2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
There are three brief essays on the M.D. Supplemental Application. Please limit each statement to no more than 1,500 characters including spaces. Note: Please do not answer question three if you are attending college during the 2019-2020 academic year.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.

Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2019-2020) academic year, what are your plans? (Optional)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Weill Cornell Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys I am an applicant from last cycle who was admitted. Although I decided to go to another school I would love to provide feedback on anything or answer any questions you all may have!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I am an applicant from last cycle who was admitted. Although I decided to go to another school I would love to provide feedback on anything or answer any questions you all may have!

Thanks! Were you an MSTP applicant? What turned you away from Cornell? What was most attractive?

Thanks! Were you an MSTP applicant? What turned you away from Cornell? What was most attractive?
I was just a normal MD applicant! The high cost and lack of good financial aid from them turned me away, and the super high cost of living in NY. The school itself is awesome, the faculty and staff are really nice, and they have great facilities. The location is also great. But all of that could not convince me to pay hundreds of thousands more overall for med school lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on your interview, what do you think was the most appealing/most talked about part of your application? Also, what part of Cornell did you find to be most attractive to you, if any?

Based on your interview, what do you think was the most appealing/most talked about part of your application? Also, what part of Cornell did you find to be most attractive to you, if any?
They really went into detail on my personal statement. They asked me a lot about it and asked me to expand on what I talked about. They also both asked me why I wanted to go to school out of state and why I liked the area. It was a very easy conversation, and both really wanted to know more personal details on my life. I think the most attractive part of Cornell is really the location. I don't remember anything else really popping besides that it seemed like a very exciting place to be.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just a normal MD applicant! The high cost and lack of good financial aid from them turned me away, and the super high cost of living in NY. The school itself is awesome, the faculty and staff are really nice, and they have great facilities. The location is also great. But all of that could not convince me to pay hundreds of thousands more overall for med school lol.

Mind if you share what your stats were like and whether you are URM, target school etc. Thanks!

• Angry
Can you do your PhD training as an MSTP student at Cornell University? Also, is BME an acceptable PhD? I can't find it on the website...maybe it's not. There are labs that really interest me, but they're all the way at Ithaca, rather than in NYC.

Secondary received at 8:50 EST.

Regular MD Prompts are:

There are three brief essays on the M.D. Supplemental Application. Please limit each statement to no more than 1,500 characters including spaces. Note: Please do not answer question three if you are attending college during the 2019-2020 academic year.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.

Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2019-2020) academic year, what are your plans? (Optional)

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 4 users
Is cornell one of the schools that sends secondaries prior to AMCAS verification? I listed cornell as one of my schools for the initial AMCAS submission and I havent heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was in my junk folder. I hate how some of these secondaries automatically get filtered out.

Checked my spam, all I had was a scam email from someone pretending to be the daughter of a late Libyan president :cryi:

Have any MSTP applicants received the Tri-I secondary yet?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Received + Submitted

Is there a way of knowing whether your letters were received after submission?

Anyone else not get a secondary yet?
LizzyM >80, no IAs, so confused as to why I haven't gotten mine yet haha. Here and one other school are the only ones on my list to not have sent me secondaries yet.

Anyone else not get a secondary yet?
LizzyM >80, no IAs, so confused as to why I haven't gotten mine yet haha. Here and one other school are the only ones on my list to not have sent me secondaries yet.
same

Wondering if anyone has any insight on this...

I originally decided to not apply here because Cornell does not accept AP Credit and I did not take any inorganic chem labs in my time as an undergrad. However, I really do like the school, so would it be theoretically possible to take it at a community college in the months before I start if I were to hypothetically get in?

Did anyone else notice that the instructions say 1500 characters but the space allows for 1525?

Can someone post the MD/PhD Secondary Questions?

"Enter the name(s) and institutional affiliation(s) of evaluators who will send letters individually to AMCAS, not as part of a packet. Enter only letters from the three most relevant sources."

Does this mean I should only send 3 letters? or enter in the top 3 letters I prefer them to read?

"Enter the name(s) and institutional affiliation(s) of evaluators who will send letters individually to AMCAS, not as part of a packet. Enter only letters from the three most relevant sources."

Does this mean I should only send 3 letters? or enter in the top 3 letters I prefer them to read?

I submitted 5, entered my top 3.

Anyone else having trouble submitting it? I've been trying to press the submit and pay button and it just gives me the loading wheel

Just got an email saying an email with the link to the secondary was on its way.

Reactions: 2 users
Finally got the MD-PhD secondary!

Prompts (all 1500 characters):

1) Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to the Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program.

2) Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

3) If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2019-2020) academic year, what are your plans?

4) Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you would like to do research. You do not need to list reasons. Names are sufficient.

5) Letters of recommendation: Enter the name(s) and institutional affiliation(s) of evaluators who will send letters individually to AMCAS, not as part of a packet. If you are submitting a premed packet or a packet through a careers office, only enter the school's name.

Secondary (MD) received.

Prompts are the same as MD/PhD except (4) isn't on the application.

Also the nicest looking 2° I've filled out!

Is the application page not working for anyone else? The entire page is unresponsive for me

for the question "
If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2019-2020) academic year, what are your plans? (Optional)"
Can I answer this if I am graduating in December 2019? I will be attending school for the first half of the 2019-2020 academic year and taking a gap semester for the second half.

for the question "
If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2019-2020) academic year, what are your plans? (Optional)"
Can I answer this if I am graduating in December 2019? I will be attending school for the first half of the 2019-2020 academic year and taking a gap semester for the second half.
Same here. I didn't answer it because there is a part that says "Do not answer question 3 if you will be attending school during the 2019-2020 year"

Will it seem strange if my committee letter is not in this top three? I do have a committee letter (not packet, not composite, just from the pre-med board) that I sent to them, but I personally feel that my other letters speak much better to my character and experiences, and are frankly probably stronger than whatever the committee letter says.