You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Weill Cornell
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
vivalavida97
Full Member
I'd be careful with this. By nature, I feel like most committee letters won't be that personal, but med schools seem to highly regard them as a comprehensive review of you as a candidate by your undergrad faculty.Will it seem strange if my committee letter is not in this top three? I do have a committee letter (not packet, not composite, just from the pre-med board) that I sent to them, but I personally feel that my other letters speak much better to my character and experiences, and are frankly probably stronger than whatever the committee letter says.
I'm on the same boat and I'm not sure about how to go about this. In addition to my orgo courses and AP credits for general chemistry, I took one physical chemistry course and that's it. I don't know if it's worth it to apply here even though I think I like this school. If they'd let us finish up in the spring (which I don't think would be allowed because they say that they want all requirements done by January 31), I might still apply.Wondering if anyone has any insight on this...
I originally decided to not apply here because Cornell does not accept AP Credit and I did not take any inorganic chem labs in my time as an undergrad. However, I really do like the school, so would it be theoretically possible to take it at a community college in the months before I start if I were to hypothetically get in?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
helpmeout441
Full Member
I'm on the same boat and I'm not sure about how to go about this. In addition to my orgo courses and AP credits for general chemistry, I took one physical chemistry course and that's it. I don't know if it's worth it to apply here even though I think I like this school. If they'd let us finish up in the spring (which I don't think would be allowed because they say that they want all requirements done by January 31), I might still apply.
Does anyone know how strict they are with these requirements? I already submitted my secondary but didn't realize they had these requirements until now. I'm in the same situations as you. I took 2 semesters of orgo, 1 semester of biochem, but I only have AP credit for gen chem. I was going to take physical chemistry this upcoming year (my senior year) but then I won't be done by their January 31 deadline. Should I shoot them an email?
D
deleted688779
Does anyone know how strict they are with these requirements? I already submitted my secondary but didn't realize they had these requirements until now. I'm in the same situations as you. I took 2 semesters of orgo, 1 semester of biochem, but I only have AP credit for gen chem. I was going to take physical chemistry this upcoming year (my senior year) but then I won't be done by their January 31 deadline. Should I shoot them an email?
Same here, but with English. I never took an English-literature course due to my AP credits, the closest thing is fictional writing.
Call admissionsDoes anyone know how strict they are with these requirements? I already submitted my secondary but didn't realize they had these requirements until now. I'm in the same situations as you. I took 2 semesters of orgo, 1 semester of biochem, but I only have AP credit for gen chem. I was going to take physical chemistry this upcoming year (my senior year) but then I won't be done by their January 31 deadline. Should I shoot them an email?
They considered substitutes for my writing reqs.Same here, but with English. I never took an English-literature course due to my AP credits, the closest thing is fictional writing.
Does anyone know how strict they are with these requirements? I already submitted my secondary but didn't realize they had these requirements until now. I'm in the same situations as you. I took 2 semesters of orgo, 1 semester of biochem, but I only have AP credit for gen chem. I was going to take physical chemistry this upcoming year (my senior year) but then I won't be done by their January 31 deadline. Should I shoot them an email?
I think I would email them! I'm going to send them an email too. I don't want to miss out on applying to Cornell if they're willing to make exceptions, substitutions, or let me take one last chemistry course next spring. I'm a trombone player and their Music & Medicine initiative is sooooo cool!
When your application is complete, do you get an email with this new interface (it seems like it was different last year)?
Mine just says "Finished" at the bottom...
Mine just says "Finished" at the bottom...
jfijiefjieji
Full Member
Anyone not get a confirmation email after submitting yet?
I got a “application complete” email about two days after I submitted. Web portal looks the same though.
Anyone not get a confirmation email after submitting yet?
I think the application portal says they manually verify submitted apps so I think it will take a few days, like user boolfish21 said below
I got a “application complete” email about two days after I submitted. Web portal looks the same though.
I applied MD/PhD and received confirmation in 12 hours but n=1
jfijiefjieji
Full Member
Yeah, I submitted thursday but haven't received one yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted972488
+1 but submitted SaturdayYeah, I submitted thursday but haven't received one yet
D
deleted972488
Complete email received
D
deleted688779
Complete email received
Submitted Friday, did not receive
Complete email received
+1 was received at 1900
2° looks identical to pre-completion
Last edited:
MSTP complete email received on 16th after submission on 14th.
added school last night, secondary received this morning. oos.
jfijiefjieji
Full Member
Do you think I should contact the admissions office if it's been a week and still haven't received a complete email?
