2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have not gotten an II but am curious about my chances:

I was complete in September.

I am an ORM applicant but have low SES and lived in a medically underserved inner-city. I have 1000+ clinical service hours in my community addressing health disparities and getting low-income people health coverage. I have a strong dedication to my community and others like it (which I can articulate pretty well I think?), I definitely recognize the barriers to health that come with race, gender, SES, religion/culture; since I have experienced some of these and helped alleviate some for others as well.

I am adamant about going into Primary Care in underserved areas, and am even going to apply to Primary Care commitment scholarships (if accepted).

HOWEVER, (its a big "however" haha) I am a low MCAT applicant (502), but do have a 3.6 sGPA and cGPA.

Has anyone with a similar profile as mine gotten an interview or even better accepted to this school? If so, what advice can you give?
 
I have not gotten an II but am curious about my chances:

I was complete in September.

I am an ORM applicant but have low SES and lived in a medically underserved inner-city. I have 1000+ clinical service hours in my community addressing health disparities and getting low-income people health coverage. I have a strong dedication to my community and others like it (which I can articulate pretty well I think?), I definitely recognize the barriers to health that come with race, gender, SES, religion/culture; since I have experienced some of these and helped alleviate some for others as well.

I am adamant about going into Primary Care in underserved areas, and am even going to apply to Primary Care commitment scholarships (if accepted).

HOWEVER, (its a big "however" haha) I am a low MCAT applicant (502), but do have a 3.6 sGPA and cGPA.

Has anyone with a similar profile as mine gotten an interview or even better accepted to this school? If so, what advice can you give?

I haven't gotten an interview or been accepted, but I just wanted to say that you sound wonderful.
 
For people with IIs, how long did you wait between the email that said your application had been reviewed to getting it?

This is the email I’m referring to:

“We have received and reviewed your AMCAS Primary and Secondary Applications for admission consideration for the M.D. degree program at Howard University's College of Medicine.” etc etc
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I feel as though it was a pretty fast turn around time. Vin, I'm pretty sure you're right about 9/16 being the first interview day if I recall correctly.
Thanks! I feel as though it was a pretty fast turn around time. Vin, I'm pretty sure you're right about 9/16 being the first interview day if I recall correctly.

What was the interview like? What did they ask?
 
What was the interview like? What did they ask?

Probably one of my poorer interviews to be honest. It's 2 individual interviews, each with a faculty member. The first one was forgettable. There were connection issues that made it difficult to fully answer the questions and the interviewer wasn't giving me many non-verbal cues. The questions from him were pretty standard, like any you'd find if you searched up "medical school interview questions" on google. The second interview was much more fluid. The interviewer and I were able to bond over some shared academic interests and there were absolutely no connection issues. It was more of a conversation between friends than a standard interview, which always makes it easier to answer questions. With any interview though, you should be prepared to answer why you want to specifically attend their school.

I don't know if that helps at all. I hope it gives you some idea of what to expect come interview day.
 
Probably one of my poorer interviews to be honest. It's 2 individual interviews, each with a faculty member. The first one was forgettable. There were connection issues that made it difficult to fully answer the questions and the interviewer wasn't giving me many non-verbal cues. The questions from him were pretty standard, like any you'd find if you searched up "medical school interview questions" on google. The second interview was much more fluid. The interviewer and I were able to bond over some shared academic interests and there were absolutely no connection issues. It was more of a conversation between friends than a standard interview, which always makes it easier to answer questions. With any interview though, you should be prepared to answer why you want to specifically attend their school.

I don't know if that helps at all. I hope it gives you some idea of what to expect come interview day.
My first interview was super super conversational. My interviewer really wanted to just learn about me as a person so it was very relaxed. The second one was a bit more stressful at first but after about 10 mins he warmed up to me and it became more of a conversation. He asked lots of unconventional questions about how I rate myself in different categories at first but then it became a conversation.
 
For people with IIs, how long did you wait between the email that said your application had been reviewed to getting it?

This is the email I’m referring to:

“We have received and reviewed your AMCAS Primary and Secondary Applications for admission consideration for the M.D. degree program at Howard University's College of Medicine.” etc etc
I got mine 15 days after I got that email and 11 days after I was complete.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y’all! Complete on 10/15. Quick question. I was wanting to send an update letter/letter of intent, but I wasn’t sure when to do so. Before an interview invite, after an interview, both? What do y’all think? What have y’all known people to do?
 
Hey y’all! Complete on 10/15. Quick question. I was wanting to send an update letter/letter of intent, but I wasn’t sure when to do so. Before an interview invite, after an interview, both? What do y’all think? What have y’all known people to do?

I have seen people write a letter of intent after their interview, more when its been some time after the interview. Ive seen people write one when they were placed on the waitlist too
 
Hey y’all! Complete on 10/15. Quick question. I was wanting to send an update letter/letter of intent, but I wasn’t sure when to do so. Before an interview invite, after an interview, both? What do y’all think? What have y’all known people to do?
Never send one before an II. Its pretty pointless and they see you as desperate. The best time to send one is if you're waitlisted, or if significant time has passed after your interview
 
Hey y’all! Complete on 10/15. Quick question. I was wanting to send an update letter/letter of intent, but I wasn’t sure when to do so. Before an interview invite, after an interview, both? What do y’all think? What have y’all known people to do?
I’ve had a mentor and an advisor say that as long as you have something significant to update them on, it’s fine to send an update letter before an invitation invite. In fact, it might make the difference in whether or not you are considered for an interview. You send a letter of intent after time has passed after an interview.
 
anyone that has interviewed wanna give me some details about the interview day
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They provided me with these dates: 11/10, 11/17, and 11/24. So it seems like they aren’t scheduling too far out, so if you haven’t heard back yet I wouldn’t freak out. There are plenty of dates available! They did say they interview 8-10 people per interview day.
That’s good to know! I am definitely freaking out but there’s still a bunch of time to find out