2019-2020 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did any other previously waitlisted applicants get the choose your medical school email from Jean today?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewees, how many others were there on your interview day? I have my interview tmw!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just need to know if there was sufficient coffee for breakfast? Anyone?

If anyone else is interviewing Jan 17th and wants to check out a local climbing gym & brewery with me send me a PM. Heard a lot of great things about the school from a friend who was in the 2nd graduating class and I'm super excited to check out Kalamazoo!

Anyone else waiting to hear back from their phone II. Completed since late October

Anyone know when the first batch of scholarships is released? I know they said the first will be in December

Did anyone else see this on their website?:

"The medical school does not admit or enroll students who: [...] use tobacco products including cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, smokeless tobacco, snuff, nicotine gum, nicotine patches, e‑cigarettes [...] All applicants who accept an offer of admission are required to undergo testing prior to matriculation or during the Transition to Medical School course for alcohol, tobacco (which screens for cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, smokeless tobacco, nicotine gum, nicotine patches, e‑cigarettes, and vaporizers) [...] Applicants who refuse to be tested, and applicants whose initial and second test results are positive and who do not have an appropriate prescription, are in violation of this policy, will have their admission rescinded, and will not be permitted to re-apply for admission for one year."

Not that I smoke, but this seems overly harsh. Is this common at other schools as well?? Rescinded admission because you smoked a cigar??
I asked about this when i interviewed two years ago because it struck me as odd. It struck me as somewhat logical but also potentially puritanical. My interviewer wasn't aware of why, but did assure me that he never got the sense that "moral" or "religious" views of donors don't impact the curriculum or experience. So I guess it's just a public health thing maybe. TBH I doubt they had issues with med students smoking near patients or campus anyway but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW do you think WMED is done sending out phone interviews? I haven't heard anything since the initial review like 3-4 months ago and I'm still really interested. Is it too soon to send an update perhaps reiterating my interest? I am a reapplicant.

BTW do you think WMED is done sending out phone interviews? I haven't heard anything since the initial review like 3-4 months ago and I'm still really interested. Is it too soon to send an update perhaps reiterating my interest? I am a reapplicant.

If you have a significant update, I'd say go for it.

"The medical school does not admit or enroll students who: [...] use tobacco products including cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, smokeless tobacco, snuff, nicotine gum, nicotine patches, e‑cigarettes [...] All applicants who accept an offer of admission are required to undergo testing prior to matriculation or during the Transition to Medical School course for alcohol, tobacco (which screens for cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, smokeless tobacco, nicotine gum, nicotine patches, e‑cigarettes, and vaporizers) [...] Applicants who refuse to be tested, and applicants whose initial and second test results are positive and who do not have an appropriate prescription, are in violation of this policy, will have their admission rescinded, and will not be permitted to re-apply for admission for one year."

Not that I smoke, but this seems overly harsh. Is this common at other schools as well?? Rescinded admission because you smoked a cigar??

Almost every school I’ve seriously considered has a similar statement on their website or in their student handbook.

Notice, they give you two chances to pass the test before pulling your offer. If you can’t pass this simple little screening in two tries, you must not be taking becoming a doctor too seriously.

Almost every school I’ve seriously considered has a similar statement on their website or in their student handbook.

Notice, they give you two chances to pass the test before pulling your offer. If you can’t pass this simple little screening in two tries, you must not be taking becoming a doctor too seriously.

It’s not just that it is deep in a handbook somewhere but that it is one of the first things I read when researching the school. It certainly left a bad impression with me.

One of the things the test checks for is alcohol and student affairs has an event for new students at a brewery the Friday before classes start on Monday lmao. Look it’s a saliva test and you take it once on your first day. Don’t be a jack ass and smoke a cig or something the day of or Sunday night and you’ll be fine.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the financial aid offer and had to close the tab before I got a panic attack lol. Question for current students, do they tend to offer scholarships later in the season/how common is it to get merit or need based aid?

