2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Iowa is amazing at rewarding reapplicants who take into account their post-interview feedback -- so hopefully you'll be hearing back soon! They re-interview a lot.
That’s great to hear! I got awesome critical feedback from them post interview and tried my best to use it!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
II today! Super excited it's my first of the cycle. OOS, secondary complete 8/12

Reactions: 1 users
for their LOR requirements, what counts as "academic" and "non academic"?

Members don't see this ad :)
for their LOR requirements, what counts as "academic" and "non academic"?
I took it as "academic" = professor at your university/PI you do research for and "non-academic" to mean people related volunteer experiences, shadowing, anything not at your Uni

People get II whereas I am still waiting for the secondary.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Iowa is amazing at rewarding reapplicants who take into account their post-interview feedback -- so hopefully you'll be hearing back soon! They re-interview a lot.
Currently an M1 at CCOM and I agree with this. I was a re-applicant, did exactly what they told me to do and I got in. PM if you have questions. Goodluck!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Seems like Iowa wants to send out all their II's before sending out secondaries to people waiting for them.

Seems like Iowa wants to send out all their II's before sending out secondaries to people waiting for them.
There were many, many, many interview dates open in September when I scheduled my interview, so they certainly haven't burned through all their II's. I do get that it's really frustrating to still be waiting on a secondary, but there is so much hope for you!

Secondary Received Yesterday, 8/31 4:11 Central Time. OOS.
Submitted Today

Edit: Verified 7/28

Last edited:
Got my II today. Honestly floored and confused. IS, MCAT 510, gpa 5.5something (honestly can’t remember). Secondary received 8/12, completed 8/27. Queer but not sure that makes me a URM. Very very confused but also excited
Love to see fellow queer applicants! Best of luck!

• Care
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
II! Complete 8/20 OOS w ties, 4.0, 524

Reactions: 3 users
II received 9/2, IS applicant complete 9/1.

3.8/523, although I think they interview almost all of their IS applicants. Best of luck to you!

Anyone missing a secondary? Transmitted 8/13
They manually send them out and are quite slow -- some people waited weeks for a secondary, others a couple days. Especially if you're OOS, hang in there for a while longer!

Still waiting to hear from the MSTP as well. I wouldn't worry too much though as Iowa seems to have pushed back their MSTP interviews this year. First one is normally mid-September and the MD/PhD interview/revisit calendar shows their first interview date this cycle is 10/8. More waiting for us! o_O
Hi again! Can you please post the link for where you see the interview date? All I'm finding online are last year's dates.

Hi again! Can you please post the link for where you see the interview date? All I'm finding online are last year's dates.
Every year, one of the most involved MSTP administrators in the national MD/PhD program association asks for calendar updates from peer directors and administrators. Her work benefits the entire community. It typically will be up and running by August or early September. The limiting factor is for programs to make their minds about dates and then send them to her. I just post the link for information to applicants.

I don't know if this is what Snaketail is referring to but it's a calendar of MD/PhD interview dates compiled from official sources! Here's the calendar link: MD-PhD Interviews and Revisit Days

(Edit: link wasn't working??)

Last edited:
II Received !!!! Secondary Received 9/2, was marked as complete yesterday (9/8)!! - IS applicant

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think it takes them longer to review reapplicants? I'm going crazy comparing my timeline last year to this year. Last year I got an II 12 days after being complete (applied a little later and received II beginning of October), and this year it's been 19 days already. I know I'm being neurotic. OOS

Do you think it takes them longer to review reapplicants? I'm going crazy comparing my timeline last year to this year. Last year I got an II 12 days after being complete (applied a little later and received II beginning of October), and this year it's been 19 days already. I know I'm being neurotic. OOS

Based on how fast it was for me and other IS people I feel like they put IS in a different stack than OOS.

Based on how fast it was for me and other IS people I feel like they put IS in a different stack than OOS.
Yeah seems like it! I really liked Iowa when I interviewed last year and would love another opportunity. I'm spending my time today being neurotic instead of finishing the rest of my secondaries.

@Snaketail 1) You are KILLING IT 2) I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR BIGGEST FAN <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Omg ilysm :love:. Literally same to you!! Go knock 'em dead at those interviews!

Last edited:
  • Love
I totally read your post as 12 IIs in one day. LOL

• Haha
Daughter received II. Oos .4.0. 519. 10/2 interview date .Md

II, OOS, MCAT 511, 3.9 GPA, with small friendship ties to current students
Top OOS choice! Super excited and very nervous

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! No need to be nervous, obviously earned it. Would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Me again, I'm the neurotic one from the Wednesday. II today, OOS, complete 8/20, reapplicant (interviewed last year --> final pool --> rejection). Lots of days open in the first few weeks of October!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Me again, I'm the neurotic one from the Wednesday. II today, OOS, complete 8/20, reapplicant (interviewed last year --> final pool --> rejection). Lots of days open in the first few weeks of October!

grats kenken. BUT ALSO AND ONEEEEE BABY CERTAIN SEASON OF EARLY PERIOD OF LIFE, excited for my first II

I just got a secondary lol. Jesus.

I am still waiting on mine :O
When did you add this school?
From the very beginning. I was verified July 1. Submitted June 3rd. Transcript got lost smh.

• Sad
Congrats! Can you please share when you were complete?

Took me over a month to receive the secondary earlier this week. Submitted right away though so hopefully they'll have some II's left to give

In regards to the prerequisites, do we fill out all the classes or just the minimum requirements? Also, it doesn't ask for the grades. Should we also include the grades? thanks

Last edited:
II just now! Complete 8/21, OOS 3.84/513

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users