2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Theyve historically always ended their interview season in March (even tho the website says April). A friend that got an II last week also showed 3/22 as the last date and someone above was told during the interview day that it was the last day. I guess technically they are still giving II but its really only for last minute cancellations or if like someone influential called on your behalf. I dont wanna be pessimistic but ive always felt being honest is usually the best thing to do. I would mentally consider your chances done at Miller if you havent gotten an invite by now. its just very unlikely unfortunately
As someone who also hasn’t gotten an interview yet, I almost completely agree with your notion. However, I wouldn’t compare this interview season or “how far it extends” to previous ones because this is incredibly unprecedented times due to COVID. There’s a good chance you’re still probably right, but I’d hesitate to compare this to previous cycles.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who also hasn’t gotten an interview yet, I almost completely agree with your notion. However, I wouldn’t compare this interview season or “how far it extends” to previous ones because this is incredibly unprecedented times due to COVID. There’s a good chance you’re still probably right, but I’d hesitate to compare this to previous cycles.
yeah i totally get you. i guess i just dont see things having changed that much for them due to COVID so i dont see why they'd extend the cycle but i hope for everyones sake on here thats still waiting that they do (friends of mine included)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone sent in an update post-interview and accepted? I haven't heard anything since my interview and I really love the school and want to see if I can increase my chances at getting an acceptance here :')

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent in an update post-interview and accepted? I haven't heard anything since my interview and I really love the school and want to see if I can increase my chances at getting an acceptance here :')
Same boat here! I interviewed in early January and haven't heard anything since. Since this is my top choice and I've been debating if it'd be better to send a LOI before the March 24th decision or wait and send one if I get waitlisted...

Same boat here! I interviewed in early January and haven't heard anything since. Since this is my top choice and I've been debating if it'd be better to send a LOI before the March 24th decision or wait and send one if I get waitlisted...

Send a LOI now and state you will be willing to commit to enroll earlier / drop other IIs and acceptances

Got my merit scholarship today! Do they also give out need based aid?

Has anyone gotten merit aid dated March 1st via snail mail? Trying to see if this batch of aid only went out by email.

Edit: also just got the scholarship email!

Last edited:
Is March 24 the final decision day? I thought we were supposed to hear back 4-6 weeks after our interviews?

Does Miami not tell you if you are rejected? After paying $100+ and spending hours on secondaries, I really think it's unfair for schools to utilize silent rejections.

Reactions: 7 users
Does Miami not tell you if you are rejected? After paying $100+ and spending hours on secondaries, I really think it's unfair for schools to utilize silent rejections.
Yes, this school is one of the worst offenders in terms of not responding to inquiries, taking forever to process documentation, etc. Administratively not on par with most other schools I've dealt with.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is March 24 the final decision day? I thought we were supposed to hear back 4-6 weeks after our interviews?
They meet biweekly until the class is full (historically). The last decisions for MD-MPH are mid-May, and the last MD ones are presumably late June. Every 2 weeks they accept the top 20 off of the MD ranklist and top 12 off of the MD-MPH.

They meet biweekly until the class is full (historically). The last decisions for MD-MPH are mid-May, and the last MD ones are presumably late June. Every 2 weeks they accept the top 20 off of the MD ranklist and top 12 off of the MD-MPH.
Is this even after the March 24 decision day? I am just confused if everyone who is still on the alternate list after March 24 is then considered "waitlisted." Thank you!

Is this even after the March 24 decision day? I am just confused if everyone who is still on the alternate list after March 24 is then considered "waitlisted." Thank you!

I don’t believe so. They’ll meet a bit more frequently when there’s more waitlist movement but it’ll decrease as the cycle ends. It all depends if there’s a lot of movement or not. And you won’t really know the dates they meet so you just have to be patient. And the alternate list is the same as the waitlist. They just call it a different name. So yes, you’ll remain on the waitlist until you hear you were accepted or rejected

when did they get it/when were they complete if you know lol

Not sure exactly but I think they were complete in august. They either got the II late yesterday or this morning

Last edited:
  • Love
How are we feeling about next week's adcom meeting? I've had to increase my daily water intake to compensate for 24/7 sweating. Sending good vibes to all of us and hoping to get that life-changing call.

