2019-2020 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an incoming student here, happy to answer any questions about the application process and can answer questions about the school itself come August!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Campus selection received verified 6/06 OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Campus selection email received. It states that "Your application is in the queue to be screened for a supplemental application invitation. We appreciate your patience during the screening process."

Are you IS?

IS.

Prompts:
Describe your academic journey. Include information about the courses you selected, your major and why you selected them. What challenges and victories did you experience? If you have an advanced degree or completed post-bacc work, why did you decide to pursue those? How have your academic pursuits prepared you for medical school? 1500 characters

Tell us about a time when you recovered from a non-academic setback. How did you identify the setback and what steps did you take to recover? 1500 characters

Please answer one or more of the following questions:
a) Tell us about a time when you were given too much work. How did you handle the situation?
b) Tell us about a time when you played a role in improving a process. How did you identify the areas for improvement and what steps did you take to change the process?
c) Tell us about a time when you were expected to adhere to deadlines. What strategies did you use to meet the deadline(s)?
1500 characters

Tell us about a time when you observed, personally experienced, or acted with implicit or explicit bias. If you observed or personally experienced implicit or explicit bias what did you do to address this situation or what would you do in the future? If you were implicitly or explicitly biased how did you become aware of this and what did you do to address the situation or what will you do in the future? Through either situation we are interested in what you learned. (This question is not required.) 1500 characters

People have multiple identities. Please tell us about your identity. How has your identity impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different from your own? Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. 1500 characters

Tell us about a time when you developed a creative approach to solving a problem or addressing an issue? (This question is not required.) 1500 characters

Why do you want to go to medical school in MN? 1500 characters

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss an aspect of your journey to medicine that you have not have already presented in your application. You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (This question is not required.) 1500 characters

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
IS.

Prompts:
Describe your academic journey. Include information about the courses you selected, your major and why you selected them. What challenges and victories did you experience? If you have an advanced degree or completed post-bacc work, why did you decide to pursue those? How have your academic pursuits prepared you for medical school? 1500 characters

Tell us about a time when you recovered from a non-academic setback. How did you identify the setback and what steps did you take to recover? 1500 characters

Please answer one or more of the following questions:
a) Tell us about a time when you were given too much work. How did you handle the situation?
b) Tell us about a time when you played a role in improving a process. How did you identify the areas for improvement and what steps did you take to change the process?
c) Tell us about a time when you were expected to adhere to deadlines. What strategies did you use to meet the deadline(s)?
1500 characters

Tell us about a time when you observed, personally experienced, or acted with implicit or explicit bias. If you observed or personally experienced implicit or explicit bias what did you do to address this situation or what would you do in the future? If you were implicitly or explicitly biased how did you become aware of this and what did you do to address the situation or what will you do in the future? Through either situation we are interested in what you learned. (This question is not required.) 1500 characters

People have multiple identities. Please tell us about your identity. How has your identity impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different from your own? Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. 1500 characters

Tell us about a time when you developed a creative approach to solving a problem or addressing an issue? (This question is not required.) 1500 characters

Why do you want to go to medical school in MN? 1500 characters

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss an aspect of your journey to medicine that you have not have already presented in your application. You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (This question is not required.) 1500 characters

I spent forever prewriting and they changed almost all of them

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if those character limits are with or without spaces? I've gotten screwed over on that before!

Thanks!

There are a lot of optional essays... thoughts on doing like half of them? What are you guys doing?

How long was it from the time people got a campus selection to when you got your secondary?

Is anyone else having trouble logging in to the portal?

Edit: submitted via Internet Explorer because it wasn't working on Chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know when I might get a secondary? Was verified 7/3 and am still waiting, don’t understand why it is taking so long.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when I might get a secondary? Was verified 7/3 and am still waiting, don’t understand why it is taking so long.
I was verified 5/31 and didn't get a secondary until today. Minnesota is just slow.

I was verified that same day and I still haven't gotten one yet! I know it's stressful, but fear not!
I'm also wondering if they will prioritize in-state over OOS. I am IS but just something to consider.

Just submitted! ahh!

To those who submitted already: did you get a confirmation email saying your secondary app is finished? I didn't receive one, but the checklist on the website is definitely all marked as complete.

Just submitted! ahh!

To those who submitted already: did you get a confirmation email saying your secondary app is finished? I didn't receive one, but the checklist on the website is definitely all marked as complete.

I got one right after I submitted it, you should be fine though!

Secondary received!! IS, verified 6/3! SO PUMPED!!!!!!!!!

So the "why UMN?" prompt is now "why MN?"
Did anyone still approach it, for the most part at least, like a why UMN prompt?
I started out with why MN in general and then I transitioned into why UMN

For the 'setback' question on the secondary, did anyone just use this as a challenge essay? Mine was about overcoming failure so it seems like it might work?

For the 'setback' question on the secondary, did anyone just use this as a challenge essay? Mine was about overcoming failure so it seems like it might work?
Yeah, I used part of my "greatest challenge" essay (I have a separate "failure" essay). My challenge wasn't about failure but as long as your failure is a non-academic setback, you're fine.

Submitted my secondary but my coursework says "unverified" on the "print your application" page. My primary has been verified for at least a month. Is this happening for anyone else?

Anyone MD/PhD get a campus selection/secondary yet?

I was verified 7/2 and haven't heard anything yet.

Submitted campus selection 7/15. Still haven't received secondary. OOS.

Hey, y’all. Just a quick question - for the prereq course aspect of the supplementary app, it says to “provide name, number, term taken, and grade.” However, mine is in the form of a drop down menu with my courses already listed. When I click on one, it does not allow me to add grade or term taken. I know part of the screen is a prereq check, so I’m assuming it’s all good. Just wondering if anyone else had this. Thanks!

There are two "not required" questions (except for the one about any updates). Are they truly not required or a measure of laziness?

Hey, y’all. Just a quick question - for the prereq course aspect of the supplementary app, it says to “provide name, number, term taken, and grade.” However, mine is in the form of a drop down menu with my courses already listed. When I click on one, it does not allow me to add grade or term taken. I know part of the screen is a prereq check, so I’m assuming it’s all good. Just wondering if anyone else had this. Thanks!
I selected "custom" for all my courses and manually enter them instead because when you select custom different boxes pop up to add grade and term taken

There are two "not required" questions (except for the one about any updates). Are they truly not required or a measure of laziness?
I feel like if you have great answers for the required ones and you don't have great answers for the other ones, don't answer them. If you can put together a good response though I say do it.

I selected "custom" for all my courses and manually enter them instead because when you select custom different boxes pop up to add grade and term taken
When you submit the application, by using the drop-down selection, your information is automatically filled in from the AMCAS primary app, including grades.

I left one of the not required questions last year blank, and it worked out alright for me :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just submitted the secondary. IS, LM 74, third time's the charm! I also left one of the questions blank so we'll see