2020-2021 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The first ranking meeting was this past Tuesday on 12/11. The second ranking meeting will be on 2/5/19. Scoring for each candidates discussed were tabulated this week and will generate rank order. The PIs of the first 16 accepted will be contacted, probably starting next Monday. Discussion regarding your passion for research, your involvement in the research project and how well you got along with the research team will be discussed. This will take about a week, so the earliest that the first 16 accepted will hear from Dr. Franco, is after 12/20-12/21. Generally, the first 16 will be notified just before Christmas. Good luck to all!

Only the first 16 accepted PIs will be called. I am not sure if acceptance calls have already been made by Dr. Franco, and whether or not those accepted will post here. It would be helpful information for everyone if you are one of the first 16 to acknowledge a CCLCM acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From the 2018 thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the best time to send them an update/ letter of interest if you interviewed in early November? The update would include a mid author publication

Does anyone know the best time to send them an update/ letter of interest if you interviewed in early November? The update would include a mid author publication
I’d say before the first committee meeting but that has passed; so as long as you do it before their second which is in feb you should be good

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think acceptance calls will be made this week? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Pre-II R just now, complete early September. Good luck to the rest of you waiting for decisions!!

• Care
Pre-II R just now too, complete early November. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear back!

• Care
Pre-II R here. Good luck everyone else!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
My knees are weak and my arms are heavy. Good luck to everyone tomorrow (or whenever calls start going out)!

late July

Thanks! Wow they are really random in terms of complete dates haha. Submitted late aug and praying to get an II as CCLCM is my top choice. Good luck on your interview and congrats again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Occasionally, PI's are called to verify research involvement as part of the adcom's due deligence but has nothing to do with acceptance. I guess the first 16 accepted to CCLCM so far haven't come out of the wood work or just want to remain anonymous. Best of luck and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Well this is disheartening, in the same thread a guy had a pi call but got waitlisted so here's more info for anyone else who's neurotic and anxious about the upcoming decisions

I mean if I were them I wouldn't waste a call on someone I was definitely going to reject! So who knows if it means a definite acceptance but I think it's probably a sign they're at least seriously considering you
I agree, I have seen a few situations where student's PIs were called that didn't lead to an acceptance but I think that the vast majority do. They called my PI Monday and my PI seemed to think that was a very good sign but didn't give me many more details on the call. I am also wondering if decision are coming out today!!

This is my top choice, interviewed two months ago but PI didn't get a call. I would guess that a call is a good sign but no call doesn't mean you are outright rejected -- just far less likely to be accepted than someone whose PI received a call (based on previous CCLCM SDN threads).
Would it be better to send a letter of intent closer to the February review or does the timing make no difference? Honestly figured I'd just get the LoI over with since this is my top choice anyway but unsure if it would get buried by Feb.

This is my top choice, interviewed two months ago but PI didn't get a call. I would guess that a call is a good sign but no call doesn't mean you are outright rejected -- just far less likely to be accepted than someone whose PI received a call (based on previous CCLCM SDN threads).
Would it be better to send a letter of intent closer to the February review or does the timing make no difference? Honestly figured I'd just get the LoI over with since this is my top choice anyway but unsure if it would get buried by Feb.
I’d send it anyways but I think the last couple of years some waitlist’s are announced near New Year’s Eve. Then again, who knows maybe you’re one of the first 16 and won’t have to worry about it!

Would it be appropriate to email your previous PI to see if they got a call? lol I moved from NYC to the west coast and not sure if he got a call! Also who else is anxiously awaiting a call for the A!? How many offers go out in the whole cycle?

Would it be appropriate to email your previous PI to see if they got a call? lol I moved from NYC to the west coast and not sure if he got a call! Also who else is anxiously awaiting a call for the A!? How many offers go out in the whole cycle?
I groupMe'd mine and probably embarrassed myself with my response when he told me he was getting a call from them. Def email the worse they can do is be silent. and 32 offers total, more sent only as people from the 32 withdraw

Wait I thought Dr. Warren said that all interviewees not accepted in December are thrown back into re-evaluation for the next batch? :O
They very well could be, I just remember reading on a bunch of the old threads that some people were immediately put on the waitlist with the reevaluation still happening and some people didn't hear back at all until February

@D.Y. @ClevelandClinicStudent Any word on when calls are being made/if they have already been made?
No clue. It's always later than you expect, could be possibly next week or maybe after Christmas. I would expect that calls would go out before Jan 1 but I don't know if any of the timeline has changed for this year.

No clue. It's always later than you expect, could be possibly next week or maybe after Christmas. I would expect that calls would go out before Jan 1 but I don't know if any of the timeline has changed for this year.
Sweet thanks for the response!

J

Just the first 16!
Just a heads up, at my interview last week I was told they are accepting fewer than 16 in December this year and leaving more for February. So if you aren't accepted in the first round there are more spots than usual in the next round!

Reactions: 5 users
Just a heads up, at my interview last week I was told they are accepting fewer than 16 in December this year and leaving more for February. So if you aren't accepted in the first round there are more spots than usual in the next round!
Oh sweet thanks for the heads up! They happen to mention anything about pi calls, accepted student calls?

Does anyone know how the second round of acceptances works? Do they re-rank candidates from a larger pool or do they accept the next 16 that they had previously ranked from the first round?

Does anyone know how the second round of acceptances works? Do they re-rank candidates from a larger pool or do they accept the next 16 that they had previously ranked from the first round?
They say their alternate list is not ranked but they might have two lists internally who knows

but have people actually been called or will it happen like this week? lol just need to see if I should be anxious on my phone lol

but have people actually been called or will it happen like this week? lol just need to see if I should be anxious on my phone lol
No ones reported having been called but hoping to hear back before Jan

Last edited:
Unless something has changed, everyone is ranked from the larger pool for the second round of acceptances. I was in the 2nd set of 16 and I interviewed after they had announced the first 16, so evidently the 2nd set of 16 isn't just from the first set of rankings.

I GOT THE CALL FROM DR WARREN I GOT MY NUMBER ONE CHOICE :OOO

• Love
Reactions: 20 users