2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone's transcript show up as received yet? Mine still doesn't and I submitted it in December. Maybe they haven't gotten to them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone's transcript show up as received yet? Mine still doesn't and I submitted it in December. Maybe they haven't gotten to them yet?

Submitted my transcript last week and also nothing yet! I think in last year's thread this was also a problem

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to create their profile?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Successfully reactivated mine...but only after emailing admissions and saying I was having some issues!

Okay, so did everyone that was waitlisted have decided in their portal now? I hadn't looked at my portal in a while and just happened to notice that today.

Is there a facebook page for accepted students? I tried to find one, but couldn't.

Okay, so did everyone that was waitlisted have decided in their portal now? I hadn't looked at my portal in a while and just happened to notice that today.
Yup, I had the "decided" status since the day I got waitlisted.

Does anyone know when waitlist movement begins? Sorry if this has already been asked before

Hope yall are staying healthy and at home!!

If there are 49 instate people who have said they've been waitlisted on SDN, is it reasonable to assume they waitlist around 100 instate people?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news about the virtual second look?

Yeah look up UNC SOM class of 2024
So I see that one and I sent a request a few days ago but haven't heard anything back. Anyone else in a similar situation? It also looks like there are only 29 people in the group? Is that the right one?

So I see that one and I sent a request a few days ago but haven't heard anything back. Anyone else in a similar situation? It also looks like there are only 29 people in the group? Is that the right one?

I'm in the same boat!

Any idea how long UNC will let us wait-listers ride it out? Do they send R's at some point, or do we wait in purgatory until FDOC?

Any idea how long UNC will let us wait-listers ride it out? Do they send R's at some point, or do we wait in purgatory until FDOC?
1585062277405.png

I would say you can expect a lot of movement that last week of April/first week of May since the commit to enroll deadline is April 30th (correct me if I'm wrong). I think a lot of applicants will hear back in May if they got off the waitlist. As for the endless purgatory, I knew somebody who got off the waitlist for UNC in July and had to uproot her whole life to attend.

What are everyone's thoughts on how the coronavirus situation may affect this cycle's admissions process (e.g. do you think it could mean we end up hearing back even later)? Wondering because I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT and original plan was to schedule it in early June to at least hear back first from UNC. But now I'm not so sure that'd be enough time.

This seems dumb, I know. Can you send me the hyperlink to it? I'm only finding the undergrad one.

Edit: nevermind, I went to twitter and they had a link from that.
Double edit: just kidding, that twitter one is still the undergrad one.

Can someone send me the direct webpage to that facebook, please? Thank you!

Let me know if this works: www.facebook.com/groups/UNCSOM2024/?ref=share

The group doesn't come up in a google search (I guess because it's a private group?), but you can also try searching "UNC SOM Class of 2024" within Facebook if the link doesn't work. Just FYI, it doesn't seem like a super active page yet... I requested to join a few days ago and my request is still pending. Admin Luis is slacking lol

Yea... the link I just posted definitely did not work... sorry about that. Trying searching directly in facebook and let me know what happens.

Last edited:
Hey! So just got the email with the details on second look, will they be able to see us on the zoom meeting (i.e. should I not wear pajamas and dress business casual instead?)

Just got it too! Personally, I can't fly back to get at my nice clothing. So I hope we don't have to show our faces. :bag:
Haha exactly! I'm not at my apartment either right now and was about to raid my sister's closet! Now that I'm thinking about it, it would probably be too crazy with 100+ people's webcams popping up, so hopefully we will just be able to see them! And I guess the call-in option is to ask questions?

You can enter a zoom meeting with both your camera and mic disabled. Zoom will ask you about camera and mic options through pop-ups as you are trying to enter the meeting (after you start the program but before you actually enter the meeting). The window where the video of you would show up will be blacked-out and will just show your name (or whatever name you enter the meeting with). I definitely would not worry about picking a great outfit. If you are really afraid of showing up on camera you can always call in instead. I’m guessing there will be a chat feature for questions so they can run through them more efficiently.

You can enter a zoom meeting with both your camera and mic disabled. Zoom will ask you about camera and mic options through pop-ups as you are trying to enter the meeting (after you start the program but before you actually enter the meeting). The window where the video of you would show up will be blacked-out and will just show your name (or whatever name you enter the meeting with). I definitely would not worry about picking a great outfit. If you are really afraid of showing up on camera you can always call in instead. I’m guessing there will be a chat feature for questions so they can run through them more efficiently.
Thank you for clarifying!! I had only ever used WebEx but they sound pretty similar. “See y’all” Saturday morning! :)

Do mean this cycle as in this next admissions cycle? I don't mean to be dense, just want to make sure I understand the question.