D
deleted972488
Yeah. I think I read somewhere that they said to contact them if you didn't get the complete email by the end of the third business day.Do you think I should contact the admissions office if it's been a week and still haven't received a complete email?
@people with commitee letter packet that includes other letters --- did you just put your school name?
positivepuffin
Full Member
Is it true that Cornell prefers a 72 hour turnaround for secondaries?
Is it true that Cornell prefers a 72 hour turnaround for secondaries?
Hey, got in last cycle. Got my secondary 7/17, submitted 8/09, complete 8/21, II 12/21 for 1/15. Don't stress, man.
Yes@people with commitee letter packet that includes other letters --- did you just put your school name?
positivepuffin
Full Member
Hey, got in last cycle. Got my secondary 7/17, submitted 8/09, complete 8/21, II 12/21 for 1/15. Don't stress, man.
Thank you :')
Received complete email today, submitted 7/17
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bit late but noticed this as well. Do you think the extra characters are meant as buffer room for anyone who was struggling with a couple extra characters, or should we strictly adhere to the 1500 character limit?Did anyone else notice that the instructions say 1500 characters but the space allows for 1525?
As long as it lets you type and save you are good.Bit late but noticed this as well. Do you think the extra characters are meant as buffer room for anyone who was struggling with a couple extra characters, or should we strictly adhere to the 1500 character limit?
I think it’s a buffer. I went a bit over tooBit late but noticed this as well. Do you think the extra characters are meant as buffer room for anyone who was struggling with a couple extra characters, or should we strictly adhere to the 1500 character limit?
zeerabiscuit
Full Member
Wondering if anyone has any insight on this...
I originally decided to not apply here because Cornell does not accept AP Credit and I did not take any inorganic chem labs in my time as an undergrad. However, I really do like the school, so would it be theoretically possible to take it at a community college in the months before I start if I were to hypothetically get in?
Same but I'm applying anyway
greatjoyousday
Full Member
What did you do to fix this? I'm having the same problem and refreshing is not making a difference.Anyone else having trouble submitting it? I've been trying to press the submit and pay button and it just gives me the loading wheel
filthy_premed
Full Member
just waitedWhat did you do to fix this? I'm having the same problem and refreshing is not making a difference.
D
deleted996731
Anyone know how to upload supporting documents. I have a doc of all my abstracts and there seems to be no option. Thanks
dreamitmakeithappen
Full Member
anyone know when IIs started coming out last year?
anyone know when IIs started coming out last year?
August 15th
D
deleted996731
Thanks. I actually called and they do add supporting documents to your app if you email them! [email protected] for anyone who wants the email.There is no option for supporting documents. They do however, accept updates.
“Send updates if something significant changes in your application (e.g. major award or publication). We are open to receiving substantive and occasional updates.”
Email it to: [email protected]
spontaneous23
Full Member
Has anyone submitted an ITA email yet? Their complete email is very upfront about their receptiveness to them, and I already know when I'm going to be in NYC
I sent an ITA email! They responded, and said they had added it to my file.
D
deleted783578
I sent an ITA email! They responded, and said they had added it to my file.
Out of curiosity, did you mention having another interview? I want to send an ITA email but not sure how to word it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any sense in applying again if I was rejected post-interview? I got to mention and update them about most of my gap year activities, but I do have a few new ones. However, I am hesitant to apply again because I wasn't even waitlisted. They just rejected me.
spontaneous23
Full Member
Out of curiosity, did you mention having another interview? I want to send an ITA email but not sure how to word it
I did mention that I had another interview! I think it makes it clear that you're definitely required to be in town on that date and are trying to reduce costs if possible. I wouldn't worry too much about wording because they're the only school I know of that literally encourages you to send these emails. Just say you're gonna be in the city on that day and understand that things are hard to accommodate but if being considered for an interview, it would be great if it was on that day.
D
deleted996731
Still haven’t got anything either and was complete around the same time. I emailed them and asked to add a document to my app and they did so. I think that they are just behind on verifying apps but they definitely have it.Submitted regular MD 7/25 and no complete yet. Should I email them or wait? I figure they might be swamped with a lot of applications to verify.
I would also ask Cornell what you can do to be a stronger applicant for this cycle. Most admission committees are very willing to give feedback as to why you were not accepted previously and it shows a genuine interestBearing in mind that I’m just an applicant and don’t know anything, I think even the fact that you got an interview shows that you had a good shot. The vast majority of applicants don’t get an II, so clearly they liked something about your app. I would personally apply again but it’s up to you. Good luck either way!