Reactions: 3 users
so just got news that the final interview date for this season is Monday. So if you weren’t selected for that date, expect a rejection soon

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
For anyone interested in this years matches for the more competitive specialties here are some of the numbers:

5 urology
5 integrated plastics
14 ortho
2 neurosurgery
6 derm
8 ophtho
2 IR integrated
4 ENT

On my phone so can’t put the places but maybe when I’m on a computer I can post the list without ppl’s names

Reactions: 8 users
For anyone interested in this years matches for the more competitive specialties here are some of the numbers:

5 urology
5 integrated plastics
14 ortho
2 neurosurgery
6 derm
8 ophtho
2 IR integrated
4 ENT

On my phone so can’t put the places but maybe when I’m on a computer I can post the list without ppl’s names
idk if it's just me but i'm surprised/amused by the fact that we matched more ortho than Gen Surg (12, if i counted correctly) - something in the water here must be good for bones

My unofficial summary of our list since I'm procrastinating on actual responsibilities and the official de-identified one isn't online yet - probably some errors. I left out prelims but there were a couple prelim only matches, looks similar in number to previous years to me. Not sure on number of unmatched

University of Miami

Anesthesia (10)
- UM/Jackson (6), BWH (2), NYP-Columbia, MGH
Derm (6) UM/Jackson (2), SUNY HSC Brooklyn, Zucker Northwell, Eastern VA, NYU
DR (7) - Tripler, UM/Jackson (2), U Colorado Denver, Mt Sinai Miami, Barnes Jewish, UNC
IR (2) - Thomas Jefferson, Hosp of the Univ of PA
EM (9) - Vermont, Yale, UCSF, Sinai, Sinai Morningside West, UNM, UC Irvine, Northwestern, Maimonides
EM/IM (1) - LSU New Orleans
FM (6) - Inova Fairfax, Emory, Mckay-Dee Hospital, HCA Tristar, Morehouse, Brown/Kent
Gen Surg (12) - GW, UM/Jackson (2), UI Peoria, Kaweah Delta, Montefiore/Einstein, Rutgers, UC Davis, New Hanover, Duke, NYP Weill Cornell, UM/JFK
IM (33) - MGH, UAB, UM/Holy Cross (2), UNC, Sinai, Rutgers (2), UM/Jackson (5) UC Irvine, Thomas Jefferson, UM/JFK, Stanford, Loyola, Baylor (2), UTSW (2), VCU (2), U Maryland, Barnes-Jewish, Duke, NYU, Hopkins, USC,
IM-Primary Care (4) - BUMC, Cambridge Health, Hopkins/Bayview, NYP Weill Cornell
Med-Peds (2) - UIC, Loyola
Neurosurgery (2) - UConn, Northwestern
Neuro (5) - UCSF, UM/Jackson, Sinai, Emory, NYU
Ob/gyn (21) - UCF, UF Shands, UM/Jackson (3), Baylor, Thomas Jefferson, BUMC, NYP Columbia, Baylor, U Tennessee, Emory, Montefiore/Einstein (3), Pennsylvania Hospital, Cleveland Clinic, Detroit/WSU, Rutgers, NYP Weill Cornell, Medical College of Georgia
Ophtho (7) - USC, UCLA, NY Eye and Ear, Yale (2), Ohio State, UIC, EMory
Ortho (14) - UM/Jackson (5), Suny HSC Brooklyn, Barnes-Jewish, U Rochester/Strong, Orlando Health, UF Jacksonville, CMSRU/Cooper, St Lukes - Bethlehem, UCF
ENT (4) - Duke, UM/Jackson, Ohio State, USC
Pathology (1) - U Colorado
Peds (16) - Nicklaus Childrens, Brown/Rhode Island, UM/Jackson (2), Broward, Vidant/East Carolina, W Washington Affiliated, Sinai, Cincinatti Childrens, UC Davis, U Colorado, Baylor, UTSW, UCLA, USF, UC Irvine
PMR (1) - Baylor
Plastics (5) - USF, UM/Jackson (2), Zucker Northwell, OHSU,
Psych (8) - BWH, UCSF, Harvard South Shore, Hopkins, UM/Jackson, Carolinas, UNM, Emory
Urology (5) - U Colorado Anschutz, NYP Cornell, Medstar Georgetown, University of PA, University of Toledo

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My unofficial summary of our list since I'm procrastinating on actual responsibilities and the official de-identified one isn't online yet - probably some errors. I left out prelims but there were a couple prelim only matches, looks similar in number to previous years to me. Not sure on number of unmatched

