2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Couldn't resist...

I am once again meme.jpg

but yes, I also second aspiringdoctor9701's question.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
For those in the MD/MPH program, I am a little confused about the new curriculum affecting this program. From my understanding, you do MS1 in Miami, then MS2 rotations in West Palm Beach etc., and then MS3 and MS4 back in Miami if you choose to? Any clarification would be great!
Yeah, that’s right! based on the curriculum, Phase 2 is in Palm Beach

Reactions: 1 user
If we interviewed, but are still awaiting post-II decision, can we / should we turn in financial aid forms? I need that bread thanks 😂

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the MSAR: "Interviews are conducted only at the request of the Office of Admissions and are generally held on selected Mondays and Fridays between the middle of September and the end of April." However, I was scored within a month of submitting my app in Aug. At this point in the game, I can't see the harm in asking the adcom about being scored so you don't slip through the cracks (if you haven't already). It looks like your LM is comparable to those that have been scored. Also, the Adcom said on the interview day that there was no in-state bias.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I sent a letter of interest/update combination a few weeks ago, but I will probably email them again and ask specifically about the scoring because it has been a hot minute (or >6 hot months) since I submitted and I'm a little frustrated wtih logging in and still seeing "admissions screening in progress." Thanks again!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I sent a letter of interest/update combination a few weeks ago, but I will probably email them again and ask specifically about the scoring because it has been a hot minute (or >6 hot months) since I submitted and I'm a little frustrated wtih logging in and still seeing "admissions screening in progress." Thanks again!
Im sitting right there with you - my app has been "currently under review" since I submitted it back in early august. I've sent a couple updates to their admissions email but never got a response (I've this is common for most who sent updates), and my stats are also very much in the ball park of individuals who have been scored (LM around 73). Are you planning on reaching out to admissions? If so how do you plan on wording it?

Im just like - if they haven't responded to my LOI/updates is there use in asking "whats good with my app?" lol

Reactions: 2 users
Im sitting right there with you - my app has been "currently under review" since I submitted it back in early august. I've sent a couple updates to their admissions email but never got a response (I've this is common for most who sent updates), and my stats are also very much in the ball park of individuals who have been scored (LM around 73). Are you planning on reaching out to admissions? If so how do you plan on wording it?

Im just like - if they haven't responded to my LOI/updates is there use in asking "whats good with my app?" lol
tbh I'm still trying to figure out the least snarky way of wording it.

• Haha
tbh I'm still trying to figure out the least snarky way of wording it.
I am in this same situation! I have been wanting to reach out, but also not sure what to say. I have sent two updates, but no response. LM74

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how common/ how much merit aid is typically? The website says " Students who have attained a high grade point average and/or MCAT score are considered for a merit scholarship at the time they are admitted to medical school.," does that mean its basically just based on stats?

I would not re-email. Just call and say you never received confirmation of receipt and ask them to check your file to make sure it was added. I did this with a few schools and they usually check for me as we're on the phone.

Does UM have silent rejections? Also has anyone gotten an interview here with a 504?

Reactions: 1 users
any iis this week?
i know of 1 person who got an II this week. dates available were March 5, 12, 15, and 22. Im assuming the 22nd is the last interview day and i think that last week of March is consistent with the end of interview season of past cycles

Hello! Unsure if this has been asked already, but regarding applying to need-based/merit scholarships, do we have to wait until we receive our formal acceptance letters in the mail? I was accepted last week and I still have yet to receive anything in the mail.

Thanks!

Hello! Unsure if this has been asked already, but regarding applying to need-based/merit scholarships, do we have to wait until we receive our formal acceptance letters in the mail? I was accepted last week and I still have yet to receive anything in the mail.

Thanks!
The mail took a while for me to receive, so since you got the A I’d say you can fill the application out now. Theres no application for merit aid but the others are here: Scholarships and Grants | University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine

Idk how I'm going to last until Mar 24 or later. Loved my interview day and my interviewers but the more I reflect the more I cringe internally at some of my answers. Exhibit A: For my "why Miami" question I had a whole list of things I genuinely love about the school but it was my very first question and I blanked and only touched on 2 of my reasons? Ugh. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
How do you join the FB group for accepted students?
They sent me an email about it at the beginning of February. I'm sure they'll send another email, or you can probably search the group on Facebook and request to join!

Idk how I'm going to last until Mar 24 or later. Loved my interview day and my interviewers but the more I reflect the more I cringe internally at some of my answers. Exhibit A: For my "why Miami" question I had a whole list of things I genuinely love about the school but it was my very first question and I blanked and only touched on 2 of my reasons? Ugh. Good luck everyone.
Don't worry, im sure you did great! I think the adcoms look at your entire profile again when voting on decisions, not just the interview. My experience interview was only 15 mins lmao

wow! is this a thing for the experiential interviews to be like 20 minutes because it actually had me stressed the rest of the day ha ha. that just made me feel so much better.

