2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They sent me this email...
I received that as well - it's just odd that there isn't a category for "headshot uploads." So I guess my question is what category did you submit your headshot under?

I received that as well - it's just odd that there isn't a category for "headshot uploads." So I guess my question is what category did you submit your headshot under?
List it as an "application update". I thought they told me to in that email but it must have been somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected Pre-II, pretty sad since I interviewed at the Wausau campus last year, totally loved the program, and was rejected post-interview. I had high hopes for this cycle and I wanted to do better but I guess it wasn’t in the stars. Good luck everyone, we will all do great things wherever we may be!

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 16 users
Rejected Pre-II, pretty sad since I interviewed at the Wausau campus last year, totally loved the program, and was rejected post-interview. I had high hopes for this cycle and I wanted to do better but I guess it wasn’t in the stars. Good luck everyone, we will all do great things wherever we may
i'm so sorry. when did you apply? things truly have a way of working out for the best, though it's hard to see during transitions.

i'm so sorry. when did you apply? things truly have a way of working out for the best, though it's hard to see during transitions.
Secondary received 07/13, submitted 07/14, and complete 08/26.

Are there any out of state MCW students I could message about finances and cost of living? I heard MCW really low balls their cost of living estimates and it's stressing me out.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any out of state MCW students I could message about finances and cost of living? I heard MCW really low balls their cost of living estimates and it's stressing me out.

+1. When they said only $1500/month will be given to students as part of their financial aid package (loans) including personal duties (car payment, family, etc) - im like how is that possible. I mean I'm all for cutting down costs and living frugally but also want the independence to take out as much as I need to survive. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just an applicant, but I'd recommend that you look at some hard data in addition to getting some feedback from current students. The cost of living for Milwaukee is 3.0% lower than the national average, but that doesn't really mean too much. I'd look at the cost of living comparison, which will tell you how much it will cost you to keep your same lifestyle in your current city if you do move to WI.

I would also look at a couple of apartments that you'd be interested in. Personal costs will vary greatly, so you really need to do a little research that is specific to you.

Just an applicant but very familiar with MCW and the surrounding area. Happy to chat in PMs to help address any concerns.

Anyone else completed their application in late July and hasn't heard back?

Reactions: 13 users
+1. When they said only $1500/month will be given to students as part of their financial aid package (loans) including personal duties (car payment, family, etc) - im like how is that possible. I mean I'm all for cutting down costs and living frugally but also want the independence to take out as much as I need to survive. :unsure:
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just an applicant, but I'd recommend that you look at some hard data in addition to getting some feedback from current students. The cost of living for Milwaukee is 3.0% lower than the national average, but that doesn't really mean too much. I'd look at the cost of living comparison, which will tell you how much it will cost you to keep your same lifestyle in your current city if you do move to WI.

I would also look at a couple of apartments that you'd be interested in. Personal costs will vary greatly, so you really need to do a little research that is specific to you.

We moved to the Milwaukee area in July from Chicago. It's much much less expensive than Chiago!
im not sure, however, id assume with private lenders you can take out much more. they are probably encouraging people to take as little as possible.

Milwaukee campus II on 11/30, OOS, absolutely no ties, complete early August, LM ~73 WARS.... something, who cares

I think there was an available interview for 12/11, but I couldn't take it because I have another interview that day, so I had to pick a date in January.

Usually never post, but just wanted to anyway to let y'all know there's still hope, this cycle is so wonky and weird, and everyone has a different application path and timeline. All of my apps were complete in late July/early August, and I only just started hearing in the last few weeks (Both R's and II's).

Don't give up hope ever, we're all still in this race until the very last day we can hear.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
so they have started sending out pre II Rs?

I thought they weren't doing that until all interviews were sent out
You should reread the thread.
Rejected Pre-II, pretty sad since I interviewed at the Wausau campus last year, totally loved the program, and was rejected post-interview. I had high hopes for this cycle and I wanted to do better but I guess it wasn’t in the stars. Good luck everyone, we will all do great things wherever we may be!

You should reread the thread.
Right but I'm confused because I thought they stated in an email that pre-ii Rs would not be sent until all interview dates are filled

Do you have to pay the $110 deposit in order to receive a financial aid letter?

Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate for the last cycle? (Specifically for OOS applicants)

Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate for the last cycle? (Specifically for OOS applicants)
Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was very high (something like 80%?). There is a spreadsheet out here on SDN to find the exact %

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was very high (something like 80%?). There is a spreadsheet out here on SDN to find the exact %
Yeah I saw that same thing in last years thread about the previous cycle for 2018-2019. I was hoping it was the same for the 2019-2020 cycle

I interviewed last week and they said we would hear back by the 23rd so *cue the neurotic email refreshing*

• Care
I interviewed last week and they said we would hear back by the 23rd so *cue the neurotic email refreshing*
I was told I would hear back by 11/20 and got an email at about 4 AM EST. It's not gonna be the end of the day for you.

how does this school compare to minnesota twin cities?
There are a million metrics by which you could compare these two schools, so your question doesn't really make sense. You should look at MSAR.

• Haha
There are a million metrics by which you could compare these two schools, so your question doesn't really make sense. You should look at MSAR.
i just meant which is the better school in terms of a program that will get me matched into a competitive speciality outside of the midwest? and financial aid as i think mcw is only need-based and i am OOS for both

does anyone who interviewed on 12/4 remember what day we are supposed to hear back?

i just meant which is the better school in terms of a program that will get me matched into a competitive speciality outside of the midwest? and financial aid as i think mcw is only need-based and i am OOS for both
I know nothing about financial aid at Twin Cities so I cannot attest to any of that.

Being that I am starting the process of prepping my application for ERAS (and while I won't say that what school you attend does not matter at all), when you look at what Program Directors list as decision factors for offering an interview and what they look at while ranking...I have yet to see "Institution Attended" listed as one. It all boils down to you - your efforts, your grades, your research experiences, your volunteer experiences, your letters of rec, your away rotations, your Step scores, etc. The ability to match into a competitive specialty lies more within your internal locus of control rather than what school you attend. Just my input.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
ACCEPTED WOO, interviewed last Friday!! Quickest turn around yet wish more schools were like this !!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
WL today, interviewed 12/11 also. OOS but family ties to MKE. LM 74 WARS 84

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
WL today, interviewed 12/11 also. OOS but family ties to MKE. LM 74 WARS 84
Good luck to you! I know it isn't the news you want to hear, but there is still hope. I was also WL here.

• Care
Good luck to you! I know it isn't the news you want to hear, but there is still hope. I was also WL here.
Looking back through the thread, it seems like there isn't much hope for us. Has there been any WL movement at all or can we expect any at some point down the line or is this really a soft R?

WL :( interviewed last friday too - does anyone have any insight as to what WL movement looks like? I personally loved MCW and would absolutely adore the opportunity to attend if given the chance

• Care
Reactions: 5 users