University of Miami

Anesthesia (10)
- UM/Jackson (6), BWH (2), NYP-Columbia, MGH
Derm (6) UM/Jackson (2), SUNY HSC Brooklyn, Zucker Northwell, Eastern VA, NYU
DR (7) - Tripler, UM/Jackson (2), U Colorado Denver, Mt Sinai Miami, Barnes Jewish, UNC
IR (2) - Thomas Jefferson, Hosp of the Univ of PA
EM (9) - Vermont, Yale, UCSF, Sinai, Sinai Morningside West, UNM, UC Irvine, Northwestern, Maimonides
EM/IM (1) - LSU New Orleans
FM (6) - Inova Fairfax, Emory, Mckay-Dee Hospital, HCA Tristar, Morehouse, Brown/Kent
Gen Surg (12) - GW, UM/Jackson (2), UI Peoria, Kaweah Delta, Montefiore/Einstein, Rutgers, UC Davis, New Hanover, Duke, NYP Weill Cornell, UM/JFK
IM (33) - MGH, UAB, UM/Holy Cross (2), UNC, Sinai, Rutgers (2), UM/Jackson (5) UC Irvine, Thomas Jefferson, UM/JFK, Stanford, Loyola, Baylor (2), UTSW (2), VCU (2), U Maryland, Barnes-Jewish, Duke, NYU, Hopkins, USC,
IM-Primary Care (4) - BUMC, Cambridge Health, Hopkins/Bayview, NYP Weill Cornell
Med-Peds (2) - UIC, Loyola
Neurosurgery (2) - UConn, Northwestern
Neuro (5) - UCSF, UM/Jackson, Sinai, Emory, NYU
Ob/gyn (21) - UCF, UF Shands, UM/Jackson (3), Baylor, Thomas Jefferson, BUMC, NYP Columbia, Baylor, U Tennessee, Emory, Montefiore/Einstein (3), Pennsylvania Hospital, Cleveland Clinic, Detroit/WSU, Rutgers, NYP Weill Cornell, Medical College of Georgia
Ophtho (7) - USC, UCLA, NY Eye and Ear, Yale (2), Ohio State, UIC, EMory
Ortho (14) - UM/Jackson (5), Suny HSC Brooklyn, Barnes-Jewish, U Rochester/Strong, Orlando Health, UF Jacksonville, CMSRU/Cooper, St Lukes - Bethlehem, UCF
ENT (4) - Duke, UM/Jackson, Ohio State, USC
Pathology (1) - U Colorado
Peds (16) - Nicklaus Childrens, Brown/Rhode Island, UM/Jackson (2), Broward, Vidant/East Carolina, W Washington Affiliated, Sinai, Cincinatti Childrens, UC Davis, U Colorado, Baylor, UTSW, UCLA, USF, UC Irvine
PMR (1) - Baylor
Plastics (Integrated 5, ) - USF, UM/Jackson (2), Zucker Northwell, OHSU,
Psych (8) - BWH, UCSF, Harvard South Shore, Hopkins, UM/Jackson, Carolinas, UNM, Emory
Urology (5) - U Colorado Anschutz, NYP Cornell, Medstar Georgetown, University of PA, University of Toledo
Thanks for sharing this! Is there a breakdown for MD/MPH students? No worries if not, I was just curious!

Thanks for sharing this! Is there a breakdown for MD/MPH students? No worries if not, I was just curious!
not yet, if they send us one I can share! I don't quite have the dedication to sort that out from the main list, but if there's a specific specialty you're interested in could probably pull out some of the MPH matches

For anyone who interview the last couple weeks, March 24th is their final review day, correct?

MS2 involved in Admissions Day here -

If you can DM any feedback from your interview day (especially the lunch portion with med students), it would be greatly appreciated! We want to improve the experience in case we end up with Zoom interviews this Fall. Thank you! :)

Is it true 16 people didn't match?
Everyone managed to get a spot after SOAP, but yes we had more students who had to SOAP than prior years. This seems to have been an issue with other medical schools nationally (obvi due to COVID and ppl hoarding interviews).

Just a piece of advice to everyone in these forums... in the end of the day make sure to pick a medical school with an affiliated large academic center. A lot of us at Miller know that if shi*t hits the fan, we have a lot of close connections with our hospitals who frequently take their own students (including competitive specialties). This might be even more important for your class with the transition to P/F Step 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Current medical students: Is there a list of medical supplies that we need to purchase as MS1 students? Also, are we required to have miller branded lab coats for clinicals etc/ can we wear non-miller branded lab coats during clerkships. I wanted to start getting stuff ahead of time and was thinking about buying a few labcoats, so I don't have to wash my coat everyday but don't want to have to pay to have them all embroidered if I don't have to.

Hello. I was recently offered a scholarship here of 30k per year (I'm MD only), but was also offered another one from a T25 that was for 38.4k per year. Has anybody had any success leveraging scholarships at Miller, or any insight on how to do it? Also, the tuition at the other institution was higher than UMs, but I am not sure if that matters. Thanks!

