2020-2021 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey all! Got an II for not too far out (maybe filling a cancellation?) either way super pumped but nervous about this group interview!

I was wondering if anyone who already did it could comment on the average length of responses and if there was any back-and-forth between applicants? I heard a horror story from someone where they went 1st at a similar thing and spoke for ~10s and everyone else gave super long answers and I'm tryna not have that happen to me (or worse- the reverse!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! Got an II for not too far out (maybe filling a cancellation?) either way super pumped but nervous about this group interview!

I was wondering if anyone who already did it could comment on the average length of responses and if there was any back-and-forth between applicants? I heard a horror story from someone where they went 1st at a similar thing and spoke for ~10s and everyone else gave super long answers and I'm tryna not have that happen to me (or worse- the reverse!)
I haven't gotten an II, but do you mind sharing when you were complete?
 
Hey all! Got an II for not too far out (maybe filling a cancellation?) either way super pumped but nervous about this group interview!

I was wondering if anyone who already did it could comment on the average length of responses and if there was any back-and-forth between applicants? I heard a horror story from someone where they went 1st at a similar thing and spoke for ~10s and everyone else gave super long answers and I'm tryna not have that happen to me (or worse- the reverse!)
any one willing to weigh in? Not looking for any NDA secrets but just really nervous about flow!!
 
Does anyone (especially current students) know what the adcoms are looking for from the group interview? Interviewed last week and felt like I didn't do so hot during that part, so I'm a little concerned about how it'll be evaluated. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone (especially current students) know what the adcoms are looking for from the group interview? Interviewed last week and felt like I didn't do so hot during that part, so I'm a little concerned about how it'll be evaluated. Thanks!
Hey! can't help here, sorry! but I'm hoping you can answer my question - what was the average timing like per answer on this part and was there any opportunity for back and forth or is it just like an interview but taking turns lol?
 
Hey! can't help here, sorry! but I'm hoping you can answer my question - what was the average timing like per answer on this part and was there any opportunity for back and forth or is it just like an interview but taking turns lol?
From my memory of this - there wasn't any back and forth though I did reference someone else's answer at one point. Like they went before me and then I said "I really relate to X's answer on this because I also..." (side note both X and I were accepted). In terms of timing - I would say maybe we answered for a minute each? I wouldn't worry too much about your length compared to someone else's. Make sure you're concise without being abrupt so the minute mark should be decent. Also for one of my questions the interviewer asked me a follow up to my answer and I think that was the only situation where that happened. Seriously, don't compare yourself too much to the other students. It's a little nerve wracking and I understand comparing yourself to others but I heard form students who had their entire interview group accepted so it's actually not a competition.
 
Can anyone comment on the schedule of the interview day? I at least want to know how long I can expect to be on zoom for work purposes!
It’s very long and you won’t know your schedule until one of the introduction sessions of the interview day. But they coordinated it very well so you won’t get lost.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could any current students speak on how stressful the clinical years are here at Emory with the letter grading system?
 
Hey Everyone, If I have a second update to add in the portal, will it remove my first update or will both be visible ?
 
Hey Everyone, If I have a second update to add in the portal, will it remove my first update or will both be visible ?
Pretty sure I read in this thread that since it's only one text box, they want us to add it below the previous update(s) and date each update. Check behind me though, I think it was a page or two back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I live in rural America, and the info packet isn't going to get to me before my interview (tomorrow). Would anyone be able to let me know what is included via PM or this thread? I would really appreciate it!
Nobody on my interview day even got one! (I suspect they forgot to send them out for our date as its been quite a while and still nobody has received them.) It's general information about the school, the financial aid, and life on campus. Admissions has pdf copies of each of these things and are very kind, and would likely email them to you if you asked 🙂
 
Did anyone send thank you emails to the interviewers? They kinda told us not to but I want to send one to my one-on-one interviewer, he was really friendly and welcoming
 
Nobody on my interview day even got one! (I suspect they forgot to send them out for our date as its been quite a while and still nobody has received them.) It's general information about the school, the financial aid, and life on campus. Admissions has pdf copies of each of these things and are very kind, and would likely email them to you if you asked 🙂
Thanks so much for offering!! They ended up them emailing them out today to us as well 🙂