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the financial aid offer and had to close the tab before I got a panic attack lol. Question for current students, do they tend to offer scholarships later in the season/how common is it to get merit or need based aid?

Panic Attack? Why's that? They are definitely on the more affordable end in terms of medical school tuition (especially since rent in Kalamazoo is so low).

Getting the financial information was significantly less exciting than receiving the acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
Panic Attack? Why's that? They are definitely on the more affordable end in terms of medical school tuition (especially since rent in Kalamazoo is so low).

lol you must not be from Michigan

Based on previous posts, it seems like they always send out decisions on Tuesdays.. since next Tuesday is Christmas Eve, should we expect to hear back today? (I interviewed on 12/6 and they said we will hear before Christmas)

Based on previous posts, it seems like they always send out decisions on Tuesdays.. since next Tuesday is Christmas Eve, should we expect to hear back today? (I interviewed on 12/6 and they said we will hear before Christmas)
They told us 12/13 interviewees that'd we'd also hear back before Christmas! Since they're probably going to send decisions in one batch I'd give them at least another week to work through our group.

Late post but got an II two days ago ! (Phone interview back in October) I thought I bombed my phone interview but I guess the saying is true that's it not what you say but how you say it. lol. It's a Christmas miracle!

(Time to resume Rocky Training mode)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
II after having my phone interview in August lol. Will likely be turning this one down though so hope one of yall gets it!

Does anyone know if they are done giving out phone interviews?

lol you must not be from Michigan

Is cost of living cheaper elsewhere in Michigan? Most of the places I have lived had rent range from 700-1500 for a single person with roommates, so definitely on the more expensive side.

Is cost of living cheaper elsewhere in Michigan? Most of the places I have lived had rent range from 700-1500 for a single person with roommates, so definitely on the more expensive side.

In Kalamazoo, you can get that for $400-$500 a month.

Just got a II after my phone interview months ago. :)

In Kalamazoo, you can get that for $400-$500 a month.

Hence my comment that WMed seems to be on the more affordable end compared to most medical schools (affordable being a relative term given we are all probably spending 6 figures on pursuing a medical education).

Last edited:
Also got a II today from my phone II back in October!

Edit: I scheduled my II for 01/31 but I’m going to be ITA (relative to CA) on 01/14. Do you think it’s an ok idea to let them know and ask to be let know if anyone for 01/10 cancels? I start a new job on the 16th and don’t want to immediately ask for 2 days off. Also if anyone is willing to swap with me lmk and maybe we can work something out.

Last edited:
Also received a phone II today! Complete in July

Damn these new II’s don’t make me feel good about waiting for my decision post-II

Phone II today after being complete in early August, experience review completed sometime in September IIRC. Pleasantly surprised, I thought I was done for. Anyone know the phone II -> on-campus II rate?

Phone II today after being complete in early August, experience review completed sometime in September IIRC. Pleasantly surprised, I thought I was done for. Anyone know the phone II -> on-campus II rate?

50%

Damn these new II’s don’t make me feel good about waiting for my decision post-II
I wouldn't. They are interviewing up till February, so it was inevitable that they would send out more interviews. I also thought I was screwed when other people were getting phone interviews far after I had mine

Also got a II today from my phone II back in October!

Edit: I scheduled my II for 01/31 but I’m going to be ITA (relative to CA) on 01/14. Do you think it’s an ok idea to let them know and ask to be let know if anyone for 01/10 cancels? I start a new job on the 16th and don’t want to immediately ask for 2 days off. Also if anyone is willing to swap with me lmk and maybe we can work something out.
if you don't mind me asking, when was your phone interview?

Phone II yesterday at around 2 pm PST! Complete August 12th lol

Waitlisted just now. Previous accepted people off the waitlist, did you send any updates? Didn’t see very clear answers before in the thread to this question.

Accepted off waitlist! I loved WMed, so excited!!!

Reactions: 9 users