Anyone who was admitted a week and a half ago still has not received their official acceptance documents in the mail?

I would not re-email. Just call and say you never received confirmation of receipt and ask them to check your file to make sure it was added. I did this with a few schools and they usually check for me as we're on the phone.
I would've done this as this is generally a pretty good way to reach out and ask about app status, but the app portal does have a checklist of the requirements and whether they received them or not. So that makes it a bit harder for me to imagine calling them and asking, "hey, is everything received" :/

Is this school still sending II"s or is the season over?

Does anyone known how many spots they have left for alternate list people? Like is there only 20 more spots left since there is one more decision day or do they let in more people? Thank you!

Their last decision day is March 24 they told us during the interview last week. I believe last interview day is March 22. Now I don't know if all invites have been sent to schedule by then but I assume any last minute ones would be due to cancellations or special circumstances like someone mentioned above

I have an interview this Friday. They have not sent me any information yet and they haven't answered my calls or emails. What do I do?

Their last decision day is March 24 they told us during the interview last week. I believe last interview day is March 22. Now I don't know if all invites have been sent to schedule by then but I assume any last minute ones would be due to cancellations or special circumstances like someone mentioned above
Oh ok. Their website says they interview thru the end of April... is this not up to date/does this not apply this year due to COVID?

Does miami accept letters of intent?
I sent a letter of interest a while ago and never got a response, so...?

Also finally got up the courage to send them a nice "um, what's going on with my application" email. Will let y'all know what I learn.

I sent a letter of interest a while ago and never got a response, so...?

Also finally got up the courage to send them a nice "um, what's going on with my application" email. Will let y'all know what I learn.
Yes, please keep us posted! I have sent two updates and have not received a response. Been under review for 6 months now, and I was also thinking of reaching out. If you do not mind me asking, how did you word your email? I was not sure what to say, considering our status and checklist are very clearly portrayed on the portal.

Yes, please keep us posted! I have sent two updates and have not received a response. Been under review for 6 months now, and I was also thinking of reaching out. If you do not mind me asking, how did you word your email? I was not sure what to say, considering our status and checklist are very clearly portrayed on the portal.
It was a pretty generic. I basically said that my app has been in for a while and still has not been scored, then asked if I'm still being considered!

If I don't hear anything, the next step is a phone call! Still unscored squad, I'll keep you posted on this adventure!

Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone recieved any FA/Scholarship correspondence other than the Feb 1st merit based people?

Has anyone recieved any FA/Scholarship correspondence other than the Feb 1st merit based people?
I haven't heard anything since Feb 1st but I have a friend who is a current student and she told me most people hear by April sometime.

Did anyone who got into the MD/MPH program and MD program get the email from Dean Weisman to choose either the MD or MD/MPH program? Do you know how long we have to decide? Thanks!

Okay, unscored fam, I have info. They responded saying that my app is still waiting to be reviewed and that they're still extending interviews. So, it seems like there's still hope for us. Feels weird to be hopeful after having been in purgatory for so long, but I need some hope today...

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 19 users
Okay, unscored fam, I have info. They responded saying that my app is still waiting to be reviewed and that they're still extending interviews. So, it seems like there's still hope for us. Feels weird to be hopeful after having been in purgatory for so long, but I need some hope today...
Thank you for reaching out to them! I was under the impression that their last interview day is March 22. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, I have a friend who just got an II yesterday, so definitely still some hope!

Theyve historically always ended their interview season in March (even tho the website says April). A friend that got an II last week also showed 3/22 as the last date and someone above was told during the interview day that it was the last day. I guess technically they are still giving II but its really only for last minute cancellations or if like someone influential called on your behalf. I dont wanna be pessimistic but ive always felt being honest is usually the best thing to do. I would mentally consider your chances done at Miller if you havent gotten an invite by now. its just very unlikely unfortunately

Theyve historically always ended their interview season in March (even tho the website says April). A friend that got an II last week also showed 3/22 as the last date and someone above was told during the interview day that it was the last day. I guess technically they are still giving II but its really only for last minute cancellations or if like someone influential called on your behalf. I dont wanna be pessimistic but ive always felt being honest is usually the best thing to do. I would mentally consider your chances done at Miller if you havent gotten an invite by now. its just very unlikely unfortunately
done and done, I never really thought I had a chance here anyway lmaooo