2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today. Dates in Sept/Oct. OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thats awesome dude! Congrats! Do u mind sharing ur stats?
Thank you : ) I am pretty excited. Iowa is definitely one of my top choice schools. I had about an 89%ile MCAT and 3.66, but I truly believe IA looks at applications and tries to understand the human beings behind them, their story, etc, more than metrics, based on my experiences with the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary? Verified July 30

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone, I added this school a bit late and was wondering how long they take to send a secondary?

Hi everyone, I added this school a bit late and was wondering how long they take to send a secondary?
They take long and send them in batches (not sure how they stratify applicants but probs some combo of the usual stats/ECs stuff). For reference, I was verified in June and received the secondary 8/06.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Their screen from MSAR in case you're wondering: "Overall and BCPM GPA 3.0. If not 3.0, we require 20 hours science post baccalaureate or graduate work at 3.5 or higher. MCAT score must be 500 or higher to receive a secondary application."

Their screen from MSAR in case you're wondering: "Overall and BCPM GPA 3.0. If not 3.0, we require 20 hours science post baccalaureate or graduate work at 3.5 or higher. MCAT score must be 500 or higher to receive a secondary application."

Thank you. I guess they are just spreading the secondaries out then, because I would have passed that screen automatically.

Just to be clear- all interview times are listed in Central time, right? This is my first II and my first cycle and I’m in EST so I don’t want to make a silly mistake

Just to be clear- all interview times are listed in Central time, right? This is my first II and my first cycle and I’m in EST so I don’t want to make a silly mistake
Yep! Iowa is CST

Iowa please send me a secondary. I’m sorry I didn’t know of you early on but after reading about you and your city on the website, I’ve made a special place for you in my heart.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Iowa please send me a secondary. I’m sorry I didn’t know of you early on but after reading about you and your city on the website, I’ve made a special place for you in my heart.
Tell me about it, the school seems fantastic. I'd love a secondary (added them 8/1).

Has anyone had issues with the bio with lab prereq requirement? My undergrad doesn’t offer gen bio with lab so typically we take gen bio 1 and gen bio 2 and then a 3 credit intro bio lab. I submitted my secondary with those listed but when I emailed them to make sure it covered the requirement they said I needed another additional lab course. Do you think my clinical anatomy course with lab would cover it? Or a 2 credit gross anatomy lab? I’m waiting for them to respond again but I’m nervous. I got an interview here last year and nothing was ever said about that requirement not being met by what I listed on my secondary. Thanks!

How long did it take for you guys to be marked complete? Everything but my LORs is complete and it's been 2 days.
My LORs were complete right away but it took me ~4 days to be fully complete because my payment took a while to register on the portal

Received II 30 minutes ago! OOS, ORM, LM80, Complete 8/7

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
for the activities section, what are you guys putting for end date if the activity is being continued? I don't want them to think my hours include forecasted hours if I put my end date in the future

Last edited:
for the activities section, what are you guys putting for end date if the activity is being continued? I don't want them to think my hours include forecasted hours if I put my end date in the future
I was worried about the same thing so I just put my end date as 8/2020 to avoid confusion about hours!

I was worried about the same thing so I just put my end date as 8/2020 to avoid confusion about hours!

interesting, i was just thinking about putting my future end date (to not contradict my primary) and assuming that they knew I would follow directions by not including future hours. im sure either way works.

Anyone still waiting on a secondary? Primary verified 7/23

interesting, i was just thinking about putting my future end date (to not contradict my primary) and assuming that they knew I would follow directions by not including future hours. im sure either way works.
I was told by an adcom (not at Iowa though) that its best to not predict future hours bc can be very confusing/inaccurate, but to state in your response It would be continued (so that it doesn't cause any confusion in regards to how many hours you've worked over that period of time) but obviously different adcoms are different. I did the same by using 08/2020 as my end date to prevent any confusion, but I also did 06/2020 on my primaries. Hoping they can make the assumption that I only did completed hours

also, meant to add the only issue if you include future end date but not forecasting hours is that it then may look like your hours are diluted if they don't assume you did it that way

Just received secondary today. IS, primary verified on 7/28.

II! OOS with no ties, LM 70, secondary submitted 7/21, complete 7/24. Worth noting that I'm a reapplicant here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II as well!! :) OOS, Regular MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Any MSTP II?
Still waiting to hear from the MSTP as well. I wouldn't worry too much though as Iowa seems to have pushed back their MSTP interviews this year. First one is normally mid-September and the MD/PhD interview/revisit calendar shows their first interview date this cycle is 10/8. More waiting for us! o_O

Still waiting to hear from the MSTP as well. I wouldn't worry too much though as Iowa seems to have pushed back their MSTP interviews this year. First one is normally mid-September and the MD/PhD calendars shows their first interview date this cycle is 10/8. More waiting for us! o_O
Ah, gotcha. Thank you for the info!!

Secondary received! OOS, verified 7/30

Finally received my secondary today. I just submitted my secondary and paid, but unlike other schools, there hasn't been an email or portal confirmation yet.

II today! Complete 8/20, IS, Dates throughout September.

II today! Complete 8/20, IS, Dates throughout September.
Wow complete on 8/20 is a super fast turnaround!! Fingers crossed my 8/20 complete is quick too. But I’m OOS (interviewed last year but R)

Wow complete on 8/20 is a super fast turnaround!! Fingers crossed my 8/20 complete is quick too. But I’m OOS (interviewed last year but R)

Yeah I was shocked my last secondary would turn into my first interview lol. I'm sure if you interviewed last year you'd be at the top of their list for a fast turnaround!

Iowa is amazing at rewarding reapplicants who take into account their post-interview feedback -- so hopefully you'll be hearing back soon! They re-interview a lot.