If that's your question, it seems like no one can agree how it will impact timelines. But my guess is AMCAS will open the same day, but deadlines for completion might be extended a bit. So, applicants should still complete applications ASAP.

I took my MCAT in late June last year; my applications were complete at end of July the day my scores were released. I don't think this adversely impacted my cycle. Early June would mean you can be complete the same day as people who took their MCAT before then (since primaries don't get released until end of June on a normal year). So, I think you're fine to take MCAT early June, complete secondaries throughout June, and then you'll be complete within days of all other applicants.

I was referring to this current cycle, just because I'd rather not retake till I know I get accepted or rejected off the waitlist. However, it's been said that the waitlist can go till late July and was wondering if the covid situation could mean that waitlist movement gets pushed back further than usual. Overall ... just trying to figure out when I should schedule my next mcat so that I can allow for significant waitlist movement (hopefully get accepted off it and could cancel my test), but also allow for enough to time to study and not be late if I do have to apply for the upcoming cycle!

I was referring to this current cycle, just because I'd rather not retake till I know I get accepted or rejected off the waitlist. However, it's been said that the waitlist can go till late July and was wondering if the covid situation could mean that waitlist movement gets pushed back further than usual. Overall ... just trying to figure out when I should schedule my next mcat so that I can allow for significant waitlist movement (hopefully get accepted off it and could cancel my test), but also allow for enough to time to study and not be late if I do have to apply for the upcoming cycle!

Hey! I’m in a similar position to you and my plan is to take it sometime in July because honestly if we haven’t heard by then our chances of getting off the waitlist are VERY slim (just my opinion). I don’t think you’ll have to worry about taking it too late for the upcoming cycle, ik someone who took theirs as late as mid September 2019 and still got accepted this app cycle. Not saying this is ideal for anyone but to me July seems like a good sweet spot!

For those of you doing virtual second look tomorrow, do you plan on staying on the call for the entire duration or just chiming in for parts of it?

For those of you doing virtual second look tomorrow, do you plan on staying on the call for the entire duration or just chiming in for parts of it?
Hey! I was going to stay on the entire time from my laptop and just walk away at the breaks. If you’re calling in, I’m sure you can hang up at the breaks and just call back in, or walk away at the breaks and just make sure to stay on mute if you stay on the line. I’m sure they will give some more details tomorrow when it starts

Not that it’s any surprise but I heard from admissions they will “likely not be releasing waitlist positions until after April 30th” so no need to stress refresh your email every 20 seconds until then

Reactions: 4 users
Will a recording of Second Look be sent out?

For those who missed second look: please send me a DM and I can link you to the ppt slides! One of the admissions staff dropped the link in the second look Zoom chat, but I don't think it was ever officially emailed to us.

Also just checked ConnectCarolina and saw my financial aid award. Just loans only

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Was it emailed or is it posted anywhere? Also, does it include merit scholarship information, or only needs-based? Thanks for the update!
I got an email that it was posted to connectCarolina.

I got only need based loans. Idk if UNC does any grants or anything. I am in-state FYI. I had emailed today and the director of admissions said "the Scholarship Committee will begin making scholarship awards over the next few weeks" about scholarships.

Also, to add to the things that I am bothered about with UNC. When I had previously spoken to someone on the phone from the financial aid office and they said financial aid packages wouldn't be released until late April. And at second look they seemed to imply like two weeks. I just want consistency and sticking to what you say. Unless this is all a giant April fools joke.

• Angry
I got an email that it was posted to connectCarolina.

I got only need based loans. Idk if UNC does any grants or anything. I am in-state FYI. I had emailed today and the director of admissions said "the Scholarship Committee will begin making scholarship awards over the next few weeks" about scholarships.

That's really helpful info. As an OOS student, 100k in loans every year is scary

Last edited:
Has anyone received the list of contact info from the students who spoke at second look?

Has anyone received the list of contact info from the students who spoke at second look?

I also have the link for this haha. It was posted in the Zoom Second Look chat as well. Please DM me if you want it

Has anyone’s transcript been received yet? I know they sent an email about it but I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one still with a red x.

Hey, who do we send the transcripts to?

Hey, who do we send the transcripts to?

In all seriousness, here is their address.

UNC School of Medicine Office of Admissions
School of Medicine
321 S. Columbia Street
Ste. 1001 Bondurant Hall, CB #9500
Chapel Hill, NC
27599–9500

Has anybody gotten notice on immunizations we need to do?

Anyone want to stage a coup and create another UNC SOM c/o 2024 FB page? I’ve been pending on the current one for like 1.5 months & am starting to get antsy about housing, etc.