Current medical students: Is there a list of medical supplies that we need to purchase as MS1 students? Also, are we required to have miller branded lab coats for clinicals etc/ can we wear non-miller branded lab coats during clerkships. I wanted to start getting stuff ahead of time and was thinking about buying a few labcoats, so I don't have to wash my coat everyday but don't want to have to pay to have them all embroidered if I don't have to.
They’ll give you the embroidered white coat. In terms of having more I think you’ll have to embroider them out of your own pocket. I don’t think there’s a specific rule for it but it’ll be weird if you wear one that isn’t embroidered. Also like you won’t be wearing it a lot (maybe only for clinics) other than you’ll be wearing the Patagonia a lot more tbh. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE THINGS FOR THE PHSYICAL EXAM lol (especially not the ophthalmoscope). If you have the cash to burn you can buy them to practice but it’s really not necessary

Hello. I was recently offered a scholarship here of 30k per year (I'm MD only), but was also offered another one from a T25 that was for 38.4k per year. Has anybody had any success leveraging scholarships at Miller, or any insight on how to do it? Also, the tuition at the other institution was higher than UMs, but I am not sure if that matters. Thanks!
Yes you can def leverage offers. That’s what.I did. PM me and I can show you what I sent!

Reactions: 2 users
Of course that matters! It's the first thing they'll look at. Which would you rather do, attend a $100K school with a $50K discount, or attend a $30K school with no discount? Do you think the $30K school would match and give you a $20K refund??? :)

If you need more money, definitely ask for it. But, don't use the fact that you are receiving a scholarship worth an extra $8.4K elsewhere if the net cost at the other schools is still higher than Miami as the reason to ask for it, because, honestly, if you think you are asking them to match, you are actually asking them to reduce your scholarship to equal the net cost at the other school!

Last edited:
For the 3/22 interview date can we really expect to have a decision on 3/24 (or 3/25 since it seems like they’re a day behind)?

I would not expect a decision. They at most review ppl who interviewed 2 weeks prior and a friend that interviewed on the 15th, her group was told that they most likely would be waitlisted unless their interviewers submitted their reports very quickly

I would not expect a decision. They at most review ppl who interviewed 2 weeks prior and a friend that interviewed on the 15th, her group was told that they most likely would be waitlisted unless their interviewers submitted their reports very quickly
what do you mean they would get waitlisted? Like because they are interviewing relatively late they are most waitlisting them?

Congrats on the scholarship!! I was wondering, is your scholarship just merit or merit + need-based and anything else? I already received my merit based scholarship but I am still waiting for my full financial aid package and was wondering if this is what you received? Thank you so much!

Are we supposed to contact the admissions office if we haven't heard anything after interview? I had my interview on February 12th and silence since then. On the portal it states, "Contact the admissions office at 305-243-3234 or [email protected] if you do not receive a telephone call, an e-mail or a letter within seven days"

what do you mean they would get waitlisted? Like because they are interviewing relatively late they are most waitlisting them?

It’s that the last adcom meeting for the normal cycle is on Wednesday (and that’s not enough turn around time for interviewers to submit their reports) and the rest of the meetings will be sporadic-ish and will be due to waitlist movement. So you’ll just be put on the alternate list and then hopefully hear back as seats open up

Are we supposed to contact the admissions office if we haven't heard anything after interview? I had my interview on February 12th and silence since then. On the portal it states, "Contact the admissions office at 305-243-3234 or [email protected] if you do not receive a telephone call, an e-mail or a letter within seven days"

Email that admissions email first and if they don’t respond in a day or two I’d email Weisman directly and tell him you tried the general email first

Anyone get a need-based FA (Not merit-based/diversity) offer yet? If not, does anyone know the timeline for those? Will they come out before April plan to enroll deadline?

Do u mind sharing your general stats range/ if you negotiated using another school/ if you got by mail on March 1st? Thanks.
Sure! I got a 10k merit scholarship, notified March 12th via email with a letter dated March 1st. This was my first communication with the financial aid office since acceptance. Hoping to get some more money lol! We shall see. My MCAT was 99th percentile and my science and cumulative GPA were both around 3.7. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on the scholarship!! I was wondering, is your scholarship just merit or merit + need-based and anything else? I already received my merit based scholarship but I am still waiting for my full financial aid package and was wondering if this is what you received? Thank you so much!
Wait you could get more than this based on need too? The scholarship states that “based on your overall record and accomplishments” so maybe it’s just merit. I initially thought this offer combined need, merit, and diversity (because that’s what they said on interview day I think). It does say later down the message that the “scholarship will be posted as part of your financial aid award” so maybe there is more?

Hello, I interviewed on the 8th of February. They said they'd get back to us either 2/24 or 3/24, so i think we were just unlucky and it's 3/24. That's why it's taking so long. Hopefully we get good news this week!