2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe we all have one! Mine is Christopher Vu. He told me I can submit any updates/letters to the portal as supplemental material.
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
From Christopher Vu (the admissions counselor for the Pomona campus):
"If there are no changes from the last time you submitted your transcripts, you do not need to resubmit them. We will pull the ones you submitted prior. "

@bassquiat @vdmb14

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all!

Did anyone receive this email, and if so, do you know what it means or could indicate? I received this email on December 13.

"Thank you for your patience as we continue through the process of selecting the class of 2024. Your application to the DO program has been reviewed and is still under consideration for an interview.

We have filled our scheduled interview days for the fall semester. In January we will open additional interview days. Your application is still in consideration for an interview. If you are selected, you will receive an email message giving you a link to choose your interview day and an invitation to the pre-interview mixer the day before your interview."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

Did anyone receive this email, and if so, do you know what it means or could indicate? I received this email on December 13.

"Thank you for your patience as we continue through the process of selecting the class of 2024. Your application to the DO program has been reviewed and is still under consideration for an interview.

We have filled our scheduled interview days for the fall semester. In January we will open additional interview days. Your application is still in consideration for an interview. If you are selected, you will receive an email message giving you a link to choose your interview day and an invitation to the pre-interview mixer the day before your interview."

When did you get it? I got it in December

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
From Christopher Vu (the admissions counselor for the Pomona campus):
"If there are no changes from the last time you submitted your transcripts, you do not need to resubmit them. We will pull the ones you submitted prior. "

@bassquiat @vdmb14
Awesome. That's what figure but thank you for double checking on that!

I know your signature only says most likely westernu-comp, but I was wondering if you could share what you liked about western/why you're leaning towards western since you have so many options? Congrats on all the As btw O:
Pros:
-Western tuition is at market rate (compare to Arizona COM)
-School's new curriculum seems great
-Only have to be on campus 2-3 days per week year 1
-Rotations seem good for now, pending encroachment from the other newer Socal MD schools. From what I've seen, Western U has built enough of a rep to remain competitive for rotations
-Minimal osteopathy lab
-Residency placement is as good as you could ask for from a DO school (see placement into UCI residency in 2018)
-Rotations are all around Southern CA (other schools would have you move out of state for them) This is a huge win for me

Cons:
Pomona as a city is a little bad
Socal traffic
Anyone care to add?

Pros:
-Rotations seem good for now, pending encroachment from the other newer Socal MD schools. From what I've seen, Western U has built enough of a rep to remain competitive for rotations
-Minimal osteopathy lab
-Residency placement is as good as you could ask for from a DO school (see placement into UCI residency in 2018)
-Rotations are all around Southern CA (other schools would have you move out of state for them) This is a huge win for me

Cons:
Socal traffic
Anyone care to add?
Sent this man a huge PM haha. So I answered it from perspective as well. Pretty much his all your points and some of my own personal reasons as well.

I live about an hour from from campus (my hometown, I’ll be living on campus next year). The traffic isn’t really a con for me, I’ve lived in SoCal all my life, I’m used to it lol.

Last edited:
Pros:
-Minimal osteopathy lab

Cons:
Socal traffic
Anyone care to add?
As for the cons, Pomona is pretty meh of a city but the surrounding cities are pretty nice and have good food. we are also far enough East that there really isn’t much traffic unless you try to head into DTLA

Hi all!

I got this email and since my stats are lower than average I was thinking a rejection was coming but actually got an II today!!! The current spots open this month were Jan 16th and 30th! I’m from San Diego and this would be ideal, hoping there’s a chance to get in with a 504 MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know which email/where to send letters of interest?

This may have been asked before, but does anyone know which email/where to send letters of interest?
Contact your admissions officer friend (just email the letter to them and they'll upload it)

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact your admissions officer friend (just email the letter to them and they'll upload it)

Hey I gotta submit an update too just wondering what you mean by admission officer friend?

Hey I gotta submit an update too just wondering what you mean by admission officer friend?

