2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any IS applicants not receive a secondary yet? I was verified on 7/29 so I suppose it hasn't been that long, but I was just wondering. That feeling of betrayal from your undergrad is strong haha.

You aren't alone! IS verified by AMCAS on 7/14 and this is my only school not to send me a secondary lol. First one I pre-wrote too.

Members don't see this ad.

For the coursework section, did you guys put all the courses you've ever taken for Biology and Chemistry or just list the courses that satisfied the requirements? It didn't specify for those two so I wasn't sure.

Have not received a secondary(do they heavily prescreen?) and verified 6/10...my stats are not awful so should I contact them?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the coursework section, did you guys put all the courses you've ever taken for Biology and Chemistry or just list the courses that satisfied the requirements? It didn't specify for those two so I wasn't sure.
I just did whatever satisfied the reqs

Reactions: 1 users
What are people's reasons for wanting to go to Iowa / live in Iowa City, especially OOS folks?

What is a typical week like for M1/M2? How much required PBL / lab is there compared to lectures?

What are people's reasons for wanting to go to Iowa / live in Iowa City, especially OOS folks?

What is a typical week like for M1/M2? How much required PBL / lab is there compared to lectures?
I HIGHLY recommend listening to the All Access: Med School Admissions podcast. Episode 9 is all about Carver and has answers to all those questions and good advice on answering most of the secondary questions. I used info from this to help me brainstorm for the "Why Iowa" essay.

Reactions: 3 users

As far as location goes, Iowa City has a lot of the things you would expect to find in a larger city, but in a smaller package and without some of the negatives such as heavy traffic. There’s a nice downtown area with lots of cool shops, art, music, culture - kind of a typical college town that is able to do a lot with a little. There’s also a lot of great outdoors things to do (yes Iowa is not just a giant corn field). Tons of hiking, boating, state parks to explore. For me, I’m a big mountain biker and they have one of the best mountain biking parks I’ve been to, which surprises a lot of people when they’re not from the area lol.

Reactions: 1 user
IS applicant, verified 8/3 and have not received a secondary. Do they seem to be sending them out in order of verification?

IS applicant, verified 8/3 and have not received a secondary. Do they seem to be sending them out in order of verification?
It doesn't seem like it :/ someone posted a couple days ago that they were verified 6/10 and still hadn't received a secondary. I was verified 7/10 and no secondary yet

I was verified June 18th. Haven't received one either. Anyone reach out to the school?

Members don't see this ad :)

I’m OOS, from Illinois. Most Illinoisans you meet will tell you we hate it here, lol. At any given time there are more residents leaving the state than entering, mostly due to issues such as the state budget (we didn’t even have one for years) and unstable economy. I would give an arm and a leg to be able to live in Iowa, because then I could stay in the Midwest and be relatively close to family, but in a state I actually like. I’ve also visited Iowa City a lot and love the overall atmosphere and student body. I second Zen Arcade’s comment about the downtown areas and music scene and things like that. I almost came here for undergrad, in fact, because I loved the liberal arts feel of the campus.

Not sure if any of that can be said in an actual essay, but hopefully this can give you an OOSer’s perspective!

Any IS applicants not receive a secondary yet? I was verified on 7/29 so I suppose it hasn't been that long, but I was just wondering. That feeling of betrayal from your undergrad is strong haha.

IS still waiting. No love lol, verified 7/17.

For whoever already has the secondary, do they have an "additional info" section?

