2019-2020 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I moved up another spot on the IS list this morning.. hopefully it keeps moving!
The movement must be under us... I moved from #16 to #15 today

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be withdrawing my spot in the class. Hoping this goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else feeling incredible drained with this waitlist movement, or more so lack thereof. It is so taxing to see so little movement and to know you are waiting for a shot that likely will never come.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be interesting to know how many of the accepted students have committed to enroll.. so we could have some measurement of how much movement could potentially be left

Reactions: 3 users
It can’t be all over yet right?! :( This would literally be a record low OOS WL movement haha

Reactions: 1 user
It can’t be all over yet right?! :( This would literally be a record low OOS WL movement haha

I think WL movement has been slow across all schools this year likely due to COVID. Even though Iowa is ranked and moves automatically, we will have to wait for the accepted OOS students to get accepted off other waitlists and withdraw from Iowa to see more movement. Stay hopeful!

I think WL movement has been slow across all schools this year likely due to COVID. Even though Iowa is ranked and moves automatically, we will have to wait for the accepted OOS students to get accepted off other waitlists and withdraw from Iowa to see more movement. Stay hopeful!
I spoke with admissions, it is not entirely automatic, and they don’t check how many people they can offer acceptances to off of the waitlist every day. If you’re sitting high on the waitlist, I’d give them a call and ask if there’s any information they can share or when they expect to be able to share it.

I spoke with admissions, it is not entirely automatic, and they don’t check how many people they can offer acceptances to off of the waitlist every day. If you’re sitting high on the waitlist, I’d give them a call and ask if there’s any information they can share or when they expect to be able to share it.
Ooh this is great info! Thank you!! I wonder what is considered “high”? I just don’t know anymore :confused:

Moved up another spot on the IS list

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy for you guys on the IS list. It's a little heartbreaking on the OOS at the moment. No sign of movement whatsoever. Still only 3 spots total.

I'm happy for you guys on the IS list. It's a little heartbreaking on the OOS at the moment. No sign of movement whatsoever. Still only 3 spots total.

I think they do over-accept for the OOS pool but not the IS pool. If one person withdraws from the IS list it for sure moves the WL, whereas when an OOS person withdraws they have to make sure they are confident they won’t extend more offers than seats so it doesn’t always mean the waitlist will move. Later on they’ll probably feel more comfortable with accepting more off the waitlist once they know who is more likely to commit. If you look at previous threads the OOS waitlist seems to move in June whereas the IS slows down a lot then. This is all a theory and your best bet is talking directly with admissions, but i would remain at least cautiously optimistic.

I think they do over-accept for the OOS pool but not the IS pool. If one person withdraws from the IS list it for sure moves the WL, whereas when an OOS person withdraws they have to make sure they are confident they won’t extend more offers than seats so it doesn’t always mean the waitlist will move. Later on they’ll probably feel more comfortable with accepting more off the waitlist once they know who is more likely to commit. If you look at previous threads the OOS waitlist seems to move in June whereas the IS slows down a lot then. This is all a theory and your best bet is talking directly with admissions, but i would remain at least cautiously optimistic.
If that is the case then all of our OOS movement would have to be waitlist withdraws right? As they wouldn’t extend more acceptance offer from the waitlist until enough students withdraw and they are under filled for their OOS slots?

This is so stressful. I assumed they would have overadmitted the same amount as last year and movement would still happen similarly just slower bec of everything going on but it honestly seems like this year might be a major OOS anomaly. It seems all movement has been WL withdrawal and not actually acceptance withdrawals which is so crazy!:(

Does anyone have IS waitlist movement data from past years handy?

MSAR showed 12 IS applicants and 54 OOS applicants were accepted off the waitlist last year. I think from threads in earlier years 12 was a record low for movement, which was typically in the 20-30s.

MSAR showed 12 IS applicants and 54 OOS applicants were accepted off the waitlist last year. I think from threads in earlier years 12 was a record low for movement, which was typically in the 20-30s.

Yeah there’s really no knowing if you’ll get off. There’s been random years for both IS and OOS where movement was way lower than usual.

Do we think some people still are holding multiple A just for fin aid reasons? The traffic day things are just like suggestions not enforced right? This is like my only hope for future WL movement LOL

This is so stressful. I assumed they would have overadmitted the same amount as last year and movement would still happen similarly just slower bec of everything going on but it honestly seems like this year might be a major OOS anomaly. It seems all movement has been WL withdrawal and not actually acceptance withdrawals which is so crazy!:(

Because they increased the number of OOS students they accept at Carver, its possible they over-over-admitted based on the number of applicants they expected to withdraw. The more variables you change, the harder it is to predict what the waitlist movement will be like. Right now the % of OOS students accepted has changed, the overall AAMC waitlist rules changed last year, Covid-19... theres just too much noise that makes this year hard to compare to previous years.

• Sad
Because they increased the number of OOS students they accept at Carver, its possible they over-over-admitted based on the number of applicants they expected to withdraw. The more variables you change, the harder it is to predict what the waitlist movement will be like. Right now the % of OOS students accepted has changed, the overall AAMC waitlist rules changed last year, Covid-19... theres just too much noise that makes this year hard to compare to previous years.
My heart is sad :(

moved up another spot on this IS list.. now into the single digits!!

While the waitlist movement has been low this year for Iowa so far, you have to give them props for being so transparent about admissions. So many other schools waitlist way more applicants then they could take and don’t tell you where you stand on the waitlist, inspiring some false hope. I wish every school ran the waitlist like Iowa.

Did anyone else OOS get that email just now with subject “Hello from Iowa City” and think that they suddenly moved like 30 spots and made it HAHAH
What a nice email I LOVE THIS SCHOOL PLS LET ME IN

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Moved 1 spot today on the OOS waitlist.