Oh, friend was meant for the person lol. Admission officer/counselor is the person assigned to our applications and helping us get through it I guess. Mine was Mr. Vu but I would call to see if yours is a different person.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

+1. Did anyone see dates available other than 1/16? It's basically impossible for me to get a flight that interview date :(
There were dates on the 16th and 30th but the 30th filled pretty quick unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

+1. Did anyone see dates available other than 1/16? It's basically impossible for me to get a flight that interview date :(

If it is nothing major drop it and attend.

I got this email and since my stats are lower than average I was thinking a rejection was coming but actually got an II today!!! The current spots open this month were Jan 16th and 30th! I’m from San Diego and this would be ideal, hoping there’s a chance to get in with a 504 MCAT

That's amazing! Congrats :)
Still awaiting news on my end but remaining hopeful!

Any interview day and interview feedback/tips from anyone who interviewed here this cycle?

Congrats! You got an interview so stay positive and confident! Do you mind sharing your GPA?

I am in a similar boat. I emailed admission but I haven't heard back yet, and now the 16th is completely full. I assume and hope that additional days will open up.

Still hoping to get an interview here! Got the consideration email as well on 12/13!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted students have to submit the second half of their deposit ($2,000 total) by 01/15/20 and if they don't their offer is withdrawn, so I am assuming after this they will have a better idea of how many open seats they have and will adjust waitlist/send out II

Any interview day and interview feedback/tips from anyone who interviewed here this cycle?

Just be yourself, relax, and smile! know your application of course but mostly just be a good and kind person

I really should be freaking out, but somehow I’m not. I hope the panel interview will be casual and not like an interrogation. Good luck to 1/16 and 1/30 candidates!!!

Speaking of casual, what would you advise one to wear to their pizza social thing? My poor soul has one suit and I am scared of ruining it before the actual interview.

I and a few others wore a button up and and chinos/jeans, others wore normal t-shirts and casual clothes. It doesn’t have any impact on your interview/decision, just a great casual opportunity to learn more about the school from student experiences :)

Last edited:
Speaking of casual, what would you advise one to wear to their pizza social thing? My poor soul has one suit and I am scared of ruining it before the actual interview.
don’t wear a suit lol it’s super causal but obvy still look nice. i would recommended jeans and a collared shirt.

Anyone heard back form the 01/09 interview yet?!

I just submitted my secondary (kinda late I know). On the status page it says they haven't received my LORs or CASPer. My LORs were in my AACOMAS primary so idk why they wouldn't have received them. I just logged into CASPer to submit but I only see WesternU-Lebanon as an option. Advice?

I just submitted my secondary (kinda late I know). On the status page it says they haven't received my LORs or CASPer. My LORs were in my AACOMAS primary so idk why they wouldn't have received them. I just logged into CASPer to submit but I only see WesternU-Lebanon as an option. Advice?
In terms of the LORs, I think that's normal. The same thing happened to me where it took a while after submitting for them to "reverify" the LORs again. I wouldn't worry about the LORs. In terms of the CASPER, maybe try to double-check for "College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific." Also, have you already sent your CASPER to Western Pomona beforehand and forgot about it? If I remember correctly, as you signed up for the test, you get to assign schools right away. I’d recommend checking all your past deliveries from that CASPER test and see if Western COMP DO is already done. If you did, in my experience, it also took a while for my CASPER test score to go into WesternU's system so that might be why your CASPER test score isn't in yet as well.

Last edited:
Do they cover financial aid info at the interview or should I still sign up for the online presentation on a separate day?

They check LORs manually, so they won't show up as received until then. It says on their website that the two schools share your casper so I don't think it matters which one you send it to but you can still e-mail admissions to check

Do they cover financial aid info at the interview or should I still sign up for the online presentation on a separate day?

Very briefly. I was accepted and am thinking about signing up for one as well

They check LORs manually, so they won't show up as received until then. It says on their website that the two schools share your casper so I don't think it matters which one you send it to but you can still e-mail admissions to check

Very briefly. I was accepted and am thinking about signing up for one as well
Where did you hear about the online presentation? I’m definitely interested but I don’t remember anything about that.

Where did you hear about the online presentation? I’m definitely interested but I don’t remember anything about that.
They sent me multiple emails regarding it, I would search your email for some thing in regards to western and Financial Aid.