OOS secondary received. verified 7/1

Iowa-kun gave me my MSTP secondary <3 Finally <3

• Love
Hey friends. Just got the secondary this morning and am seeking guidance. What exactly qualifies as medically related? If they mean strictly clinical, this question is much more clear, but idk if thats what it means, so im having a hard time finding where to draw the line. Here are some activities im not sure I should include (none are direct patients contact):
-Basic science research for an eye disease
-organizing a free clinic
-data entry intern for a health app
-over the phone volunteer recruiter for covid testing site
-pre med exclusive scholarship
-being part of a pre med honor society
-being part of a premed club
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey friends. Just got the secondary this morning and am seeking guidance. What exactly qualifies as medically related? If they mean strictly clinical, this question is much more clear, but idk if thats what it means, so im having a hard time finding where to draw the line. Here are some activities im not sure I should include (none are direct patients contact):
-Basic science research for an eye disease
-organizing a free clinic
-data entry intern for a health app
-over the phone volunteer recruiter for covid testing site
-pre med exclusive scholarship
-being part of a pre med honor society
-being part of a premed club
Thanks!
Not sure if I did it the right away but I included activities similar to yours in addition to my typical direct patient contact ones. I chose to interpret "medically related" pretty loosely since they avoided using the word "clinical." I think (hope?) it would be fine either way since they can refer to our primary for clarification if needed.

Edit: I didn't add any medically related clubs or scholarships or anything because I felt like that was kinda pushing it

Not sure if I did it the right away but I included activities similar to yours in addition to my typical direct patient contact ones. I chose to interpret "medically related" pretty loosely since they avoided using the word "clinical." I think (hope?) it would be fine either way since they can refer to our primary for clarification if needed.

Edit: I didn't add any medically related clubs or scholarships or anything because I felt like that was kinda pushing it
Hahaha I eventually came to the same exact conclusion! Glad to have some corroboration :)

Did they mention whether or not u need to list every course youve taken for the ones they do give boxes for? The prompt isnt super clear
I didn't ask about it and they didn't say anything. Only that those are the 4 subjects we have to fill out

Any word on IS applicants and secondaries? Hate to CCOM leaving us dry like this :(

• Sad
Hello! Can you please tell me when you were verified?

heyyyy i was verified 5/28; I submitted on the first day as soon as it opened. they were done 6 hours later. Iowa is taking their time and they said they won't actually start reviewing applications until the end of the month, so you have nothing to worry about, fishberry <3

if you're still worried though, i don't think the mstp will mind you sending them a nice email :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
heyyyy i was verified 5/28; I submitted on the first day as soon as it opened. they were done 6 hours later. Iowa is taking their time and they said they won't actually start reviewing applications until the end of the month, so you have nothing to worry about, fishberry <3

if you're still worried though, i don't think the mstp will mind you sending them a nice email :)
awesome thank you!!!!

• Care
OOS Secondary. Verified 7/14. I never thought it would come

i am stuck on the second one bc my diversity and challenge essays are very unrelated, and it is hard to tie them together in 1500 characters. Did anybody just write about what makes them unique and not mention overcoming obstacles or is that misinterpreting the prompt? thanks

Still waiting for that IS secondary lol

• Sad
For the English requirement, it says "2 courses (composition and literature)". I got my English requirement taken care of at my undergrad by coming in with AP credit giving me credit for 2 courses of "composition" classes, and I took a few other writing-intensive courses in the social sciences and philosophy. Which 2 courses should I put in the box for the English requirement? I understand I have composition credit, but I don't know what to classify as "literature."

for "medically-related experiences" would fundraising for a hospital count? I was very involved with my sorority's philanthropy, but idk if it's too indirectly related to medicine.

Just received secondary. Verified 7/16 OOS

How long did it take for the portal to reflect that you paid the secondary fee? I submitted my app today and paid (bank app shows the payment went through) but it isn’t showing as complete on the payment area.

How long did it take for the portal to reflect that you paid the secondary fee? I submitted my app today and paid (bank app shows the payment went through) but it isn’t showing as complete on the payment area.
It took me a few days. I'm pretty sure they go through and mark it manually

Still waiting for an IS secondary lol. Should I reach out to them?

• Sad
got mstp 2* today! OOS. verified 7/22

• Care
Does anyone know if this place is rolling admissions?

Yes Carver does rolling admissions. They famously release acceptance emails/calls every Tuesday (or every other Tuesday) at 3:00 PM from mid-October through mid-January, and then release a final decision for every applicant in mid-March.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone including their translational lab research experience in the medical-related activities? Also, are people putting their posters/publications/abstracts in this section if they are related to clinical research or translation research?

Is anyone including their translational lab research experience in the medical-related activities? Also, are people putting their posters/publications/abstracts in this section if they are related to clinical research or translation research?
No, I didn't.