2020-2021 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said we could submit updates, so I suppose you could upload an LOI. Definitely not one of the schools where it's expected or likely to have much of an impact, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Any recent interviews or any other news from here recently? I’ve reached out to admissions to inquire about the application cycle, but the person replying to the emails is very dismissive and vague...

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent interviews or any other news from here recently? I’ve reached out to admissions to inquire about the application cycle, but the person replying to the emails is very dismissive and vague...
Is it Paul White replying to the emails?

Reactions: 1 user
Is it Paul White replying to the emails?
I’m not sure, though I doubt the assistant dean of admissions would be replying to applicants’ emails. Whoever is replying doesn’t use any identifying information and simply signs with “Office of Admissions, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.” I haven’t had the most pleasant experiences corresponding with them - maybe I’m reading too much into it as a neurotic medical school applicant, but as compared to all other schools I’ve corresponded with throughout the cycle, the person replying to emails at Hopkins admissions seems annoyed at emails/concerns/questions and the way they reply to emails is a bit passive-aggressive in my personal experience...

Has anyone here sent in a pre-II update letter or asked the admissions office about sending one? I read that they don't accept them, but started a job at Hopkins over a month back and think the experience has been quite valuable.
They don't accept pre-II updates. From their website: "We cannot accept any updates or additional information. Any extraneous materials received will be destroyed." So high risk, no reward in sending one, I think.

I’m not sure, though I doubt the assistant dean of admissions would be replying to applicants’ emails. Whoever is replying doesn’t use any identifying information and simply signs with “Office of Admissions, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.” I haven’t had the most pleasant experiences corresponding with them - maybe I’m reading too much into it as a neurotic medical school applicant, but as compared to all other schools I’ve corresponded with throughout the cycle, the person replying to emails at Hopkins admissions seems annoyed at emails/concerns/questions and the way they reply to emails is a bit passive-aggressive in my personal experience...
Ah, I see. I'm sorry about that ): I personally haven't emailed them, but I have heard from a few others about their experiences & they seem to be similar to yours.

Ah, I see. I'm sorry about that ): I personally haven't emailed them, but I have heard from a few others about their experiences & they seem to be similar to yours.
Yeah, it hasn’t been the best experience emailing with them :( At least I know I’m not the only one who has had this experience. It sucks because I’m scared to email them about anything now.

Anyone who has already interviewed- what as the group meeting with 4th years like? The email doesn’t explain if it’s an info session or a 3rd pseudo interview. Don’t know what to expect
Hi I know this is kind of a late reply haha but I figured I'd answer since others may have the same question! I'm a second year at Hopkins :)

There is a one-on-one interview with a 4th year and they have a say in your decision, as they are part of the admissions committee.
There is also a group meeting or "fish bowl" with a small group of 4th years. This meeting is not an official interview, it's just an informal Q&A session to hold the interviewees while y'all get called for your formal interviews. It is laid back and meant to be enjoyable!

Hope this helps!
Feel free to ask any other questions or PM me if you prefer :D

To confirm, their IIs stop in December right?
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood second year :) sorry for the late reply!

Just wanted to ease some tension here haha
For perspective, I submitted my secondary like 2-3 days before the deadline in late October (anxiety procrastination lol) and I received my II mid-January. So please do not give up all hope in that sense.
I believe I interviewed first week of February and I had the second to last interview my year (2018). However, due to COVID it is very possible that they may have a few more interview dates than previous years, though I cannot confirm as I am not on the admissions committee. This is just my educated guess based on how Hopkins has been handling COVID so far :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood second year :) sorry for the late reply!

Just wanted to ease some tension here haha
For perspective, I submitted my secondary like 2-3 days before the deadline in late October (anxiety procrastination lol) and I received my II mid-January. So please do not give up all hope in that sense.
I believe I interviewed first week of February and I had the second to last interview my year (2018). However, due to COVID it is very possible that they may have a few more interview dates than previous years, though I cannot confirm as I am not on the admissions committee. This is just my educated guess based on how Hopkins has been handling COVID so far :)
And, the ember of hope burns on🔥 Thank you for this feedback!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What was the email about? I haven't received anything. Was it only for interviewees? I haven't gotten an II but was complete in July
Looks like it was just interviewees. Its just a description of the curriculum.

That was cruel lol. Especially with decisions coming in the next couple weeks o_O

Reactions: 3 users
anyone else get an email with a description of their Genes to Society Curriculum? Also do people who interviewed early November hear back on Dec 15 or late Jan?

anyone else get an email with a description of their Genes to Society Curriculum? Also do people who interviewed early November hear back on Dec 15 or late Jan?
yup also got the curriculum email pretty sure they sent it to all their interviewees. Not sure about when you'd hear back but where did you get the Dec 15 date from?

yup also got the curriculum email pretty sure they sent it to all their interviewees. Not sure about when you'd hear back but where did you get the Dec 15 date from?
MSAR days December 15th is the earliest day...but last year's MSAR said the earliest decision date was December 14th and decisions were released December 13th (one day before hmmmmm)

To add more fuel to the neuroticism, here are the dates when As were historically released:

Tuesday, December 13th, 2016
Tuesday, December 12th, 2017
Thursday, December 13th, 2018
Friday, December 13th, 2019

They always release pre-II decisions the weekday before post II decisions, so my guess is pre-II decisions are going to be released Dec 11 (a Friday) and post II decisions Monday, Dec 14th.....

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone know when decisions will be released if you interviewed mid November?

Does anyone know when decisions will be released if you interviewed mid November?
Hopkins releases decisions in two groups.
They should have told you if your interview group decisions would be part of the first or second group. If your interview group is not included in the December group, you will be part of the second group in March.
I interviewed in February, and received my decision on March 28th, 2018! :)

Hopkins releases decisions in two groups.
They should have told you if your interview group decisions would be part of the first or second group. If your interview group is not included in the December group, you will be part of the second group in March.
I interviewed in February, and received my decision on March 28th, 2018! :)

Thank you! Is there also a third end of January group like in previous years?

I interviewed early-mid Nov and I think I remember them saying that we'd hear back in January!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Oop – I don't remember hearing which date on my interview day. Anyone happen to know when mid-October interviewees will hear back?

So I just asked a 4th year to double check and their experience was 3 rounds of interviews and only one round of decisions. So I'm not sure how much they will be following the precedent, especial during ~pandemic times~.
However, I think two rounds is a safe bet and then a possible surprise January round. Especially if some of y'all were told mid-January at your interviews :D if anyone else can confirm what they were told at their interview that'd be helpful! (thanks @roasted_oolong for your post!)

• Care
II today! Dates available first week of Jan

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone completed in late October heard back yet?

If tomorrow is the first post-II decision day, there should be a wave of pre-II decisions today. But its still a few days early, based on historical trend

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted as well! Also early october interview

• Love
Reactions: 13 users