E6EC1190-9D35-4596-A193-87E01C27068E.jpeg

• Haha
Anyone think our class is going to be virtual in the fall?

Reactions: 2 users
I am curious, how much has the IS waitlist moved so far this year total?

I am curious, how much has the IS waitlist moved so far this year total?
19 spots... I'm at #2 right now, It's moved on average about 1 spot per day this past week so we'll see what happens. Trying not to get too optimistic based on what happened with the waitlist last year lol

19 spots... I'm at #2 right now, It's moved on average about 1 day the past week so we'll see what happens. Trying not to get too optimistic based on what happened with the waitlist last year lol
Wow! I got screwed last year haha. Whatevs, all good. The waitlist is a pain in the butt, good luck to all!

Wow! I got screwed last year haha. Whatevs, all good. The waitlist is a pain in the butt, good luck to all!
Just curious, was there any movement after the surge during the first week or two of May?

Just curious, was there any movement after the surge during the first week or two of May?
Yes, not a whole lot. I think I moved a few times in June. Definitely would guess there to be a few more spot spared within the next 3 weeks. Using my experience as evidence, although it already has moved more this cycle so far than total last year.

Yes, not a whole lot. I think I moved a few times in June. Definitely would guess there to be a few more spot spared within the next 3 weeks. Using my experience as evidence, although it already has moved more this cycle so far than total last year.
Thanks, thats encouraging!

19 spots... I'm at #2 right now, It's moved on average about 1 spot per day this past week so we'll see what happens. Trying not to get too optimistic based on what happened with the waitlist last year lol
You have two spots to go? I’m pulling for you!

I’m guessing you’re #1 now?

Yes I am! Hopefully I’ll hear back from them sometime soon and my fingers are crossed that it’ll keep moving for the rest of you

The university announced last Friday that undergraduate courses with a census 50< are going fully online for the upcoming fall semester.

I’m not sure how the medical school operates with respect to the undergrads, but the writing is on the wall.

The university announced last Friday that undergraduate courses with a census 50< are going fully online for the upcoming fall semester.

I’m not sure how the medical school operates with respect to the undergrads, but the writing is on the wall.

There was a town hall yesterday where the CCOM dean gave an update. From the recap:

He notes that this fall’s group of M4 students, who have been away from patient care experiences for the past couple of months, will return June 1 to continue their advanced clinical clerkship electives. This fall’s M3 students will return July 6 for core clinical clerkship experiences. For pre-clinical M1 and M2 students, virtual instruction will continue in some capacity but in-person instruction also is being planned. Also, in accordance with national recommendations, medical residency programs this fall will offer only virtual interviews to students seeking residency opportunities.

I am guessing that means all online lectures, with in-person meetings for things that cannot be done virtually (anatomy lab, clinical skills, etc).

Last edited:
There was a town hall yesterday where the CCOM dean gave an update. From the recap:

He notes that this fall’s group of M4 students, who have been away from patient care experiences for the past couple of months, will return June 1 to continue their advanced clinical clerkship electives. This fall’s M3 students will return July 6 for core clinical clerkship experiences. For pre-clinical M1 and M2 students, virtual instruction will continue in some capacity but in-person instruction also is being planned. Also, in accordance with national recommendations, medical residency programs this fall will offer only virtual interviews to students seeking residency opportunities.

I am guessing that means all online lectures, with in-person meetings for things that cannot be done virtually (anatomy lab, clinical skills, etc).

idk how I feel about it being virtual if that does happen. What do u all think?

I am a (very) recent graduate, but a majority of the class treated the preclinical lectures as virtual already. People just watched the recorded lectures and did just fine. There were quite a few required lectures but I think they could be scrapped: visitors, problem-based learning, and other things. If you are someone who needs to ask questions, maybe you will find it lacking, but email works just fine. So as long as they are able to keep anatomy lab, clinical skills, and maybe CBL in-person, I don't think it will feel that different. If they have to scrap anatomy and clinical skills stuff, I think the experience would be significantly different, but the class would survive.

I am a (very) recent graduate, but a majority of the class treated the preclinical lectures as virtual already. People just watched the recorded lectures and did just fine. There were quite a few required lectures but I think they could be scrapped: visitors, problem-based learning, and other things. If you are someone who needs to ask questions, maybe you will find it lacking, but email works just fine. So as long as they are able to keep anatomy lab, clinical skills, and maybe CBL in-person, I don't think it will feel that different. If they have to scrap anatomy and clinical skills stuff, I think the experience would be significantly different, but the class would survive.

Congrats on graduating Cawolf! As a soon to be M3, I agree with Cawolf. In the end, every med school is going to be dealing with this in the coming months. Who knows what the fall will bring. For all we know states could open up and be back in social distancing by Nov/Dec. I've learned to roll with the punches and take what comes at me. One thing I can say for Carver, I feel like they are doing everything they can to give a positive experience given the current limitations. From what I've heard from friends, that is not the case everywhere.

So virtual interviews are a definite now? Yikes.

So virtual interviews are a definite now? Yikes.

The AAMC has encouraged all interviews (medical school, residency, fellowship) to be virtual, and different specialties have released their own guidance - but I think at this moment it is still up to the school/program to make their own decision (could be wrong though).

I have moved 4 spots this week on the OOS list. Does anyone know if this is people withdrawing from the waitlist or people declining acceptance offers? I am in the low 30's for reference.

I have moved 4 spots this week on the OOS list. Does anyone know if this is people withdrawing from the waitlist or people declining acceptance offers? I am in the low 30's for reference.

There’s no way to know for sure unless you talk to someone at the top of the waitlist or to admissions, but if I had to guess it’s a combination of both.