2019-2020 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, could anyone give me their opinion on what to do?

I applied here, and it is my #1 school, I completed my secondary on 7/26 but still no II. I saw where someone put up criteria for interviews at 3.2 gpa and 498 mcat. So I was wondering if you guys think I should just give up or do I still have a chance at an interview?

MCAT: 497
sGPA: 3.49
cGPA: 3.65
100+ Hours volunteering (no medical)
~15 hours student mentoring
~50 hours of tutoring
Worked student job since I’ve been in college
OOS (Ohio) but from a rural, underserved Appalachian Area

Should I basically just plan on taking a gap year and fixing my mcat score and getting medical experience? I’m sort of stressed now

OMS-I here, you should definitely apply. Your MCAT is only 1 point lower than mine was, but you have a decent GPA and EC’s and a background that identifies with our school mission. Submit that application as soon as possible but understand that there is a higher possibility that you could be screened, so prepare for a gap year w/ MCAT retake until you get that acceptance email. Best of luck, if you have any questions, feel free to ask on here or PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good for her! those are great stats. Mine are around their average so I can see why I haven't heard back yet.

If it makes you feel better I’m 3.7/510 and haven’t heard anything here! Maybe they’re looking for something beyond stats.

To the people who already interviewed - how was your experience? What kind of questions did they ask?

To the people who already interviewed - how was your experience? What kind of questions did they ask?
It was a pretty chill interview day. You get the bios and contact info of the interviewers, free lunch (we had a salad bar, desserts, water/soda). You also get a big packet of the school's information and the schedule. There was a financial aid and overview presentation from admissions folk and Dean Shaffer. Our tour was pretty spectacular! We visited the clinics, gross anatomy lab, sim labs, research labs, and study rooms. We also got to see all of the cafeterias and the Optometry/Nursing building. For the interview itself, I was asked about my academic performance, why medicine, why KYCOM, and my research experiences. I also had the opportunity to ask a LOT of questions. PM me if you want to ask more specific questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an email basically saying my GPA wasn't good enough, but that they don't deny applications until the end of the cycle. I guess I'm pretty screwed since I'm not currently taking any classes :(

Just received an email basically saying my GPA wasn't good enough, but that they don't deny applications until the end of the cycle. I guess I'm pretty screwed since I'm not currently taking any classes :(

You mind sharing stats?

Got the same email lol. Same stats too. Oh well.

Pretty dumb to not just say you have a GPA requirement instead of just popping it up after youve already paid for the primary and secondary.

Yeah I have like a 3.1 and 511
Tempted to call and beg :( I think I really would have liked this school
I would honestly call and talk with Michael. Yes a 3.1 looks bad, but you definitely proved yourself with a 511.

Got the same email lol. Same stats too. Oh well.

Pretty dumb to not just say you have a GPA requirement instead of just popping it up after youve already paid for the primary and secondary.
When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would honestly call and talk with Michael. Yes a 3.1 looks bad, but you definitely proved yourself with a 511.

So I did end up calling Michael, and it looks like for right now, there is a hard screen at 3.2 GPA. He said both my MCAT and nonscience GPA looked great and showed I was academically capable, but that I would have to wait until later in the cycle for the screen to potentially lower. He said this would be early next year, if at all. Hope this helps someone out there

Reactions: 4 users
So I did end up calling Michael, and it looks like for right now, there is a hard screen at 3.2 GPA. He said both my MCAT and nonscience GPA looked great and showed I was academically capable, but that I would have to wait until later in the cycle for the screen to potentially lower. He said this would be early next year, if at all. Hope this helps someone out there

Thanks so much for calling and sharing. Hopefully we'll hear from them next year :D

For the interview scheduler there's only dates in November? Is this accurate? I didn't think it would be that late lol

II today! Complete 8/14. OOS non-trad 3.22/512

Is that a 3.2 cGPA or sGPA or both?

Kinda wish I knew about the hard screen for gpa before I sent in my primary and secondary ... I spoke to Michael also but he told me I don’t meet the threshold to be offered an interview since my science gpa is 3.1 Even though I meet the criteria in my cgpa and mcat . Idk he seemed like that screen wasn’t going change but who knows. Oh well I guess.

I am surprised that they screen at a 3.2. They have an average MCAT of 500 and a sGPA/cGPA of 3.4/3.5. Those seem like kind of low stats for a 3.2 interview screen
uhno[1].gif

My application was complete on 7/31 and I haven't heard anything. When should I contact the admissions office to see where I'm at? I am from Kentucky and this is my number 1 choice

I received a phone call this morning.... ACCEPTED!! So excited to be apart of the class of 2024

Reactions: 4 users
I received a phone call this morning.... ACCEPTED!! So excited to be apart of the class of 2024
Congratulations! Do you know if they're going to be only calling for acceptances or will they be calling for every decision?

Congratulations! Do you know if they're going to be only calling for acceptances or will they be calling for every decision?
I believe it is phone call if accepted and email if other. BUT, someone did post last year that they received an email for acceptance as well, so don't immediately panic if you receive an email.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have interviewed, would you mind sharing how it went and what kind of questions were asked? Thank you!

For those who have interviewed, would you mind sharing how it went and what kind of questions were asked? Thank you!
I think my interview went pretty well. Asked a lot of questions about why KYCOM, why medicine, academic performance improvements, and a few things about my research. Honestly, they're asking questions based on what you answer, so I found it to be pretty chill. PM me if you want more details!

II today! scheduled for Fri 12/13

Last edited:
I thought it was supposed to be today lol
Did they tell you it would be today? They said the committee would meet and then make phone calls this week and it was Labor Day so the earliest they could've met was yesterday.

II this morning! Scheduled for 1/10 (there are December dates but they're during my finals week).

Any MS2s that can speak to why UPike's COMLEX L1 pass rate jumped up so much last year? Did they make some improvements to their curriculum?

Did they tell you it would be today? They said the committee would meet and then make phone calls this week and it was Labor Day so the earliest they could've met was yesterday.
Well, they did say the committee would be meeting yesterday and depending on the schedule of the dean, either he or Michael Kennedy are going to make the calls. It sounded like they meant today, but I could have misinterpreted what they said.

Well, they did say the committee would be meeting yesterday and depending on the schedule of the dean, either he or Michael Kennedy are going to make the calls. It sounded like they meant today, but I could have misinterpreted what they said.

I guess we will just have to see, the best of luck to you! I’m so anxious lol. I did notice last year’s thread having a hold up for the 8/31 interviewees and they heard back on Sept 13. I hope it’s this week though.

Do you remember around what time you received the phone call and when the adcom met for your interview?

Do you remember around what time you received the phone call and when the adcom met for your interview?
I received the phone call around 9 am and it was 6 days after my interview. Although, I am not sure when they actually met to discuss my interview.

I received the phone call around 9 am and it was 6 days after my interview. Although, I am not sure when they actually met to discuss my interview.
They meet every Tuesday for review and then they start calling in the next days.

8/30 interviews, they told us they’d call starting Thursday!

Reactions: 2 users