019" further down on the page) to "Awaiting Decision" in the same day :oops:.
Most of my other schools have all my LORs and Casper scores, FWIW @jboogie500 and @MonsterSizedQuadriceps

I just logged into my portal and there was a new form asking to enter the date of my Casper exam. I don't think this was there earlier, so make sure you log back in and enter it if you haven't already.

Reactions: 5 users
I just logged into my portal and there was a new form asking to enter the date of my Casper exam. I don't think this was there earlier, so make sure you log back in and enter it if you haven't already.
+1 Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely new, I had logged in yesterday and there was nothing about Casper there.

OOS verified 5/16, secondary received today! I feel like it could go either way with this one cuz my MCAT isn't that impressive but my EC's are pretty substantial. Also I'm URM and disadvantaged, so I'm staying optimistic! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS verified 5/16, secondary received today! I feel like it could go either way with this one cuz my MCAT isn't that impressive but my EC's are pretty substantial. Also I'm URM and disadvantaged, so I'm staying optimistic! Good luck to everyone!
I'm in your EXACT shoes except I got verified a day earlier. Already submitted, still shook that I made it passed the pre-screen lol...

Anyone know what they mean when they say that having FAP doesn't guarentee you a fee waiver? My portal says "awaiting payment" because I requested a waiver. Anyone know how long this takes/ how they evaluate if you should receive a waiver?

Received the secondary 2 days ago but just received an email that says "two weeks ago we sent you an invitation to complete our secondary application and your August 10, 2019 deadline is getting close"
Anyone else receive this who has not had the secondary that long? Hoping it is a mistake

Received the secondary 2 days ago but just received an email that says "two weeks ago we sent you an invitation to complete our secondary application and your August 10, 2019 deadline is getting close"
Anyone else receive this who has not had the secondary that long? Hoping it is a mistake
I received the same email today and only received their secondary 4 days ago. I would just make sure to submit as soon as you are ready, and before the deadline date.

I just received an email with their comprehensive guide to their application process. I am not sure if all applicants received it or if it has any significance.

I just received an email with their comprehensive guide to their application process. I am not sure if all applicants received it or if it has any significance.

Got the same email a little bit ago. Submitted a week ago, saw UNC in my email and my heart stopped. Then I read it and realized it was nothing

Reactions: 5 users
Got the same email a little bit ago. Submitted a week ago, saw UNC in my email and my heart stopped. Then I read it and realized it was nothing
I saw it and went “wow is this my first R?!” but sure enough it was a very long email that said nothing.

Reactions: 3 users
Same. Submitted my 2° like 2 days ago and got it this morning. Thought it was my first II smh lol...

If I'm in the process of getting a job but won't begin until after the July 30th deadline, should I leave the "Where are you currently employed?" space blank or put "Pending" or something and call them later to update them after the secondary is submitted?

My primary was verified 7/19 and I'm in-state. 512 MCAT and 3.65 gpa. I've received all my other secondaries but nothing from UNC. Should I be worried?

My primary was verified 7/19 and I'm in-state. 512 MCAT and 3.65 gpa. I've received all my other secondaries but nothing from UNC. Should I be worried?
No need to worry, but I would consider contacting them if you don't receive it by the end of the month.

they send them out in batches, but I agree with EmbryonalCarcinoma

1000 characters each prompt seems so restrictive. It seems like I'm writing 4 sentences each and I'm done!

Would it be weird/dumb to write about not getting accepted into med school your first time around for the essay asking to talk about failure/unsuccessful time?

Would it be weird/dumb to write about not getting accepted into med school your first time around for the essay asking to talk about failure/unsuccessful time?
I'd pick a different topic.

Anyone know what they mean when they say that having FAP doesn't guarentee you a fee waiver? My portal says "awaiting payment" because I requested a waiver. Anyone know how long this takes/ how they evaluate if you should receive a waiver?
Did this ever resolve for you? I submitted last night and today it says awaiting payment now

Did this ever resolve for you? I submitted last night and today it says awaiting payment now
Yes, a few days later I got an email saying I'd been approved. I called the admissions office before receiving the email and they basically said "be patient"

My email actually blocked their secondary and I was verified 7/1. I assumed they were slow on secondaries but I had to change my email (after calling them) to receive their secondary. That being said, the secondary is submitted. To be safe, I would call. Will only help you.

I was verified 7/10 and still have yet to hear about a secondary... getting worried because this is my dream school...

I was verified 7/10 and still have yet to hear about a secondary... getting worried because this is my dream school...
Pretty sure they send secondaries to everyone, so I wouldn't be worried. If you haven't gotten one by the end of the month, I'd contact them. Also, check your spam.

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the portal? It says my credentials are invalid, but I know I'm using the correct email and password...

I got an email telling me that they cant offer me a fee waiver.

• Wow
For people who submitted their secondary and requested a fee waiver, do they contact you later with the decision? If declined, do you just pay then?

Prompt 2: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

I want to write about one Christmas when I bought food and snacks for an illegal alien who's kids just arrived from their home country. She had to pay a lot of money to get the kids, was working 2 jobs, and couldn't afford anything for them for Christmas. Will the fact that she was an illegal alien be seen as a negative for me to write about? Never talk about politics and religion, am I right fellas?

Prompt 2: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

I want to write about one Christmas when I bought food and snacks for an illegal alien who's kids just arrived from their home country. She had to pay a lot of money to get the kids, was working 2 jobs, and couldn't afford anything for them for Christmas. Will the face that she was an illegal alien be seen as a negative for me to write about? Never talk about politics and religion, am I right fellas?
I mean, calling them “illegal aliens” sure isn’t doing you any favors. Regardless of how you feel about the politics, it’s hardly considered the compassionate or empathetic term.

Somehow you're turning this against me lol. It's obvious how I feel about the politics. I'm the one who spent my money (of which I do not have a lot) on a family I didn't know because I felt empathetic and compassionate for the mom's situation. I'm simply asking how an admissions committee would see it.

Somehow you're turning this against me lol. It's obvious how I feel about the politics. I'm the one who spent my money (of which I do not have a lot) on a family I didn't know because I felt empathetic and compassionate for the mom's situation. I'm simply asking how an admissions committee would see it.
An admissions committee would not like if you used the term illegal alien. UNC especially.

Reactions: 3 users

I want to write about one Christmas when I bought food and snacks for an illegal alien who's kids just arrived from their home country. She had to pay a lot of money to get the kids, was working 2 jobs, and couldn't afford anything for them for Christmas. Will the fact that she was an illegal alien be seen as a negative for me to write about? Never talk about politics and religion, am I right fellas?
An admissions committee would not like if you used the term illegal alien. UNC especially.
If there was one school you wouldn't want to use that term for, it would ESPECIALLY be UNC.

Reactions: 2 users